• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Odessy Battery and Cessna 185

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Any one fitted an Odessy battery to a Cessna 185 using original storage box,what particular battery?Thanks.Ron.

I think he meant the stock box. Mine's been gone so long I can't recall how big it was. The Odyssey PC925 would be my preference if it fits. Great battery. You can order it with the positive terminal on the right or the left so check your cable reach before you order one. You can also get the MJ version with a full metal jacket but shouldn't need that in your battery box.

And I agree, MLJ Aircraft's box is my choice for firewall boxes. Mine uses a PC625 battery, which I prefer to the more common PC680 or SBSJ-16. But mine is 20 years old. I have no idea what Michael's making these days.

Last edited:
f6d585c63a306b44527c47831e496334.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hi supercub 1999,I wish I could answer that question,I suspect NO unless it was the original or another approved (by our CAA) battery.Perhaps Mainland could join this conversation.
What are the rules in NZ? Can you stick a good AGM battery in it or do you have to use the odyssey? I stuck one of these AGM 385 CCA 30ah batteries, sits fine in the original battery box, cranks over better than my odyssey https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHLOO9A

My hangar neighbor owns a last year (1981) C180, when he told me he was gonna have to replace the battery I suggested an Odyssey.
But it turns out Cessna went to a 28v system on the 180 series starting in 1978.
Any suggestions for a lightweight alternative to a stock-ish Gill or Concorde?
BTW those 28v batteries are pretty damn spendy!

That was my thought.
Electrically speaking, should work fine.
But I'm thinking a lash-up like this might need some sort of approval?
(here we go again.....)

That was my thought.
Electrically speaking, should work fine.
But I'm thinking a lash-up like this might need some sort of approval?
(here we go again.....)
Yes, that was the vein I was thinking in - I know it would work electrically, but if MCS Mike sez it's ok, it's ok.

Batteries are a collection of cells connected in series. A 24 volt battery has twice as many cells as a 12 volt battery. The only difference between two 12s and a 24 is that the 24 only uses one box. There is no reason not to use two 12s in lieu of one 24. Will they fit in the original box?

Here we go into the "a battery is a battery" line of thought, again--
only this time it's "two batteries are a battery".
I'm sure it's safe, and logical, but what would the FAA reaction be?
I installed an Odyssey in my old C150TD,
bought the PA18/19-approved SBS-J16 and had my IA do a field approval from his maintenance inspector.
Maybe not required, at least according to some folks, but neither of them told me that the FA wasn't necessary.

Batteries are a collection of cells connected in series. A 24 volt battery has twice as many cells as a 12 volt battery. The only difference between two 12s and a 24 is that the 24 only uses one box. There is no reason not to use two 12s in lieu of one 24. Will they fit in the original box?

Anyone done this that would like to share their paperwork/wiring diagram? All of our aircraft have Odessy's... :roll: except the 1978 180K

Anyone done this that would like to share their paperwork/wiring diagram? All of our aircraft have Odessy's... :roll: except the 1978 180K

I just brought a 180K down from anchorage with this exact set up, on the firewall!

Two odessy batteries, positive aircraft cable to Positive of battery one, Battery one negative to battery two positive, battery two negative to aircraft ground. In series.

It looked like a standard box that held the two Odessy's.

Now, to double the cranking amps with two batteries both positives go to the aircraft Positive, both negatives go to the ground... but your voltage is that of the batteries.

The things I learned working on heavy equipment:roll:

I had a 72 Cessna 310Q for a few years. As the factory battery installation it had two 35 series 12 volt batteries hooked in series in the same battery box to act as a 24 volt battery. The earlier 310 probably used the same system. If it was good enough for one model Cessna, should be able to get approval for others.

Tim

For what it is worth, a neighbor just installed an Odessey PC-680 in his 185 standard battery box. 12 lbs lighter and cranks the big bore Continental much faster than the G-35 ever did.

I have thought of this change too the 185 because its nose heave to begin with so would this just not make it that much worse?
Has anyone had experience removing the rear battery and mounting an Odyssey up front in a 185?

Back