• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin 796.. OR... iPad in Air Gizmo mount in center panal ???

If I had my iPad connected to my GDL39-3D the right side of the split screen view would have attitude indication and more detailed synthetic vision just like my G3X. Not like there's much to see in central Texas. ;) It's a great setup.

Stewart, I've been wondering about that. What does a G3X offer that Garmin Pilot with the appropriate inputs doesn't do?

I'm still trying to figure out far ahead. It seems like a couple of G5s, a well set up tablet, and proper radios would be all one would need.

Vic

Hi Stewart, all the things you bring up are real and accurate, but the government call the shots with no consideration for the general users. Sooo, yes and no on equipping all the planes with ADS_B. Most yes and the Turbine with the 1090 because we use it in the Canadian Arctic. It is expected that the Canadians will go to that as of 2021, it also has a form of Tcas. My 185 and Husky in Alaska will get UAvionex (I'm a dealer) because headed into ANC and the weather craps out you will either need ADS-B or several pens to write why you did everything on that flight wrong and needed to shoot a approach.IMHO ADS-B installed has nothing to do with safety , it's all about doing what you have to for legality. To be honest going into Lake Hood , if everybody had ADS-B by the time you figured out you had a problem ,by looking at a screen, then looked out and finding your target , then taking evasive action or just keeping your head out when Vfr , up to the user.
Now when your out in bad VIS. Blasting thru Rainey Pass and its living up to its name ADS-B would be great if everybody had it working. But like you said that isn't going to happen so let's just keep announcing on common freq. like we do and head out looking. Sorry for my option but it is what it is.

Vic,
My G3X has a magnetometer, a dedicated ADHRS module, WAAS GPS module, engine information system, remote comm, remote ADS-B out transponder, and auto pilot. It’s far and away a more powerful and more accurate instrument than my iPad with GP. The nav screen is similarly impressive, but it ends there.

Tom,
Here’s my reality these days. How many planes based at these strips do you think have ADS-B out? Not many, I assure you. I believe the concept of ADS-B traffic is good but the execution is piss poor. The aviation apps being discussed are great tools, especially with ADHRS. To get an app or app accessory for access to ADS-B “in” traffic? In remote Alaska? Not a great plan in my opinion. My only reason for commenting is to help Alex understand the equipment strengths and weaknesses.

Image1555897829.121673.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1555897829.121673.jpg
    Image1555897829.121673.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 294
I agree with you , I must not have gotten across what I intended. What you just posted is about what I meant, the way it's being done makes it not so good. No argument that if done right it would be good and I ,like Alex need to be able to go into Canada and class C airspace so getting the right equipment is importain. There are so many ways to go it spins your head, $2000. To $10,000 plus.

I will be ADS-B out in a few months. Just so I can go into Anchorage or for when I fly out of state.

Why would you need ADS-B to go to ANC? Have they done away with the cutout of ANC Charlie airspace so you can’t go in and out of LHD without a transponder?

MTV

Hi Stewart, all the things you bring up are real and accurate, but the government call the shots with no consideration for the general users. Sooo, yes and no on equipping all the planes with ADS_B. Most yes and the Turbine with the 1090 because we use it in the Canadian Arctic. It is expected that the Canadians will go to that as of 2021, it also has a form of Tcas. My 185 and Husky in Alaska will get UAvionex (I'm a dealer) because headed into ANC and the weather craps out you will either need ADS-B or several pens to write why you did everything on that flight wrong and needed to shoot a approach.IMHO ADS-B installed has nothing to do with safety , it's all about doing what you have to for legality. To be honest going into Lake Hood , if everybody had ADS-B by the time you figured out you had a problem ,by looking at a screen, then looked out and finding your target , then taking evasive action or just keeping your head out when Vfr , up to the user.
Now when your out in bad VIS. Blasting thru Rainey Pass and its living up to its name ADS-B would be great if everybody had it working. But like you said that isn't going to happen so let's just keep announcing on common freq. like we do and head out looking. Sorry for my option but it is what it is.

