• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Seats By Sport Aircraft Seats

SchulerJL

BENEFACTOR
Peoria, Illinois
A good product plug for Sport Aircraft seat and Daniel Maccarone. I got tired of the brown cloth seats that did not match anything and decided to change them out to something more stylish. I saw Daniels seats on a rebuild when I was at Dan Byker's shop in Iowa and thought they looked very nice. I contacted Daniel at Sport Aircraft Seats, http://www.sportaircraftseats.com/sportaircraftseats/Home.html he was very easy to work with and great to communicate with even though He is in Wasilla Alaska and I am in Peoria, Illinois. Seats fit perfectly and give much more support than the old ones. Here is a picture of the old and the new seats. I would highly reccomend Sport Aircraft seats if you are looking to replace your seats.

IMG_3237.jpg IMG_3372.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_3372.JPG
    IMG_3372.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,604
Schuler, I second that. Daniel was easy to deal with. I arranged a purchase for a front seat for my -18 over the phone. I'm pleased with the product and the price was very fair. I plan on having Daniel do the seats in my Dad's cub also.

What seat are the ones you replaced, would you like to sell them maybe?

I think I'll hang onto them a while. The new ones are 1/2 inch taller and the foam is newer, a person over 6' will hit their head on the cross tubes with the new seats. I think I'll keep them until the new ones are broken in. This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?
GOPR2362.jpg

Attachments

• GOPR2362.jpg
    GOPR2362.jpg
    920 KB · Views: 369
This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?

Boy, you can say that again. I'm 6'1", my seat track has been adjusted further back so that there is no room for the rear stick. I leave my shoes off when flying. Even with a wide body fuselage, there is minimal room. Haven't banged my head, yet.

Boy, you can say that again. I'm 6'1", my seat track has been adjusted further back so that there is no room for the rear stick. I leave my shoes off when flying. Even with a wide body fuselage, there is minimal room. Haven't banged my head, yet.

Good to hear - I thought my plane was shrunk. Thinking back to other posts about what shoes to wear when flying, it is interesting to hear you fly without shoes. Some had said they wear Bunny Boots, Hiking shoes etc. - I could not get into my plane with boots on. I guess Cubs were made for 1940 sized people.

P.S. I do not have a wide body fuselage

You dont get in a cub, you put it on!

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

I think I'll hang onto them a while. The new ones are 1/2 inch taller and the foam is newer, a person over 6' will hit their head on the cross tubes with the new seats. I think I'll keep them until the new ones are broken in. This brings me to another question: What's the tallest super cub pilot you know? I'm 6 foot and I barely fit in my 1954 L21B. How does a "Big Boy" get in a SuperCub?
View attachment 15337

I can introduce you to a gent in FAI who owns a Cub, and he's 6 ft 7 on a short day. Never could figure out how he gets in that thing.

Many tears ago, a cowboy friend of mine in eastern MT flew a Super Cub and got in and out wearing his cowboy hat. He was 6 ft 6.

MTV

I got my tail wheel endorsement in a Super Cub last year (10 hours dual) 6'3" not Fat but not skinny either (3x size 17" neck). Everyone would chuckle when I would crawl in and out. Looked like a big carp flopping on the ground.
I really loved the Super Cub and really wanted to buy one but my body just doesn't bend in the places it use to. I settle on a Champ with a o-235, a little more room. My friend (who taught me in the Cub) and I do formation flying every once and awhile during the summer and they match up pretty good. I'm o.k. with that atleast I get to look at it right next to me, and every once in a great while someone will come along and like my Champ better. We just grin and try to avoid the Red- Green, or Ford Chevy discussion. :)

What type of foam are they made with? After looking at your pictures, I realize that the reason I fit in my Cub without any trouble is probably due to the relatively thin cushions I have.

Ah, just found this:

What type of foam do you use?

It depends on the type and use of aircraft. For most of our seat cushions we use layered HR Poly Foam. It is a very long lasting durable foam that complies with the FAR and can be used for most Part 135 applications. If fireblocking is required we use DAX Firehard foam.

