• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Found another cub.

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
It took a year and a few compromises but I flew home a new ride today, so you all can stop sending me links of planes to look at. :) I still look.

PIcked up a rebuilt Wag Aero Cub/Acro Trainer down in Kentucky. It's a bit unique as while the the Airworthiness still says that, it had it's wings rebuilt shorter, added flaps, and made removable by someone 3 owners ago. The story is the owner trailered it behind his RV, then put the wings on and flew around taking photos before driving to the next stop.

Anyhow, my ride down fell through and it was a bit of a time crunch so I hopped a last minute United flight and got down there. Did as good of an inspection as I could without being able to bring the right tools on a commercial flight, but it did include removing a wing to inspect the mounting bolts, hence how I found out the story above about the earlier owner.

According to Inreach, I flew it 682 miles, 7 hrs of flight time, and 8-ish hours total if we include the two fuel stops and lack of lunch.

Dodged the typical snow squall by John Grahams so I couldn't stop and visit, and dodged another one in Central NY, which was very deja vu of my last "new airplane" trip home. But aside from a sore a$$ from the west wind pushing me all over, It went from a nice hangar to a, well, more blue collar one. :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

0kFI0X8eSB6lAVQ3hkyl2w.jpg

O-290D, 125hp - two 14 gallon wing tanks, 3 gal header tank. Wood wings, flaps, long ailerons, die spring shocks, currently has a Warp drive prop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 442
  • 0kFI0X8eSB6lAVQ3hkyl2w.jpg
    0kFI0X8eSB6lAVQ3hkyl2w.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 431
Oh, and for those without heat... here's a photo of how much I needed to pull it on for the entire ride home. That 5/16" prevented my shoes from melting. ;)

+6xCD3zAQOyZUabZI8ET0g.jpg

Attachments

• +6xCD3zAQOyZUabZI8ET0g.jpg
    +6xCD3zAQOyZUabZI8ET0g.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 292
I'm glad to see this too! I've been pulling for you to get back into some sort of cub.

It looks really nice--it spurs me on to get back to work on mine.

Vic

Great looking bird, can't wait to hear how she flies once you get a chance to wring her out a bit!

Nice airplane. I saw that cub on an airstrip near Lexington,KY a few years ago. Experimental cubs are the best if you are not planning on any commercial flying. Less government involvement is always a good thing.

All right Pete, congrats. Now all your bird dogs can lay down.
Speaking of bird dogs, you should check with the pheasant king in VT

i think he has an 0-290 engine caught up in the cleanup getting a place ready for his new baby. Out with the old kinda deal

jim

All right Pete, congrats. Now all your bird dogs can lay down.
Speaking of bird dogs, you should check with the pheasant king in VT

i think he has an 0-290 engine caught up in the cleanup getting a place ready for his new baby. Out with the old kinda deal

jim

I do I do. 0-290D2 core, running well when removed for 0-320 install on my Pacer 30+ years ago.
Congratulations Peter.

Peter,
As soon as I saw the first photo in the text messages yesterday of the instrument panel I knew something was up . Glad to see you in the air again. Chip

Lol, good catch Dave. I spent a lot of time watching it on the ride, but as I told Cruiser, I didn’t push any buttons... [emoji23]

In all fairness it’s appears to be a pretty sweet little engine monitor. JPI VM 1000c, there’s a YouTube video or two on it. I had wondered when the last owner suggested cruise settings like 21.6... not expecting to have a manifold pressure gauge in a low power cub.

Bob, little tough to tell yet as I was getting pushed from just after takeoff all the way, but with little tires it may be 90+. The airspeed indicator does need some calibrating, as it kept showing speeds higher than ground speed, while going downwind.

It needs some changes and inspections before getting wrung out too much.
Front seat is low, even with a booster cushion. A new seat with a taller leanback will fix it.
Brake cables are a bit close to the rudder pedals so your feet catch them. Should be an easy adjustment.
Control stick is short, giving a heavy feel to the controls and hard to be precise with elevator. (3 landings and only the last one was an acceptable one) A new stick will fix it, but a little less cable tension and some lube on the push pull tube bell cranks in the wings will go a long way.
Brakes are clocked wrong and only one somewhat works, seems be to Grove and Cleveland. Have to sort that out.
And while it sounded fine in Kentucky after flying for hours the WOT throttle setting for takeoff/climb seemed noisy/not right. Flying commercial down I couldn’t take the boroscope and leak down kit, so I’ll do that now. The 290d has solid lifters that are supposed to checked every 100 hrs, I didn’t see any logbook entries stating specifically it was done, so could be their a bit loose when hot. Cruising at 21.5-22” and 2280-2350 rpm all seems normal.
Maybe plugs, carbon, carb, valves.

