• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Homebuilders registration question

thaefeli

FRIEND
Can you register your project at any time? Do you need to wait until you have a completed aircraft?
I know you need the registration for the AW inspection, but would be looking at a 6-7 month wait for registration the way the FAA is running now.
Tom

Probably best to call your local DAR, the same person who you selected to later give your AW cert, and ask him/her this question.

Yes, I registered mine before getting the airworthiness inspection. It’s a required document for the inspection of I recall correctly.

Thanks Ted. I called the guy that I know of two days ago and left a message. He has not yet returned an answer.
Question is can you register as soon as you buy your kit? Six months before completion?
Tom

Here’s the airworthiness inspection check list my DAR provided me.

Attachments

• Homebuilt Certification inspection.doc
    48 KB · Views: 151
Here’s the airworthiness inspection check list my DAR provided me.

That's an interesting checklist. Thanks for posting.

There are several items for which a CubCrafters FX-3 would be non-compliant. I wonder who originated that checklist and what authority it has.

Last edited:
Best to file your registration application at least 6 months before you figure you will finish. You need the actual registration (not the application) before your DAR can do the airworthiness inspection. AFS-750 is currently running about 6 months on turning registrations around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you register your homebuilt with the FAA, wouldn't you then be subject to taxes if collected on aircraft in your state? My state reviews aircraft registrations so that could be an issue.
Marty57

Thanks for this post! I had no idea it could take up to six months. I filled out the paperwork this evening and will get it in the mail tomorrow. I hope to roll this thing out of the hangar in June (yes, 2023).

If you register your homebuilt with the FAA, wouldn't you then be subject to taxes if collected on aircraft in your state? My state reviews aircraft registrations so that could be an issue.
Marty57

I don’t know about your locale but in AK they waive taxes if the airplane isn’t airworthy, and that’s an owner declaration, not a factor of the AW certificate.

Michigan required taxes after registration….So, that is an issue depending on where you live.

Thanks for all the answers. Exactly what I was looking for.
I did hear from the local DAR yesterday. He said exactly what DGAPilot said.
Javron 4S cub in my workshop.

Marty57

Yes, just about every state monitors the FAA registration database, so as soon as your registration shows up with the Feds your state will come looking for their tax money. So be prepared to pay the governor shortly after your registration is processed.

EAA provides a very useful home builders packet containing instructions with all FAA forms - sample forms filled out for dummies like me, builders log, timeline for submitting forms etc..
$13 w/membership.
Not sure how to add a link but google search brings it up.

”EAA Amateur built certification kit”

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...of-how-to-register-and-certify-your-homebuilt

You beat me to it! I highly recommend that anyone who is embarking on a homebuilt project get the EAA kit. It will answer a lot of your registration and certification questions. I recommend this to all my applicants. There is some more great info at the following EAA web page:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-building/builderresources/experimental-amateur-built-kit

As others have recommended, contact your FAA inspector or DAR when you get closer to airworthiness inspection time and see what specific suggestions or guidance they may provide.

FWIW, here are the files my DAR provided me when I first made contact. I never spoke to him again until I called to schedule my inspection. It was my responsibility to have the paperwork in order for him. There was nothing difficult or daunting about the process.

Attachments

• AC90-89AFlight Test.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 59
  • Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft AC20-27F.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 66
  • faa8130-12.pdf
    200.7 KB · Views: 52
  • PROGRAM LETTER TO ACCOMPANY APPLICATION FOR.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 38
  • AC8050-88.pdf
    207.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Homebuilt Certification inspection.doc
    48 KB · Views: 54
  • Required checks.doc
    30 KB · Views: 59
  • FAA_Form_8130-6_4-11.pdf
    377.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
FWIW, here are the files my DAR provided me when I first made contact. I never spoke to him again until I called to schedule my inspection. It was my responsibility to have the paperwork in order for him. There was nothing difficult or daunting about the process.

Bear in mind that the 8130-6 is now done on the AWC Portal and the paper copy is no longer used. I send a copy to all my applicants so they can use it to collect data that the AWC Portal will ask for. There is a lot of other stuff the AWC Portal asks beyond what is on the 8130-6, but at least it is a starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have my applicants fill out all the forms and send them to me via email so I can check them over before I have them submit the application to AWC. it's a lot easier to fix errors and omissions before the application is made through AWC. A nice, clean application goes through the system pretty quickly and with minimal hassle.

I have also developed a step by step guide to the AWC application process to help my applicants work their way through the application with minimum hassle. I have attached a generic version of my guide to this message for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• AWC_Guide_Generic.doc
    37 KB · Views: 57
Back