• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East winter Fun 17/18

Ha, should have done that on the lake.

My other 11 driver friend Frank and i for years played the face game. We both fly the ice a couple times a week. First one would do the circle, next one by the eyes the next the smile.......It's harder then it looks

Glenn

Just talking lite snow in the Dacks on Sat. Thinking Saphouse for breakfast then Raquette lake ice harvest for lunch. Any takers?

Glenn

As long as I can get out of house and off the airport on straight skis, I should be good for at least breakfast.

pb

Just a quick off topic question for you New England guys. Im getting ready to pull the trigger on some airstreak tires for my plane. They will be going on my 100hp t-craft and can’t decide between the 26 or 29 inch. I mostly fly into cow pastures, bumpy hayfields and would like to start landing on some sandbars. I’m also curious how bigger tires handle snow drifts on the lakes, my 800x6 tires get very exiting at times. I put Skis back on today but hoping to have new rubber by spring mud season.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

We tried to get to saphouse, Misty and heavy snow. Took 4 tries to get off and hit rain half way there.

We drove over

Glenn

I got prepped, had a runway, but never got vis. Felt like JP. Shackled to the county.
That waffle looks good.

What’s the story behind the Amish breakdown/incident? Low Visibility and icing? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Went fishing for a couple hours and kept a couple pike. Ended up having to scrape ice off the wings for a hr to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Just a quick off topic question for you New England guys. Im getting ready to pull the trigger on some airstreak tires for my plane. They will be going on my 100hp t-craft and can’t decide between the 26 or 29 inch. I mostly fly into cow pastures, bumpy hayfields and would like to start landing on some sandbars. I’m also curious how bigger tires handle snow drifts on the lakes, my 800x6 tires get very exiting at times. I put Skis back on today but hoping to have new rubber by spring mud season.

I'd recommend starting your own thread on that. You'll get a lot more opinions. I'd personally recommend the 26s but that is just an opinion based on what people are using around here. Not from personal use.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Sprinkles most of the day at 33F. Wife and I went for a drive after breakfast and we went to a couple place we fly over. I re discovered how much fun this is to do in a car again

Amish lumber yard. Impressive place

Amish grocery store

How often you get to see 5 handsome mules. You think starting your snowblower is tough, how'd you like to get this engine together and started going in the right direction?

Most of the Amish around here moved up from Kentucky and Maryland, most of the kids discovered how much fun the cold brings. They love hockey

Peter, Amish DWI, horse refused a breath test, he was chewing on a cherry tree before the vet got there :-( kidding, they we're ice fishing on my float pond

Fun day

Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks on the recommendation for the 26” tires. Ive done a lot of searches on this site and the t-craft site and found that most people regretted not going bigger. I’ve decided to go with the 29s and if they don’t work the way I want I’ll sell and get the 26. Thanks again. And if anyone flys into kfso on skis watch for the 12’snow bank when landing on the turf runway 1

Pay particular attention to minimum fuel quantity in the main nose tank with large tires & Taylorcraft. Local lost power on takeoff in a similar configuration due to unporting the main outlet with low fuel, 29" tires, high takeoff AOA, and maybe inertia of the fuel onboard to the rear. Taylorcraft recommends 3 gallon minimum with their approved tires. You'll be experimenting with anything taller so pay attention.

BTW he glided back to the remaining runway and no harm. Even unported while taxiing he told me later.

Gary

Penobscot Valley. Ceiling 200. Vis .25. Fog. Rain. I love Maine. However, The Family Princess reports skiing was fantastic up at the Loaf today.

Thanks Gary for the advice. I’ll do som testing at a safe altitude when I get them on. It surprises me how high of a aoa and slow I can get it to fly with full power. I haven’t tried it yet with less than a 1/4 tank but when the sky’s open up again I’ll give it a run. We’ve been having what I call company weather, while I’m stuck at work it’s been blue sky’s and calm winds and as soon as the weekend comes it’s snowing, raining or 20+mph winds.

Thanks Gary for the advice. I’ll do som testing at a safe altitude when I get them on. It surprises me how high of a aoa and slow I can get it to fly with full power. I haven’t tried it yet with less than a 1/4 tank but when the sky’s open up again I’ll give it a run. We’ve been having what I call company weather, while I’m stuck at work it’s been blue sky’s and calm winds and as soon as the weekend comes it’s snowing, raining or 20+mph winds.

Wing tanks?

Glenn

I have 6 gallon tanks in each wing. I usually just run my 12 gallon main tank when flying locally. I’ll fill them when I’m headed somewhere, I can get to our family farm and back (300 mi.) and still have a hr of fuel left. By time I’m low on fuel I’m either frozen or cramped up and need to stretch my legs anyhow.

