• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 engine options

skukum12

The Last Frontier
Howdy Gents

My 54 Cessna 180 has a tired O-470 J11. I hear that a K or an R motor will drop in with out changing the cowl or the motor mount. There are minor exhaust and intake changes, but overall it is a quick clean swap from what I am told.

Is this true? I need input so I don't go throwing away money on wrong ideas.

Thanks, Joe

No, it is NOT a straight drop in for an R motor. A K motor may fit in OK with little mods but an R is a different matter. The motor mount is different, the exhaust is different, the intake riser system is different, the carb is different, and the baffle system is different. The STC leaves a lot to be desired on the instructions for installation. We did a J to R change out about a year ago and ran into all of those problems.

Steve

Thanks Steve
What is the real reason behind "if it's a J, walk away" besides lower than rated HP? Can the J be powered up? I hear if the studs are correct, the J can take K jugs. I'd think this would be a good way to go without changing a boatload of other items.

I always heard A or J walk away. The J I had ran great and unless I am mistaken we used that motor mount on the IO520e case we did my PPonked with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My memory says there is a stud difference and cylinder difference from j to K, and there might be a better crank in the K and newer...

I had a K, and when I needed the engine I went to Texas Skyways and had them put one on. Same cowl, and other stuff, but by the time we inspected engine mounts and such I had almost a new fwf...

never regretted it after I wrote the check.

Thanks Steve
What is the real reason behind "if it's a J, walk away" besides lower than rated HP?

I believe it's because the J and A jugs have less cooling fins. Here in Ak, it's no issue. Elsewhere??????

You'll need new baffling if you go to the later jugs. The J/A style will NOT work.

PS, I know a story about a guy (everyone knows the guy) who turbo'ed some J's. Probably the highest HP/Weight ratio EVER. He liked the J's cause he said the bottom ends were really strong. D

....are not compatible with the Pponk upgrade if that's in your future.

SB

umm.... wasn't there a pponk model year cutoff about then as far as built in fuselage engine mount structure/design.... or something... not that I have not seen it, but as far as using the STC directly???

I have a K that replaced an A. No STC needed. You can use an R if you use the oil pan and induction "Y" that the carb bolts to from a J. My friend's 1955 had a J and it's bottom end with big though bolts was just like an R and he could have bolted K,L,R, or S cylinders on.

I'm running the J in mine, it has the new style steel insert pistons in as well as the new exhaust guides. The only problem I have is keeping the oil cool here in FL in the summer, below 80 OAT it does fine. I have a standard size stand up cooler but may go to a long one. The temps are manageable in the summer, I just have to leave the cowl flaps open till I get to cooler air. Like everyone else, I wish it had more power but I probably wouldn't be be happy with 400hp if I had it.

On the swap to a K, You can keep your mount by swapping the legs from the J and you will need to put new flanges on the exhaust as the J is 2 bolt and K is 4.

As far as I know the Pponk engine upgrade applies to all 180s. I think the early 182s weren't covered but it's been a while since I did mine and I really didn't pay much attention to the 182s on the list. At that time my engine mod STC was Pponk but there was another STC required from a guy in Oregon to install it. I think Pponk owns the installation STC now. Maybe the model list has changed? Thinking back it seems that Texas Skyways' STC was more focused on 182s than 180s. Maybe that one has some 180 models not included. A friend has the TS big motor on a '59 but he's the only guy I know with a TS engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_O-470

SB

My 1964 G model 180 is a Texas Skyways O-550FTS.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lou

Thank you gentlemen. After much questioning, and reading your replies, things look like this: my J case has the right studs to go to K, L, or R jugs. I also have the correct crank to use the R jugs. Any jug change (K, R, etc) will require 4 bolt intake and exhaust flanges. Since I am able to use my J case, I can use my mount, my intake Y, cowl, and will exchange my carb for a newer version.

So the next project is finding out what 'seaplane' prop will go with the project. Looks my stocker prop was built in '59 and the boys at Dominion Prop in Anchorage (Jerrry was out of the shop, will call him tomorry) say it is obsolete and not worth the time and money to find parts. Evidently much more cost effective to get a new or a good used prop.

Soooo, what is the seaplane prop you boys like for a 180 that will never see floats? A side note: the prop was OH'd in '91 with a 5 year or 1200 hour tbo, is this tbo somthing that is like the engine tbo, in that you can fly it forever as long as it passes inspection and not for hire?

Yes, on the prop TBO.

I have a couple of choices for your motor, maybe. 88" and 90" two-blade McCauley.

D

Dave, Seems you recently had some ideas on fuel injection on the 0520 engines. Are you working on an STC or know a route for field approval? Other than FI is there opinion or preference about using a 520 case as I am starting with the 470? I notice that's what el gran poobah did with his PPonk.... Anyone have a line on a good IO-520 case?

Skukum, A friend has been very happy with his smooth running J with R jugs. Will be interested what you pay for your prop. Don't think mine will apply to your swap or be available in time as I'll be doing things this summer/fall. Would still be helpful to know what a good 88" Mac is worth in trade in.

Dave, Seems you recently had some ideas on fuel injection on the 0520 engines. Are you working on an STC or know a route for field approval? Other than FI is there opinion or preference about using a 520 case as I am starting with the 470? I notice that's what el gran poobah did with his PPonk.... Anyone have a line on a good IO-520 case?

I think Steve knopp has the STC to do this. I also believe it takes the PPonk up to 300 hp. Depending on what case you start with I don't see why there would be a concern about using an O-470 case?

Matt, I did a Bendix fuel injection on my 180 with P-ponk motor in 2007. I had Steve put in the fuel pump gears when he built the engine for me using a 470 that he had in 2006, believe it was a U case. I talked to Bob at BJ custom aircraft in Alaska and he did the 337 for me. He went off a old STC from Bendix corporation, he was very helpful in getting this done.

I know why not just buy a 185? I have a very nice low time airframe and liked what I have so thats what I did. The injection system works great and would do it again! I also had Steve put in 8.5-1 compression pistons in and Lycon did there magic on the ECI cyls.

As far as the prop, I did the 83inch MT two blade. I would do it again. Took 40 pounds right of the nose of the plane and pulls harder with less vibration than the 401 3 blade mac. Once you recover from writing the check you'll never look back.

As far as the prop, I did the 83inch MT two blade. Once you recover from writing the check you'll never look back.

Until you hit a itty-bitty twig..........or a snowmachine trail marker.

.....big tires fling a rock forward.

......:)

..just joking. I'm really quite jealous.

SKukum. PM me. I've got a couple in the shed. A 90" that does not go with your crank/counterweights, and an 88 with great blades that might go on your engine. Yes, the price will be right.

Matt, that's a field approval for an IO-470 on an early 180. There are several 520's with Bendix injection field approved on 180's around here. Absolute RIIPPPPPERS! Seriously great takeoff and climb performance. The ones I'm thinking of have the original compression ratio. It would be hard to beat your later Robby 180 airframe with 300 or more HP's. :)

Whether you go from 230 HP to 260 or 300........you WILL notice a difference....but, hey, if you're changing things, and will run 100LL anyway, then go for 300 HP!!

.....wait.......wait for the smileys :) :) DAVE

Last edited:
If you put in the Bendix FI, do you need to put in the 185 fuel system?

I really like the IO550, and will strongly concider the Airplains conversion when my 470 wears out unless I find something better.

Mark, the Bendix doesn't have a return.......no header necessary.

The early 180 with IO-Continental I did (and am waiting another week for the approval) returns to a "T" in the main tank crossover vent line........no header necessary for Continental injection on this FA'ed installation.

Airplanes system requires header. PM me.

D

Until you hit a itty-bitty twig..........or a snowmachine trail marker.
I was showing my spray pilot friend my MT prop on the 180. He has a new Citabria with MT also. He said someone told him about someone tossing a ball for a dog to retrieve and the dog was so intent on the ball that it ran into the prop and broke a blade off.

just an FYI.. but I don't remember the exact details, maybe someone can fill in....

concerning converting a real 520 to a pponk... BJ did one for a customer, who everyone assumed it would get the higher TBO of the PPonk, but ended up stuck at the 520 TBO..... this was an airtaxi guy, so maybe his fed had something to do with it?

anyone?

just an FYI.. but I don't remember the exact details, maybe someone can fill in....

concerning converting a real 520 to a pponk... BJ did one for a customer, who everyone assumed it would get the higher TBO of the PPonk, but ended up stuck at the 520 TBO..... this was an airtaxi guy, so maybe his fed had something to do with it?

anyone?

was emailed this
I saw your post about the Pponk TBO. A buddy of mine got bit by that. His was a Texas Skyways motor advertised with a 2500 hour TBO. FSDO said 1700 hours per the original engine manufacturer’s specs. He’s part 135 so he had to buy a new engine. Ouch!

Skukum, A friend has been very happy with his smooth running J with R jugs. Will be interested what you pay for your prop. Don't think mine will apply to your swap or be available in time as I'll be doing things this summer/fall. Would still be helpful to know what a good 88" Mac is worth in trade in.

Jerry at Dominion Prop here in Anchorage just quoted me $6800 for the new C203 including shipping. Not bad.

Thank you gentlemen. After much questioning, and reading your replies, things look like this: my J case has the right studs to go to K, L, or R jugs. I also have the correct crank to use the R jugs. Any jug change (K, R, etc) will require 4 bolt intake and exhaust flanges. Since I am able to use my J case, I can use my mount, my intake Y, cowl, and will exchange my carb for a newer version.

Skukum I have a friend with a higher time J. And I have some O470R cylinders. Your mods sound good! What are you doing for paperwork? Thanks

honestly i am not a ppw expert. i do know it is a straight forward mod and is fairly common, so ppw 'should' be easy. i will call my engine guy and get the info from him and post monday for you.

prolly a boatload of guys here that already have the answer who are more than welcome to chime in.

Back