I also know nothing about the Warp Drive other than its usually seen on a Rotax. I may go to a ga Sensenich like I did before.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I carry tools on the airlines, you just have to check them and you usually get one of those TSA inspection cards inside letting you know how safe your tool bag is now.

On another note, I have electric flaps operated by a three button switch pad that are easily preset to any position. Typically you would set 1 as full up, 3 as full down, and 2 at halfway. Well full down is like freaking vertical barn doors, so I set 3 at what Appears to be a normal flap angle. When deployed, it causes tremendous buffeting to the tail, which the short stick transfers easily to your hand. So I can make it less, but does anyone run out of elevator due to flap turbulence?

I also know nothing about the Warp Drive other than its usually seen on a Rotax. I may go to a ga Sensenich like I did before.

Welcome to Smiling Jims used propeller Shop
Kindly direct your attention to the classified adds for a wide selection including a like new sensenich ground adjustable. Here at Smiling Jims we have paper airplanes for the kids. Bring the missus for a glass of wine in the hangar
see you soon!

Lol, I’ve seen that smile before Jim! Due to my relationship with Sensenich I believe they have something they are cooking up with me in mind. We will see...

Lol, I’ve seen that smile before Jim! Due to my relationship with Sensenich I believe they have something they are cooking up with me in mind. We will see...

Not sure you want a "Ground Adjustable" that gets adjusted like the last one:roll::oops: More civilized to use tools to change pitch.:)

That said, congratulations! Glad you are an aviator again, and I expect a ride in that girl at the WAD!

Now the bad: downgrade sir, you are flying the same color as Tom Ford and Uncle Eaton!!! Best find a good attorney as you will be blamed for ALL the troubles8)8)

Don't panic on the TV screen stuff. Learn to look for changes and it will go fine.

Enjoy learning a new plane. My bet you will find the wood wings are a great ride, and soon you won't be able to get out as the smile will be wider than the door.

...The airspeed indicator does need some calibrating, as it kept showing speeds higher than ground speed, while going downwind.

When deployed, it causes tremendous buffeting to the tail, which the short stick transfers easily to your hand. So I can make it less, but does anyone run out of elevator due to flap turbulence?
Peter, Send me some pictures of the trailing edge of the wing in front of the flaps in both up and down positions including a side view. Also your pitot and static tube/ports.
We will come up with a solution.

Not sure you want a "Ground Adjustable" that gets adjusted like the last one:roll::oops: More civilized to use tools to change pitch.:)

That said, congratulations! Glad you are an aviator again, and I expect a ride in that girl at the WAD!

Now the bad: downgrade sir, you are flying the same color as Tom Ford and Uncle Eaton!!! Best find a good attorney as you will be blamed for ALL the troubles8)8)

Don't panic on the TV screen stuff. Learn to look for changes and it will go fine.

Enjoy learning a new plane. My bet you will find the wood wings are a great ride, and soon you won't be able to get out as the smile will be wider than the door.

I see no problem at all with another white and red airplane with big tires

I had to sell a yellow one just to save from being blamed again for one of NY G's indiscretions at 6B0.:oops:

Control stick is short, giving a heavy feel to the controls and hard to be precise with elevator. ......, but a little less cable tension and some lube on the push pull tube bell cranks in the wings will go a long way.
Install one of these in each aileron hinge hanger to reduce the stick loads on the ailerons. If not in each hangar just the one where the control horn is. Loosening the cables will make the controls a bit sloppy.

4XFF9_AS01

That’s always a good idea Pete, but I learned last year there was a difference between a tight cable, a well adjusted one, and a sloppy one. It seems the tight ones increase drag from every pulley.
With the push pull tubes on the wings the only cables are in the cockpit so it’ll be easy to see.

George, the first one was mismarked which lead to a breakdown in communication. But still light years ahead of trying to deal with Nicole. The corrected ones worked excellent.

For those that didn’t know, The GA Sensenich uses a pitch pin to set angle - insert pin, twist to touch, and torque bolts - only thing faster would be a constant speed.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

You did mention tubes in the wings. I did not realize that you meant all the way from the root outboard. All of the pulleys in my Cub have ball bearings instead of bushings. That could be a future project for you to change over.

Back