It’ll be interesting to see how AIA handles exceptions to ADS-B. It doesn’t seem like no ADS-B would be a problem with a mode C txp. As it is they accommodate no txp ops with permission. Especially when Hood traffic is directed there. I don’t expect that’ll change. Time will tell.

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see how AIA handles exceptions to ADS-B. It doesn’t seem like no ADS-B would be a problem with a mode C txp. As it is they accommodate no txp ops with permission. Especially when Hood traffic is directed there. I don’t expect that’ll change. Time will tell.

Dunno if it's applicable to that specific area,
but FAA has announced a policy re: non-ADSB ops inside SADSB required airspace:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://generalaviationnews.com/2019/04/09/faa-issues-policy-for-flying-without-ads-b-after-2020/[/FONT]

I believe the concept of ADS-B traffic is good but the execution is piss poor.
I believe they have shifted the burden of ATC equip costs to us users and have put in place the infrastructure for future user fees. ADS-B bad, not good.
In addition, eventually they very well may use it for enforcement purposes. My understanding is the 978 "anonymous" mode still sends a signal so that FAA knows who you are. You may be invisible to other aircraft and to the online flight trackers, but not to the feds.

Last edited:
Well yeah, The do not care about our safety as much as they simply want to keep track of us. There is a reason they mandated ADSB out , while not giving two hoots for IN.[/I]..

I wonder how tough the Canadians are going to be if I am just cutting down the coast from Ketchikan to Washington..?

Here is the direction I went on the panel for the 180. VFR guy on skis and floats and I hate a loose ipad in the cockpit.

ADS B out to me was a no brainer with the Uavionics Skybeacon wing tip mount. If the Canucks ever get their specs in line and it turns out I need it I will upgrade and sell the Skybeacon. For now the out is easy peasy and well under $2K installed (by me with my mechanic snickering as I tried to get the wing tip back on.

ADS B in is with my homemade easy to assemble Stratux flight box with AHAR's. It is on my floor under my seat with power to it and antennas up on top of windshield behind visors. It talks to my iPad mini.

For the iPad I went to the panel flush mount Guardian. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ps/ipad_mounts/ifdrmount13-18919.php
I was close to going to the Garmin G6 but that efis panel market is hyper technology and I am holding out for a cheaper VFR solution. I left the vacuum in for now with the though I can pull it later and go glass(ish) as I need. For now the iPad is right there and it is my primary nav 99% of the time. With ADS B in talking to it I get weather and traffic and I also load up any docs I need in there (my recipes for fish camp etc). The Guardian has an option for an extra USB power outlet and I remoted that behind the panel and run it to my Stratux under the flap handle tunnel along with antenna wires.

Here is the panel cut and before it went for powder coating. I left a good 6 pack in there and also a LOC/GS in case I have a bad day. I pulled IFR cert on the TXP and will keep that for emergency use.

Need to clean out the center stack of radios and freshen it a bit. I have a JPI simple engine monitor and EI FPL-5 fuel flow and totalizer and will likely stay with those for a bit. Expense and I don't like everything in one basket theory on upgrading those to single screen all in one units.

4757U Panel.jpg

Attachments

• 4757U Panel.jpg
    4757U Panel.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 213
Paul Jackson:
Have you compared that mount to the AirGizmo mounts? If so, are there any pros and cons between the two?

I have not done anything for the last 9 days. I had severe pneumonia and almost cashed in my chips a few days ago.

Alex:

I did not like the previous air gizmo mount I had for a previous Garmin and was looking for an alternative. The Guardian is very well made and my only complaint would be the wiring is a little hard to do (laugh away I am not good at making multi pin connectors and I am comfortable with that). The flush mount and finished look is what i was looking for and I have hired out the wiring.....

To John's point there is an optional fan mount on the back available for the Guardian.

Overall very impressed with Guardian.

Hope you feel better Alex.

Rumor has it that Garmin will introduce a 796 replacement in early 2020. It will most likely be thinner like the iPadMini and not have a screen bezel like the 796. Think updated 660.
Lou1

Back