• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Surrendering the Man Card?

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
I have been trying to figure out an easy way to go hunting on all the logging roads around here. Many places I can land, but where I want to hunt is ten miles away.

My travel plan, still in it's infancy, is to buy a Honda Ruckus:oops:, make a quick release holder for the handle bars, dream up a slug/quick attach system for the frame at the foot board section, and make it a two piece package for the plane.:wink:

Then I get really off and have figured how to do a sidecar for the dog:roll:

Anyone else tried something like this? And succeeded?:p

Almost bought my wife a Ruckus for commuting and playing - I wouldn't get her anything I didn't think was cool to some degree so rest easy with your Man Card in hand.

I have been trying to figure out an easy way to go hunting on all the logging roads around here. Many places I can land, but where I want to hunt is ten miles away.

My travel plan, still in it's infancy, is to buy a Honda Ruckus:oops:, make a quick release holder for the handle bars, dream up a slug/quick attach system for the frame at the foot board section, and make it a two piece package for the plane.:wink:

Then I get really off and have figured how to do a sidecar for the dog:roll:

Anyone else tried something like this? And succeeded?:p

Hook the dogs leash to the handlebar, he'll figure the rest out once you start moving. ;-)

Glenn

Anyone else remember the old Honda Mini-Trail 50 & Mini-Trail 70's from back in the day.
Small bikes, 4 stroke, automatic clutch, folding handlebars.
The 50 was pretty tiny, but the CT70 would fit the bill.

A couple guys in the C170 Assn also modified the old step-through Honda Trail 90
by cutting the frame somewhere above the engine, and adding some sort of quick connect arrangement.
Lotta work, and probably weakened the frame a lot, but it did the trick for them.
Here's one link about this:
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3506

George

Take a look at the Rad Rover elec. bycycle. A bit heavy @50# but lighter than the options you mentioned and I can get mine in the 180 if need be and in "pedal assist" mode there is a 20+ mile range. The ride isn't bad with the fat tires and a folding version would fit in a proper cub.

Kirby

Anyone else remember the old Honda Mini-Trail 50 & Mini-Trail 70's from back in the day.
Small bikes, 4 stroke, automatic clutch, folding handlebars.
The 50 was pretty tiny, but the CT70 would fit the bill.

A couple guys in the C170 Assn also modified the old step-through Honda Trail 90
by cutting the frame somewhere above the engine, and adding some sort of quick connect arrangement.
Lotta work, and probably weakened the frame a lot, but it did the trick for them.
Here's one link about this:
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3506

Trail 70's
d85734327910f921cc5c3aad76a0f271.jpg

f1b14884c653b37081e40be0ee4e5db0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is chinese knock offs of the Honda Trail 70's around. The originals are big money since they are collectible. I don't know the service reliability of the knock offs but they are cheap and I've seen a few around. The Ruckus is cool and lots of aftermarket support if you can find a way to carry one.

DSC_6689.jpg

This is our setup, its a 1992 Yamaha Riva Razz. If I was going to do it again, I would use a Yamaha Zuma, lighter than a Ruckus and cheaper too.

Attachments

• DSC_6689.jpg
    DSC_6689.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 248
You need a BBSHD kit for a Montague Paratrooper Pro folding Mt. bike. Less then 50 lbs. 30 mph speed, 10 to 20 mile range, totally silent, geared right it will climb like a raped ape. 1 K for the bike, 1K + for the BBSHD and the battery. Lunacycle.com. I carry mine inside my Ran S-7, so no horrific drag of external carry ( think bedsprings).

IMG_1993.jpg

The Honda CT-70 (Trail 70) is the best thing going. That is how I get around the airport. Sure beats a golf cart.

Mini-In_1.jpg

They kinda caught on in Spokane at Felts Field. If you don't have a CT-70....well.....your just not part of the "in" crowd.

So....George....better get a CT-70 if you can find one.

Bill

IMG_1993.jpg

The Honda CT-70 (Trail 70) is the best thing going. That is how I get around the airport. Sure beats a golf cart.

Mini-In_1.jpg

They kinda caught on in Spokane at Felts Field. If you don't have a CT-70....well.....your just not part of the "in" crowd.

So....George....better get a CT-70 if you can find one.

Bill

Seems you have one to spare! Toss it on as a new MOD, and bring her up for me!