Not really the Thread's main topic so will keep it short. Taylorcraft flys on main 12g nose tank like J-3. No header but the tank is tapered at bottom to contain most of the fuel forward/firewall. Can be flown with wing tanks draining if their fuel caps have a pressure port forward. By design the round Rochester fuel gauge on main reads Empty when there's "about" three gallons left in normal attitudes tested. The 9 gallons out of 12 max are placarded as useable. On big tires or under high AOA and some acceleration fuel can move aft more than expected. What's left is fuel line, filter, carb to supply gas.

So yes Adam please test and fly with >Empty indicated if at unusual attitudes. The last 3 should be useable in level or descending flight but maybe not at 3-point with big tires.

Edit: The F-19 Taylorcraft was certified under CAR 3 plus subsequent amendments per TCDS 1A9. See §3.429 and on for fuel system determinations, and §3.672 for unusable fuel marking requirements: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgccab.nsf/0/73377eeb0c2129fb86256dfe005fdf58/$FILE/part2.pdf

I wonder if Airframes Alaska confirmed the minimum fuel level and flow requirements with their tires installed. A stoppage has been previously reported at minimum fuel while departing on floats.

Gary (got too long, sorry)

Last edited:
Had freezing rain all day today so I decided to make up some wing covers. I stopped by Joann fabrics and nylon ripstop was 50% off so I bought 25 yards (3 different colors) and began pinning, taping and cutting. I was able to get one sewed up with the help of our dogs and now I just need some bungee cord to finish up. I think by the time I’m done they should weigh less than 5 pounds combined. I was gonna make a engine cover but decided I’d be better off buying one already made, it was gonna be a PITA getting it to fit right. Any of you guys have preference on engine covers? I was thinking Bruce’s for the price. IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 182
I see your dog, like mine, is very helpful. This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today... 2018-02-11 16.58.42.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-02-11 16.58.42.jpg
    2018-02-11 16.58.42.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 202
Looks like a day well spent. We’ve got a 140lb bloodhound too But he just lays around and sleeps all day. Hopefully we get some sunshine and cooler weather this week.

So, I guess the one hour of scraping ice off your wings yesterday was your inspiration?? Nice work, good for you!

Don't buy an engine cover, make one from an old sleeping bag. Make a pattern out of polyethylene cut and tapped together, easy, I can't find a pic of the one I made on my plane. If you don't have an old bag go to a thrift shop.

I Learned some ski flying lessons yesterday. When it’s 30* out and snowing the plane freezes up with water drops and flat light could wreck a plane if not careful. I touched down on the lake when I thought I had another 20’ underneath me. I had a buddy check for pressure cracks before I arrived otherwise I wouldn’t have landed out there.

I see your dog, like mine, is very helpful. This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today... View attachment 35187

You guys in dreary town are bringing us down with your hang dog mood! The hon Lou and wife Kathy have joined us for the weekend, spent looking at Ferraris, Lamborghini, and Porsche at a huge car show in Naples where plastic surgery is doing well

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Lou can you open the door it's hot in here. Did you see that girl waving at us with no top on ?"

Looking forward to Toms folks stopping by for dinner this week, looks like record highs all week

Get your head up son

Jim and Lou

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
1piece@atime, the engine cover I made from an old sleeping bag

2018-02-11 20.41.21.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-02-11 20.41.21.jpg
    2018-02-11 20.41.21.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 174
“This was the extent of the flying in Penobscot Valley today...”
208011BC-E06E-4C37-BAB8-08DDED0BA1F5.jpg
Not so. I laid all kinds of tracks Sunday just stayed below 900’ and didn’t go too far from home. Had to pack it in about 1 for the rain coming in. Got 3 or 4 inches of powder last night, couple feet total. Really impressed with the trick air skis today in the deep stuff. Bet I landed 20 different fields
FDD0414B-0089-4444-BB38-FB1FBABBC328.jpeg

Attachments

• FA086F76-0075-4C49-BB7C-B3753C3EEC86.jpeg
    FA086F76-0075-4C49-BB7C-B3753C3EEC86.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 208011BC-E06E-4C37-BAB8-08DDED0BA1F5.jpg
    208011BC-E06E-4C37-BAB8-08DDED0BA1F5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 168
  • FDD0414B-0089-4444-BB38-FB1FBABBC328.jpeg
    FDD0414B-0089-4444-BB38-FB1FBABBC328.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited: