• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Budget hangar heat

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
So my little t-hangar has too of the 6000W Marley infrared heaters. They both need elements (as you can see), etc which cost more each than the heater. Any suggestions on replacements or better ways to go about it? It does not get that cold here - maybe zero once in a while, but mostly 20's in the winter I suspect. I'm just trying to keep the hangar at 50.

heater.png

Attachments

• heater.png
    heater.png
    733.3 KB · Views: 2,197
tube style overhead propane radiant heaters work great. I heat 4800 sq ft with 20 ft ceilings with one.

It's going to need to be electric in this place I don't have any place to put a propane tank. I've never had heat and hangar before I actually think it's overkill down here but it'd be nice to have a little electric something to warm things up.
tube style overhead propane radiant heaters work great. I heat 4800 sq ft with 20 ft ceilings with one.

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

How much time do you spend there? Lots of good, clean burning, Kerosene heaters on the market. Also propane convection is a good... (100 lbs tank doesn't take much room, unless it's not allowed..)

take a picture of your heater and send it to the company and tell them your having some bad thoughts about them. or send this picture to them. test out the customer service. the rest of it looks like its in pretty good shape.

take a picture of your heater and send it to the company and tell them your having some bad thoughts about them. or send this picture to them. test out the customer service. the rest of it looks like its in pretty good shape.

These way more than exceeded their stated life, they are over 20 years old.

sj

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I've had one of these for 4 years in my pole barn. It's not big: 24X24, but it's tall. When it's zero out I still can get 68 degrees inside. It always will hold 50.

https://origin.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631888_200631888

You'd probably need 2. They are 5000 or 7500 W.

I probably would only need one, or at least I would start with one. I don’t need it that warm and it does not get that cold here.

Thanks

sj

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

[h=2]Budget hangar heat ????[/h]I hope your energy fuel costs are low where you are. You have to be rich to keep a hangar at 50 degrees all the time here in the NE. And even the rich people complain about the cost.

Run a duct down there from Chip's hangar, he'll never know. ;)

There are some nice keroseen and propane heaters on the market now that can warm that place up quickly when needed. The kerseen heaters work great on readily available jet fuel and I am sure they have to sump all there stuff there daily.

Budget hangar heat ????

I hope your energy fuel costs are low where you are. You have to be rich to keep a hangar at 50 degrees all the time here in the NE. And even the rich people complain about the cost.

It's a little warmer down here in AR, and energy costs here are pretty low compared to Kansas City at least. Main thing is there is some plumbing in the hangar to keep from freezing. I don't want to have to drive to the hangar and turn on the on-demand heat (kerosene, stoves, etc) when the temps drop so needs to be on a thermostat.

sj

They have them with thermostats now. If you just want to keep the plumbing from freezing a small space heater will work but probably be nice to install a modern replacement for what you have when you need to do things in the hangar when it is cold. I just thought a kerosene or portable propane heater might be a better cost effective option for those times when you have to do something in the hangar.

I already have the thermostats, just need wire in the new 240V heaters. I could also just heat the plumbing I suppose, or hope that the hangar neighbor on the back wall heats his enough... :)

sj

I should have mentioned... it's not really a rest "room".... :) (quite an artsy photo with the handsome guy in the mirror, eh? :roll: )

potty.png

Attachments

• potty.png
    potty.png
    709.5 KB · Views: 2,239
"Direct fired heaters burn gas to produce heat. When gas burns, it produces water as a by-product."
Something to think about if your using a non vented heater.

There are two - 6K watts 240V radiant. None of the specs reference BTU's.

I think I will replace with a fan forced model like others have mentioned.

Thanks everybody!

sj

A couple hangars at my airport have ductless heat pumps.
I dunno a thing about them re purchase & operating costs,
but people sure like them for homes.
Might be worth looking into.

A couple hangars at my airport have ductless heat pumps.
I dunno a thing about them re purchase & operating costs,
but people sure like them for homes.
Might be worth looking into.

mini-splits are awesome! Have used them in other applications, but they won't work (logistically) for this.

sj

if you can put in a simple ceiling fan (turning slow) to de-stratify the air it will help a bunch with any heat source you choose.

Back