Do you use memory foam?

We do not use memory foam in any of our seats for a number of reasons.

1. Lifespan: Memory foam has about 1/5th the life span of our HR Poly and Dax Firehard foams.
  2. Freezing: It freezes solid in the winter and depending on how cold it is can take 30 minutes or more to soften.
  3. Cost: It cost more than twice what our HR Poly foam costs.

The new cushions are indeed fire resistant foam and are about 1/4'thicker but they are not as "broken in" so the seat does sit higher. I just switched to 3" extended gear from Airframes and I still have great over the nose visibility with 31" Bushwheels. I originally was thinking memory foam, but found put it is very hard in the cold and very heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How are you liking the seat cushions? I'm looking into new ones, after my last cross country, I'm looking for something more comfortable.

Tom

How are you liking the seat cushions? I'm looking into new ones, after my last cross country, I'm looking for something more comfortable.

Tom

They are great! they have broken in just fine and the leather looks like new. I may actually part with the old ones are taking up a shelf in the hangar.

I'm torn between these and Oregon aero. The oregons are a little cheaper. And I've flown with them and know they are comfortable.

I've got Oregon Aero's in the SQ2 and they are super comfortable, even sitting in them all day for six days from Alaska to Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm torn between these and Oregon aero. The oregons are a little cheaper. And I've flown with them and know they are comfortable.

I'm not sure - but I think Oregon Aero are memory foam. The problem with memory foam is that in the cold it is a rock until your butt warms it. That may not be a problem in Texas. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

SQ2 Oregon Aero Seats

I'm not sure - but I think Oregon Aero are memory foam. The problem with memory foam is that in the cold it is a rock until your butt warms it. That may not be a problem in Texas. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I can't speak to whether or not it's memory foam, but I can speak to flying in -4F degrees and first thing in the morning after sitting all night in even colder temps the seats in the SQ2 felt no different then they do now when it's 80F outside.

photo 1 copy 2.jpg

photo 2 copy.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1 copy 2.jpg
    photo 1 copy 2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 664
  • photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 268
I can't speak to whether or not it's memory foam, but I can speak to flying in -4F degrees and first thing in the morning after sitting all night in even colder temps the seats in the SQ2 felt no different then they do now when it's 80F outside.

View attachment 24251

View attachment 24252
For cold weather I put in a 1 inch thick heated car seat pad that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20, plug it in to the 12 volt outlet and stay very warm. Heat is almost instant and has two settings. I did need to up the fuse size on the outlet, I'm sure its not fire proof but, I'm sure I could get it out of the plane very quickly if I smell f

Yes, Oregon Aero uses "memory foam" in their seats. I've spent a few thousand hours flying in these seats, including a fair amount of that time in interior Alaska winters. Yes, the foam is hard for a little while when it's cold, but your butt warms it quickly and you "melt" into the seat. That's the beauty of "memory or confor foam"- it conforms to you and provides superb support and comfort. The cold never bothered me at all.

We did add seat heaters, but they really aren't necessary.

MTV

For cold weather I put in a 1 inch thick heated car seat pad that I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20, plug it in to the 12 volt outlet and stay very warm. Heat is almost instant and has two settings. I did need to up the fuse size on the outlet, I'm sure its not fire proof but, I'm sure I could get it out of the plane very quickly if I smell f
Bill, you might want to check if the 12 v outlet has adequate wire size to support the demands of the heating pad. Fuse is there to protect the system as well as what you are powering.
if you smell smoke, it may be the wires under your panel, not your butt, in this case maybe both...
just sayin

Last edited:
I've had Oregon Aero seats installed since 2009 in my PA18. They're great. One problem: they're only as good as the underlying support. I had already replaced the bottom seat springs with solid panels, so no problem there, especially given the thick memory foam.

But after a few years, I found it helpful to strengthen the pilot backrest springs by interlacing wood strips horizontally across the springs in the lumbar region and up. Tune the number of strips as needed.

No problem with cold, they soften up within minutes (although I haven't any experience with the plane sitting out below 20 F.).

Back