• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheels

I just recently submitted an inquiry to Desser about them producing either a 26", or their 27.5" Aero Classic 4 ply for a 6" rim... The answer I got was that they don't have a mold for either of those sizes, and they have no plans for making one....
Maybe if they get enough interest, they'd change their mind...? Their customer service is very quick to respond to emails, so anybody that would like to see these tires produced better contact them!
I think the 27.5 x 10 x 8.00 that they currently offer would be a huge seller in a 6" rim version.
Does Desser actually make tires? I thought they were only a distributor.

a bit of thread creep here, but has anyone vacuum deflated a set of bushwheels to get them smaller to stuff in the baggage of the cub? I want to take the cub to fl on the amphibs, but also take the bushwheels. I need to call Airframes to get their opinon.
thx
jim

Not sure how small how they will go, but that’s how I mount them. Works real slick. Wheel halves easily mate and bolt up. No fighting with them. They are pretty thick. I don’t think they will get a whole lot smaller.

Re: deflating/vacuum sucking Bushwheels...I agree the won't get any smaller. They may get some narrower but they're not exactly just a big empty bag you can suck down like a raisin. I've messed around with squeezing all the air out and all kinds of stuff but the structure of the tire is such that they just don't pack down much smaller. If they were able to be packed smaller a ton of money would have been saved on shipping costs by now.

On the other hand I have packed a set of 35's both tires and wheels into a Super Cub. You can do it but you better have a folding front seat and removable cross bar.

If it's being run tubeless, why would a little slippage matter?

True tubeless would be a massive problem if the tire slipped. If an actual tubeless slips on the rim it will break the rim to tire seal and the tire will deflate. Hence why big rock crawler trucks with low pressure tubeless tires have to use a rim lock to keep the bead seated.

On the other hand a Bushwheel which is really just basically a tire that is one big inner tube with extra rubber added with a valve stem on the side can slip on the rim and be fine. Because it doesn't rely on sealing against the rim to hold air. They're not truly tubeless, that's very much a misnomer.

I have a package for a 337 Field Approval to install Air Streaks. I used 29" Airstreaks and they worked great on the PA18-95 because they are lighter than a Bushwheel. Also put 31" Bushwheels on a PA18-95 along with a Baby Bushwheel tail wheel. There is more of a weight penalty on the lower hp Cubs but worked for us banging around on the Brazos up here nd then two of us flew it up to Alaska. The Airstreaks work well because of the lower weight and the bouyancy. The PA18-95 fell between the cracks on the Airstreak STC since the tires are approved for more than 1500 lb Gross weight aircraft. Would be glad to send you my field approval package if you wish to go that route. Will save 10 lbs over 31" BWs and 8 lbs on 29" BWs. Weight is a huge deal to me especially on the 90 hp Super Cubs.

Can I purchase that field approval package from you?

Back