• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A story of 2 generations

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
I flew today on Allegiant Airlines from St Pete FL to Bangor Maine. I always get an isle seat, its more room. My seatmate had on a WW11 and Korean war hat. We talked the whole way home about his service days. He was a rifleman in the 94th Infantry. Fought his way ashore in Normandy, then Central Europe, and the Battle of the Bulge, was injured in a mine blast that killed 2 others. He told me he had made his peace to die in the Ardenne Forest in a frozen hole in the ground. I was so honored to shake his hand and listen to his tales.

My new friend Norman Rossignol

IMG_1777.JPG

10022021_H15064777-600x883.jpg

Decorated Army veteran Norman Rossignol, 89, of Bangor, was drafted on Nov. 18, 1943 at the age of 18. He joined the 94th Infantry Division of the United States Army and fought in the following campaigns: Northern France, Central Europe, Ardennes and Rhineland. Rossignol received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star Metal on October 14, 1944 when a land mine was tripped, killing 2 Frenchmen and injuring Rossignol and his squad. Rossignol retired from the Army after 21 years of service.

Before we got on the jet there was this 12 or 13 year old kid. The battery died in his Ipad so he couldnt play his video games on the way home. He was having a fit about it, and was giving his mom a bad time, who couldnt do anything about it. It was really annoying and I got some sick of listening to him. I was really struck by what Norm had to do at age 18, and a kid who was wigging out over a video game.
I should have turned Norm on him. I know he was only 13, but I hope we dont have to go to war someday with kids like him. I sound like my dad.
It will be a sad day when the Normans of the world are gone.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,898
  • 10022021_H15064777-600x883.jpg
    10022021_H15064777-600x883.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 866
WOW---Jim, what a great story---hope some of us can meet Norman this summer at your aerodrome---John F.

Your a luck man to get to spend some time with an American hero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I lost my dad last year. He was manning the gun that took the tail off of a zero that was attacking his ship the Mintaka during WWII in Okinawa. The deck crew finished the pilot as he emerged from the wreck something that would get them all jail time today probably. Ugly as all that war was, the men who manned the guns and fought it were true fighters interested in winning, going home and for the most part forgetting what they had done. In my early years I didn't understand him I having been taught history in the California and Washington school system. I later came to understand how much he knew and how little I had experienced. If he had been a member here he probably would have spent a lot of time being sent to R&R. He did not recognize this country towards the end but he still loved it. The poster above who said "hug all of them you can" is exactly right. I believe they gave us all of what we have today.

Not a single person from that generation was looking for a safe place after suffering a micro aggression. You indeed found a special friend Scouter.

I lost my dad last year. He was manning the gun that took the tail off of a zero that was attacking his ship the Mintaka during WWII in Okinawa. The deck crew finished the pilot as he emerged from the wreck something that would get them all jail time today probably. Ugly as all that war was, the men who manned the guns and fought it were true fighters interested in winning, going home and for the most part forgetting what they had done. In my early years I didn't understand him I having been taught history in the California and Washington school system. I later came to understand how much he knew and how little I had experienced. If he had been a member here he probably would have spent a lot of time being sent to R&R. He did not recognize this country towards the end but he still loved it. The poster above who said "hug all of them you can" is exactly right. I believe they gave us all of what we have today.

I will be 62 in 2 months. All my friends fathers were WWII guys when I was a kid. I realized too late that I grew up among giants. God bless them all

Glenn

Back