• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stewarts System durability and longivity

Popcorn, anyone?

if it is non-toxic, how come my buddy wore a full body suit and face mask? You ought to be able to spray it with a bandanna around your nose.

Is there absolutely nothing in that finish coat that can hurt your lungs except for particulate matter?

I cannot speak to why you friend felt the need to wear that gear. What we recommend is simply a charcoal or organic vapor respirator. If you breath paint you are painting your lungs. It should be common sense that this would not be a good idea. Stewart systems is by far the safest conventional covering system on the market, that is indisputable. That being said, we would not recommend drinking it, with the exception of the thinner, I drink that daily. :) If anyone would like the SDS sheets, please email us and we will send them. That being said, I generally do wear a paint suit when I spray for two reasons, one it mitigates dust, and two, I like to keep my natural color. The overspray does stick…. As far as it being hazardous, all of my kids spray all of our products. As the owner, I am keenly aware of every raw material that goes into our products and I rest easy knowing that myself and my family use them. As far as any issues with blisters and such, I have seen these issues a few times. Nearly all, if not all of them have been in Alaska. It is still a small minority of the aircraft using our products in Alaska. The fact that we do not see this issue in the lower 48 leads me to believe that environment is the key factor. The fact that it happens on a small minority of aircraft indicates that is not an overall issue with the system but that there is unique circumstances to the ones that have experienced it. We did update the manual in 2017 and again in 2019 making it mandatory to seal the weave of the fabric with Ekobond to eliminate moisture exposure to Ekofill on the inside. As far as I can tell that seems to have mostly if not entirely eliminated it. It is also possible that a key factor is applying the products in an environment that is too cold beyond our temperature range, or not allowing EkoFill to fully dry before applying topcoat. EkoFill needs to be warm and dry before painting. I would like to hear feedback if anyone has experienced blisters with the Ekobond sealed weave. We have several shops in Alaska that we communicate with regularly use our products on many aircraft one after another and are not having any issues, so we know there is not an issue with the products or process if done correctly. If there are any issues that any of you experience with our system we certainly would like to be aware of it right away so we can isolate what factors may be involved. We have never been able to duplicate this issue in Ohio. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at andy at stewartsystem dot com. (forum doesn’t allow me to post email…)

Andy

I've heard about the potential for "back door" ingress moisture causing blisters. I've not owned a Stewart's covered plane so can't respond. I know those that have and have had issues. I do have the glue and silver experimentally attaching several inspection cover rings, and they are still holding hands over Polytone.

Parking outdoors successfully in Alaska with a properly prepared and applied plane would go a long ways to convince the cautious. Offer that data with documentation and pics as apparently that's already available. I'd not spend $30-50K on a basic cover job without some insurance for a 20 year TBO. This isn't 5-year cotton or linen fabric before recover days anymore.

Gary

I cannot speak to why you friend felt the need to wear that gear. What we recommend is simply a charcoal or organic vapor respirator. If you breath paint you are painting your lungs. It should be common sense that this would not be a good idea. Stewart systems is by far the safest conventional covering system on the market, that is indisputable. That being said, we would not recommend drinking it, with the exception of the thinner, I drink that daily. :) If anyone would like the SDS sheets, please email us and we will send them. That being said, I generally do wear a paint suit when I spray for two reasons, one it mitigates dust, and two, I like to keep my natural color. The overspray does stick…. As far as it being hazardous, all of my kids spray all of our products. As the owner, I am keenly aware of every raw material that goes into our products and I rest easy knowing that myself and my family use them. As far as any issues with blisters and such, I have seen these issues a few times. Nearly all, if not all of them have been in Alaska. It is still a small minority of the aircraft using our products in Alaska. The fact that we do not see this issue in the lower 48 leads me to believe that environment is the key factor. The fact that it happens on a small minority of aircraft indicates that is not an overall issue with the system but that there is unique circumstances to the ones that have experienced it. We did update the manual in 2017 and again in 2019 making it mandatory to seal the weave of the fabric with Ekobond to eliminate moisture exposure to Ekofill on the inside. As far as I can tell that seems to have mostly if not entirely eliminated it. It is also possible that a key factor is applying the products in an environment that is too cold beyond our temperature range, or not allowing EkoFill to fully dry before applying topcoat. EkoFill needs to be warm and dry before painting. I would like to hear feedback if anyone has experienced blisters with the Ekobond sealed weave. We have several shops in Alaska that we communicate with regularly use our products on many aircraft one after another and are not having any issues, so we know there is not an issue with the products or process if done correctly. If there are any issues that any of you experience with our system we certainly would like to be aware of it right away so we can isolate what factors may be involved. We have never been able to duplicate this issue in Ohio. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at andy at stewartsystem dot com. (forum doesn’t allow me to post email…)

Andy

I wouldn't expect much less from product owner than to defend the product. The place that did mine use your products almost exclusively and are in contact with your company on a regular basis and HAVE talked to you about issues so to say that you have never heard of them from shops up here is a false statement. This shop has painted a lot of planes with your product and its a crap shoot. Same conditions in temp controlled hangar, one job looks great, another will blister and be a pain in the a$$.

