• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Marion harrasses a beaver with a boat.

She's mentally ill and has local support to document that consistent behavior. Now what's the Court going to do to punish that illness?

Gary

The defense of insanity only works if she can prove that, due to mental disease or defect, she was basically unable to distinguish right from wrong and/or conform her conduct in accordance with laws. It is not an easy thing to prove. That she is still able to run a successful business and manage her affairs will work against such a defense. But, remember, I am often wrong.

There's no defense for her behavior. I've met a few like her over the last 58 yrs around Alaska. They first ask where you're from and how long you've been here. Then try to fill your world with theirs. None of my business in this case of course. The Court process and discovery will inform as to her mental competence. Opinion.

Gary

dy·nas·ty "a succession of people from the same family who play a prominent role in business, politics, or another field"

The smaller the community the more likely this can flourish into negative behavior. I'd say her shrimp boat captaining days are going before the big man or woman.

Gives me a negative opinion of Filson now.... Funny how "guilt by association" works.....

Almost every person I have ever met has done some good things. Those same people have all done some not so good things. Same with all the companies I have ever known. Our propensity to discount all of the good some have done because of a misstep (or series of them) has long troubled me.

I’ve made a lot of mistakes. I’ve done some really stupid stuff. I’m forever thankful to those who have forgiven me - or at least overlooked my failings.

I don’t know the boat lady, but my guess is she has had some good moments and maybe has done some good things. Do I think she needs to answer for this? You bet.

I was talking to a good friend on the phone this afternoon. Several times we talked about how different perspectives can be on the same situation (I.e. he said, she said).

I “associate” with all kinds of people. I hope to be judged by who I am, not by who I know.

That may or may not work out in my favor…[emoji3]

sj

It wasn't that long ago that once on the dock the Beaver pilot would have taken care of the situation, in not before.

Sort of interesting how at times two folks would have an issue and hammer it out...

not long after they would be friends.

Since we got where we punish the one that tackles the bully and sets them in their place, we seem to get more bad behavior that takes forever to correct.

Sometimes things go wrong, and we do stupid stuff. I just hope we always do it by accident.

My bet is there will be some type of plea bargain that will include loss of USCG license. I can't imagine the Coast Guard likes these types of actions from folks they have said are safe.

SJ said:
I “associate” with all kinds of people. I hope to be judged by who I am, not by who I know......

That's kinda my point.... It is amazing how quickly I can apply my opinion of the clearly negative behavior of her to the things she is associated with... Clearly Filson had nothing to do with her behavior.... BUT... it's the REALITY of "guilt by association"... I did not say it was appropriate to assign responsibility for her behavior to Filson, just that it is human nature to make that association.

A good friend of mine used to tell his kids...."Show me your friends, and I'll show you your future"... The point being, be careful who you associate with, it might rub off....

-----------

IN OTHER NEWS - There is no defense for the behavior on the video. PERIOD.

A good friend of mine used to tell his kids...."Show me your friends, and I'll show you your future"... The point being, be careful who you associate with, it might rub off....

-----------

My mom didn’t quite say it like that, it she did say that…[emoji3]

I read the article and was impressed with what she has done in her life. A lot of us don't like change, progress etc but we must except it. Like Web commented, her friends didn't say anything. Same thing I thought when I watched the raw videos of the police beating the kid in Memphis, couldn't someone in that group have said "hey, wtf are you guys doing?" I wonder about some of the bizarre things celebrities do, do they not have real friends that say "hey, wtf?"

I read the article and was impressed with what she has done in her life. A lot of us don't like change, progress etc but we must except it. Like Web commented, her friends didn't say anything. Same thing I thought when I watched the raw videos of the police beating the kid in Memphis, couldn't someone in that group have said "hey, wtf are you guys doing?" I wonder about some of the bizarre things celebrities do, do they not have real friends that say "hey, wtf?"

Its called herd mentality, Steve. And, you’re right….it’s not a good thing. But, I’m betting the guy in a “SCORPION Task Force” who says “stop beating that guy” is not going to be popular with his compatriots. That was a task force specifically formed and charged with stopping violent crimes. Three guesses how they were getting that done…..

MTV

Its called herd mentality, Steve. And, you’re right….it’s not a good thing. But, I’m betting the guy in a “SCORPION Task Force” who says “stop beating that guy” is not going to be popular with his compatriots. That was a task force specifically formed and charged with stopping violent crimes. Three guesses how they were getting that done…..

MTV
Yep, as I watched I couldn't believe no one, paramedics etc tried to render aid. The street light cam video shows about 20 minutes between the beating and anyone doing anything besides walking around. I couldn't do that job, no way. My Dad had a former Memphis police investigator that worked for him. He asked her once why she left the police department. She said she walked into a house where there was blood and brains all over the wall and it didn't bother her at all. She knew then she needed a different career.

Every time I read the title of this thread, "harasses a beaver with a boat",
it occurs to me that there would have been quicker response from the law if it had been a marine mammal being harassed,
instead of an airplane.
Try doing that **** around here in the Puget Sound area to an orca & see what happens.

Somewhat similar gun issue in Alaska. I have friend who had "felony DUI" conviction (that means 3rd DUI) over 20 years ago. Sober now. He can own and carry a rifle for hunting, but he cannot own or carry a handgun. We wondered if he could get in trouble for being in my plane with me when I had my 454 Casull with me. Never could find a straight answer.
As for Marian, the bossy boater, she doesn't need a gun. She expects everyone to duck, or bow, to her high caliber political authority anytime she shoots her mouth off. And anyone who knows a bit of Halibut Cove history knows that is no tongue-in-cheek comment. Sad reality that finally manifested in this event.
My brother has a similar conviction. We figured out as long as he didn’t handle my .44 magnum it was OK.

Legal team will pull some “more Alaskan than thou” BS and she’ll get probation. Might not do it again however.

Hey guys, anyone following this? We shouldn't let these things just drop without followup scrutiny to see if real justice is at least in process. By most accounts I hear these days, the so called justice system isn't anywhere close to justice. But we shouldn't give up. If someone knows and will share the pilot or company that this happened to, I will call them and see what they know.

Back