• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Covering around the rear windows?

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Do you typically put re enforcing tape around the exterior of the D (rear) window. If so, any tricks you can share on how you do it? Thanks

Do you typically put re enforcing tape around the exterior of the D (rear) window. If so, any tricks you can share on how you do it? Thanks

no,

just be very neat about gluing fabric into the window channels... and glue fully to both sides of interior of channel... or fabric may pull out if not locked in by window...

mask off interior edge of window channel, so as to keep it nice looking, and not get glue where it will show

I do, but not sure it is necessary. I put pinked tape over everything, including inspection rings and drain grommets. I agree - use care to glue the fabric into the channel. Takes patience, and maybe some wood wedges.

I do, but not sure it is necessary. I put pinked tape over everything, including inspection rings and drain grommets. I agree - use care to glue the fabric into the channel. Takes patience, and maybe some wood wedges.
I'm pretty sure I put tape on my super cub several years ago.........but been so long I can't remember exactly how I did it. How did you curve the pinked tape around?

You can work the tape around a corner with heat, if you have a little patience. I always put tape around windows or anywhere else that the fabric is touching a solid structure.
John

Remember the purpose of the tape is to reinforce the fabric where it gets beat against the window frame structure. It was always done when using Grade A cotton. Now with the modern Dacron fabric which we are using, I agree with mike that it is probably not needed. There was a bias cut tape which made it easy to work around tight curved areas. If you wish to use Dacron, Hardtailjohn's method of using heat will work. Tedious, but doable.

I cut a curved tape from a scrap piece of fabric. Cut to size.

I just did a Citabria and a PA-11 using Superflite. I cut short sections of paint sticks and wedged the fabric into the window groove and let the glue dry throughly. Then carefully broke the sticks loose from the glue. I didn’t use tapes on the Citabria, as the original fabric did not have them, but did on the PA-11. I did like Dave and cut a curved tape and worked it down into the grove just like the fabric. Very tedious, but the glue stick worked well to hold the fabric and tape into place until the glue dried. Some places, the tape or fabric pulled loose with the piece of paint stick, but a putty knife and fresh glue worked it back into place.

Fabricman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There you go. Cut tapes out of scraps. Always pink the edges. The Cub has no place that requires bias tape, but if you use it for Gods sake cut the splices out!

Remember the purpose of the tape is to reinforce the fabric where it gets beat against the window frame structure. It was always done when using Grade A cotton. Now with the modern Dacron fabric which we are using, I agree with mike that it is probably not needed. There was a bias cut tape which made it easy to work around tight curved areas. If you wish to use Dacron, Hardtailjohn's method of using heat will work. Tedious, but doable.
Just pulled cotton off of a factory cover job on a ‘64 -18, and it didn’t have tapes around windows. I put them on though...

Wax paper around the end of the stick Marv, works great!
Hope you're good buddy.

I just did a Citabria and a PA-11 using Superflite. I cut short sections of paint sticks and wedged the fabric into the window groove and let the glue dry throughly. Then carefully broke the sticks loose from the glue. I didn’t use tapes on the Citabria, as the original fabric did not have them, but did on the PA-11. I did like Dave and cut a curved tape and worked it down into the grove just like the fabric. Very tedious, but the glue stick worked well to hold the fabric and tape into place until the glue dried. Some places, the tape or fabric pulled loose with the piece of paint stick, but a putty knife and fresh glue worked it back into place.

Fabricman

Wax paper around the end of the stick Marv, works great!
Hope you're good buddy.

Doing pretty well, Dave. Have my Arkansas hangar under contract for sale, and am moving to Homer, AK. Am buying a lot and building a shop with an attached apartment . Am headed back to Arkansas now to load up the tools I am going to keep and sell everything else. Will be calling in a few days for a small favor! Starting a new fabric business up here.

Didn’t try the wax paper as I was working in Canada and had none handy!

Back