While you are on here, what is your recommendation to repair a blistered up wrinkle job that in warm sunshine looks good and cooler temps in the shade it will blister up and you can chase the bubbles around the surface with your finger?

Your above comments, Sir, show me that you have no real knowledge of Stewart Systems and are simply out to bash the product. Our system is not a resin; where do you get that idea? Fiberglass resin is not even remotely similar to a our paint. Waterborne systems are highly toxic you say ..... how is that even possible? You admit above that you have no idea of the makeup of the product but make claims about its chemistry. As an STC'd finishing system, it passes or exceeded all FAA certification for adhesion, flexibility, and longevity. Your above comments are simply incorrect and false.
Marty57

Waterborne paint is more than 50% polyester resin,every single one made and nobody denied it. Poly is a mechanical bond,not chemical. I suspect that's the root of the adhesion problems. If your products are different I would love to see your data sheet and I honestly hope your stuff gets better and better with time.

Waterborne paint is more than 50% polyester resin,every single one made and nobody denied it. Poly is a mechanical bond,not chemical. I suspect that's the root of the adhesion problems. If your products are different I would love to see your data sheet and I honestly hope your stuff gets better and better with time.

As the owner of Stewarts Systems pointed out in his post, you are welcome to email him for the data sheets on the product. When the process is followed correctly, there have been no adhesion problems reported to us. Many of the tech calls I receive bring out that the proper procedure has not been followed; something necessary with any covering system His email address is andy at stewartsystems dot aero.

As for repairing the blisters you have encountered, determination needs to be made as to where the failure has occurred. Removing the blister is the first step. When the blister is removed, what is visible; bare fabric, green EkoBond, primer (if used) or gray EkoFill? A photo sent to us of the blister removed area and the back side of the paint from the blister will allow us to determine what caused the problem and how to proceed with a repair.

Marty57

Presumably the above discussion applies to certified (?) / certificated (?) aircraft. Can a builder /painter of an experimental aircraft apply another manufacturer's topcoat after the ekofill without running into problems (as discussed above) or running afoul of the FAA?

Sometimes we get sneaky and think of "minor alterations." I can tell you that dope, rattle can, and Aerothane go really well on small repairs. Again, this is not Alaska.

I'm building a Bearhawk Patrol, and have never covered an aircraft before. When I was researching processes, Andy at Stewarts answered my questions promptly. Polyfiber didn't answer, but I like their manual...just could not get any response from there help line. Then I looked for a class during covid, Stewarts held one taught by Hardtailjohn. Polyfiber did not. A Stewarts class is three whole days, and you will paint.....safely. Its a bargain. Take there class.

I have had outstanding success installing fabric with there glue. I have installed a compressor, lines, regulator, filter and hoses IAW Stewarts recommendations. I am following there installation manual to a tee. I still hope to pain before it gets cold. After reading this thread I'm still planning on using their paint.

Seal the weave of the fabric with diluted Ekobond Cement. Some of there old videos have excellent content but shows a process that does not. I recommend Stewarts put effort to modifying these videos with the updated sealing process.

Seal the weave of the fabric with diluted Ekobond Cement. Some of there old videos have excellent content but shows a process that does not. I recommend Stewarts put effort to modifying these videos with the updated sealing process.

Good point on the videos. I had been tasked with your very comment and I have been working on updating the videos. The link below below will take you to our video library. I posted a video on filling the weave back in August, 2020 that I think is very helpful in showing the process as it relates to our Revision 4 Manual. I have posted a number of new videos in response to questions I have received as Tech calls. I'm more than happy to address other issues with new videos. I will be doing a new painting video with our currently recommended paint gun (the paint gun featured in our older videos is no longer available).

A also teach the three day seminars, as does John in Montana. I recently did a seminar here in California (May) and one in Minnesota (June). Prior to that was Alaska in February of 2020; note the obvious break. I will be teaching another seminar here in California; tentatively scheduled in late October. I also take tech calls; I'll help in any ways I can.

https://stewartsystems.aero/videos/

Marty57

Ekobond video.jpg

Attachments

• Ekobond video.jpg
    Ekobond video.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 96
That's funny, I had no trouble getting Polyfiber on the line during the first year of covid, and always got an actual expert to talk to as well. As a beginner, they were a big help to me.

John

I had no trouble getting Stewarts Tech support during Covid when I covered my plane....they were prompt and very helpful. I had a little trouble with spraying the top coat...but I'm so smart I had to make a mess before calling for help....after some coaching (I was doing it wrong) (cause I know better)lol....anyways, after getting set straight the paint was rather nice to spray. I am an impatient painter and don't always wait long enough....also...when I want to paint, I want to paint so temperature and humidy (for the most part) were not going to stop me....until I made extra work for myself. Follow the directions, and make sure they are the latest directions. and call for help early.

Around 2019 I think Stewart’s added the step Marty mentioned with the 3:1 glue/water mix to fill the weave. Do this before the UV coats and you get excellent adhesion. If anyone on here knows if a situation where this new step was done and still had trouble, I’d be interested to know about it.

Actually, they went "back" to that step. It had been eliminated when Stewarts bought the system. I haven't seen any failures when it's used as well. We did it that way for a long time.
John

Back