I really like that idea actually. Anyone have a suggestion where to find one?

Reminds me of Sturgis or Daytona.

"Which Softail is yours"?

"The one that matches my Doo Rag Fool"

Attachments

• Mini-In_1.jpg
    Mini-In_1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 146
Seems you have one to spare! Toss it on as a new MOD, and bring her up for me!

I really like that idea actually. Anyone have a suggestion where to find one?
In your original post you said that you wanted to travel ten miles to go hunting. What do you expect to shoot when you hunt? Or don't you expect to actually make a kill shot. One of these little put puts will get you there and back but you'll have to leave your game behind. I also expect that you will need to haul camping gear since you can't fly and hunt on the same day. ;-)

Weights

Honda Ruckus 194 Lbs
Honda CT 70 164 Lbs
Honda CRF 70 128 Lbs
Yamaha Riva Razz 115 Lbs

Yamaha wins in the weight department, but the crf70 is probably better built for off airport use. Tires alone will get you more places than the other bikes.
Now........how to fold one!?!?

IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 188
Camping at the plane is just fine, can depart in the morning. Figure I can either sidecar stuff back, or put it in a pack to get it to the plane. Often I am after birds, so a limit is not really that heavy;-)

I can see doing 10 miles out easy, but how would I charge an electric bike for the next day?

Some great ideas here. I am not looking for speed, roads are rough so a trials type gear would be best.

Lots of cool ideas, thanks!

Tom, bring me one of those!

There is chinese knock offs of the Honda Trail 70's around. The originals are big money since they are collectible. I don't know the service reliability of the knock offs but they are cheap and I've seen a few around. The Ruckus is cool and lots of aftermarket support if you can find a way to carry one.

The Chinese knock-offs are poorly made and service parts are unobtanium. Nothing from Honda fits them, despite what a perfect copy they appear to be.

This scooter discussion may be better over on the Maule site.....they got the room. For you Cub guys, get real! Carrying it outside? Sure, I can see ways to do so, for short distances and if you're willing to put up with the drag and the performance loss.

I carry my ebike inside, right on the CG, yeah I can't also carry a passenger but who cares, "sacrifices must be made." I have enough room for a 60 lb. capacity folding TRAVOY (folding trailer https://burley.com/product/travoy/) along one side, that easily hauls a couple gas bags if needed. That trailer also makes a pretty good hand cart, so when you tie down HERE but want to set up camp OVER THERE, you can haul your gear easily.

Under the bike, which is carried suspended off of the rear cargo deck, I have room for whatever, plus my main rear baggage, very similar in size to most SC's, is still there, plus I have a further aft baggage area for real light stuff. Point being, it's all inside so I can still get the same performance, meaning range, ROC, and cruise speed. So I can carry it often, and I do. I recently added a belly mounted (between the cabane) 6" aluminum tube with some cheap spinners on both ends, for external carrying of the batteries. Plus a 12 to 58 VDC converter so I can charge in flight of course.

This entire dog and pony show gets underway after landing easily in quite a bit less then 10 minutes after landing, including the trailer with the fuel bags. The bike is unsecured and ready to ride in about 3, the trailer in 1, and the rest of the time tying stuff down and making sure I didn't forget anything. Several times last year I was flying along, saw an interesting canyon with an interesting looking trail, found a place to land in the bush, and then went for a quick ride. A couple times these quick rides took a couple hours, and got me above 10K. ELECTRIC MOTORS DON'T SUFFER FROM DENSITY ALTITUDE!! In that picture with the bike on the cliff edge, I landed in the valley below, near one of the green fields and rode up 2,000'. Later the same day, after a recharge in my motel room, I rode another bunch of mountain miles up into the opposite side of the valley pictured. Then I rode to a good bar with cold beer, these ebikes are real handy. I'm doing all this with a 4 hr GPH Rotax 912S and a RANS S-7S combo, if I flew a Maule, I'd really have a setup. I frankly can't quite believe the utility of the setup I currently have, including that I still have a 8 hour duration at 85 mph and can land about anywhere, and do. The plane helps me find interesting places to ride, then I have to find a place to land, then often on the ride, I find a higher up place to land, it makes for a pretty fun day.

Attachments

• IMG_20160626_205913.jpg
    IMG_20160626_205913.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20160703_200020.jpg
    IMG_20160703_200020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
Back