• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Identify This Fuselage

Henny

FRIEND
Ely, MN
Anybody tell what this is from the photos? Thanks.

Henny

Fuselage.jpg

Fuselage II.jpg

Fuselage III.jpg

Fuselage IV.jpg

Ribs.jpg

Attachments

• Fuselage.jpg
    Fuselage.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 312
  • Fuselage II.jpg
    Fuselage II.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Fuselage III.jpg
    Fuselage III.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 516
  • Fuselage IV.jpg
    Fuselage IV.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 282
The wood ribs look like Wag Aero ribs for a sport trainer or 2+2. The fuselge looks cub-like. I can't make out the photos on my phone very well, but I'm guessing it was a Wag project.

Vic

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That would be a money pit fuselage:). Lots of people see them but don't know what it really is, often go by the names of great deal/steal/bargin/simple project. Some even have wings on and are flying. Is that toe brakes I see?
DENNY

I believe this is the engine that came off of it...

Engine.jpg

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 220
I don't think these parts are related except as bits and pieces gathered in the hope of making something. Could be a legit J-3 fuselage, or maybe a J-2 with the 40HP but I don't think any Cub had wood ribs.

My J-4 has wood spars and ribs which was not uncommon. The J-2 I worked on was wood spar, aluminum ribs but I recall my father saying the J-2 he learned to fly in was wood rib.
If I recall I still have original cowl pieces here from that J-2.

My J-4 has wood spars and ribs which was not uncommon. The J-2 I worked on was wood spar, aluminum ribs but I recall my father saying the J-2 he learned to fly in was wood rib.
If I recall I still have original cowl pieces here from that J-2.

I've seen loads of wood spars, but never encountered wood ribs from Piper. I have no experience with J-4's. Anyone else know about this? I'm curious. There were plenty of variations. Early J-3's had recesses in the floor for some older kind of brake cylinder, and some early J-3s had an extra vertical brace in the landing gear V. My folks were told that that model J-3 was not legible for 85HP upgrade. J-2's had a rope like cord for the trim cable instead of wire and you just moved the cord with your hand - no crank. ;-) Sorta like when your single pulley trim stops working...

I've seen loads of wood spars, but never encountered wood ribs from Piper. I have no experience with J-4's. Anyone else know about this? I'm curious. There were plenty of variations. Early J-3's had recesses in the floor for some older kind of brake cylinder, and some early J-3s had an extra vertical brace in the landing gear V. My folks were told that that model J-3 was not legible for 85HP upgrade. J-2's had a rope like cord for the trim cable instead of wire and you just moved the cord with your hand - no crank. ;-) Sorta like when your single pulley trim stops working...

I've been around a lot of J4s and I'm pretty sure none were made with wood ribs. I also have E2 and J2 Cub time and I loved the clothesline trim, simple and worked great.

Glenn

I've been around a lot of J4s and I'm pretty sure none were made with wood ribs. I also have E2 and J2 Cub time and I loved the clothesline trim, simple and worked great.

Glenn
I guess there is nothing new. I was wondering why nobody tried a line of some kind for trim. A couple wraps on a boat winch has a lot of grab.

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Glenn

George D whom chimed in on my build thread, flew his J4 up to visit, his is also a wood rib plane.

I just texted Clyde and asked if J4 have ever had wooden ribs. He said " never "

Wood spar but Alum ribs

Glenn

Henny, It's a Wag Aero. Just spent 4 1/2 years building one almost to the finish before health problems made me stop. I recognize the wood ribs in my sleep, (26 counting the two tip ribs). L4s never had wood ribs,(I was building mine as an L4 and did a TON of research). The fuse is REAL close to the J-3, but notice the pass, side window should go down into the fuselage instead of stopping on the longeron, the 3/8ths inch channel at the front should weld directly to the vertical longeron making up the fire wall structure. on and on and on, it's a Waggy. Jon

Tango Cub PA-18 fuselage?

Continental A-40, I doubt that this engine was intended for this airplane. If it was, hopefully the pilot was small and planning to fly at sea level.
I think I saw a similar engine on some military target drones about 60 years ago. I think McColough made some of them.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I think I saw a similar engine on some military target drones about 60 years ago. I think McColough made some of them.
Henny's is a Continental A-40 which was used in the Taylor E-2 Cub.

This is a McCulloch 2 cycle drone engine.
McCulloch40hp-1.jpg

Looks like a J3 fuselage to me. Can't see anyone taking the time to make those tail inspection frames like the J3 and don't most Wag Aero's have fixed trim? It isn't to early unless someone changed the tail spring pad. Door hinges and boot cowl supports are J3.

Back