• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fit in the back??

Eddie Foy

South Florida
I am looking at getting my SE Sea rating at Brown's.
I can do it in a J-3 or a PA-18. I am 6' 4" and 205. Will I fit in the back of a J-3? I barely fit in the back of a Supercub.

I am looking at getting my SE Sea rating at Brown's.
I can do it in a J-3 or a PA-18. I am 6' 4" and 205. Will I fit in the back of a J-3? I barely fit in the back of a Supercub.
I'm bigger than you and I did it in a J-3 It was a tight fit, not very comfortable, but doable. Biggest problem was feet on rudders. Not a lot of room for size 14 shoes!

It's not the money. My goal is to bounce a check on the day I die! I wanted to do it in the J-3 because I haven't flown one. I rode in the back of my PA-18 once and my head was bumping the overhead.

Spend the extra money on the Super Cub, your kids don't need the inheritance. ;)

Will Ware, who started J3-cub.com was over 6'7 and 250+ and flew from the back seat with sz15 shoes
Scott R, at your biggest in the back seat?

Glenn

PIC can be in either seat in J 3. Not much headroom aft, and not much legroom up front, though. Oh, yeah, then there’s the headache rack up front, otherwise known as the wing spars.

MTV

I know that but every video I have seen of a Jack Brown student has them in the back. Makes sense to me since that's where you have to solo it.

PIC can be in either seat in J 3. Not much headroom aft, and not much legroom up front, though. Oh, yeah, then there’s the headache rack up front, otherwise known as the wing spars.

MTV

Do it in the 18. I suppose there is a certain amount of nostalgia to be claimed with the J3, but the 18 beats the pants off it with any considerable load, like floats and two people.

I flew at Jack Browns back in June. Instructor sat in the front.

Very light J3, 2 up, full fuel, high temperatures, the performance was no problem.

Some of the best flying I have ever done. You will love it.

Last edited:
J-3 or PA-18 ?
You are there to learn how to fly floats, not for a thrill ride. Use the J-3, the one with the smallest engine. Your purpose is to learn the techniques which are involved with handling a seaplane. If you use a higher horsepower airplane you will launch out of the water without having time to understand just what is happening. With the lower power you will need to finesse the controls finding the optimum positions of the floats in relation to the water. Horsepower will launch you into the air, proper technique will get you out of trouble later on. Learn the techniques. You can try the PA-18 later.

When I got my SES, it was in the front seat of a PA18. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that from the back seat of a J3... When the instructor got out and the 250lb examiner got in, you wouldn’t have got the thing off the water with an 85hp.

Pete,
I agree completely!

J-3 or PA-18 ?
You are there to learn how to fly floats, not for a thrill ride. Use the J-3, the one with the smallest engine. Your purpose is to learn the techniques which are involved with handling a seaplane. If you use a higher horsepower airplane you will launch out of the water without having time to understand just what is happening. With the lower power you will need to finesse the controls finding the optimum positions of the floats in relation to the water. Horsepower will launch you into the air, proper technique will get you out of trouble later on. Learn the techniques. You can try the PA-18 later.

With the SES rating you can jump into a 185 or 206 on floats. Nothing about the back seat of a J3 is important. If you want to explore floats with low power, go to a big lake and use reduced power for taxiing and takeoffs. But in the big scheme of float flying that part is pretty simple for a pilot to learn and understand.

It would be incredibly boring if we all thought the same way. They are 100 hp J-3s and the FAA designees are all named Brown.

When I got my SES, it was in the front seat of a PA18. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that from the back seat of a J3... When the instructor got out and the 250lb examiner got in, you wouldn’t have got the thing off the water with an 85hp.

I rather doubt that anyone will let you "jump" into a 185 or 206 with a fresh rating and 6 hours in a Cub. I am doing it because it will be fun, it will count as a BFR, and I haven't flown in a year. Plus I just want to fly a J-3!
I doubt that I will ever use the rating.

With the SES rating you can jump into a 185 or 206 on floats. Nothing about the back seat of a J3 is important. If you want to explore floats with low power, go to a big lake and use reduced power for taxiing and takeoffs. But in the big scheme of float flying that part is pretty simple for a pilot to learn and understand.

You just proved Pete's point. C85 is a hotrod, they did it for years with 65hp or less

Glenn

Eddy, I did my SES at Brown’s in one of their 100hp J-3s and I’m 6’4” and certainly a bit heavier then you. Worked just fine and was a hell of a lot of fun! I’ve been back a few times just for the fun of it when I’m down there.
They set me up with a skinny instructor for the front seat and then John was my examiner. I would do it again in a second and the only down side for me was my knees would get a little sore by the end of the lesson. Still the only J-3s I’ve flown and there was no lack of performance.
Jon

Yes. It became a project. Currently in many pieces. I am on the Christmas card list of ABI, Aircraft Spruce, and Tropic Airpower. Also Garmin and Electronics Internatonal.

??
Didn't you just buy a 180 or 185 fairly recently?
??

Glad to know someone else is supporting the aviation vendors. Keep up the good work!

As Pete says, the J-3 is a great teacher, albeit an O-200 and Aqua floats are kinda cheating.....nevertheless, whichever seat you’re in, you’ll have a blast. Which, in the end, what it’s about.

And good luck on your project.

MTV

If part of the practical standards test involves "docking," I would choose the airplane that is easiest to get in and out of.

Also, if the J-3 doesn't have a starter you might be required to hand prop it and climb in.

If you don't have one already you should get a copy of the Practical Test Standards.

I never had the chance to fly a Cub on floats and look forward to doing so. The big HP float planes ,as stated, hop off the water and I think it keeps you out of trouble but it takes quite a while to learn the fine points. Have fun.

I never had the chance to fly a Cub on floats and look forward to doing so.
You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. I did my SES in a light '12 with flaps, a 135 (290-D2) and a Borer 82-41. It was on Edo 2000's and a delight to fly. A very good performer.

I did my SES at Browns in 1995 and try to go back there any time I can - which is every time I am in the US and Florida is an option. I have flown other planes on floats - 12, 18 and 20 and done advanced courses, but that first SES rating with Jon and Chuck really sticks out in my memory. I am not quite 6’ so either seat of a J-3 is no problem and I keep a J-3 for whenever I want to fly cheaply just for the fun of it. My 2cents is go there, use the J-3s (you do fly from the back but that’s part of the fun, like hand propping from the float) and you will not regret it

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back