• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GDL-82 ADS-B Installation

CubCruiser

SPONSOR
Ormond Beach, Florida
I installed a Garmin GDL82 attached to my Garmin GTX327 in my Super Legend HP to comply with the 2020 ADS-B mandate.
Here are some thoughts on the process:
1) Degree of Difficulty: Easy
2) Time for Installation: 1 hour, 50 minutes.
3) Equipment Needed: Laptop with Printer Cable for Programming, basic shop tools (drill, screwdriver, measuring tape, nuts/bolts, zip ties).
4) Flight Time: 30+ minutes in Daytona's Class C
5) I installed the optional Anonymous Switch ($5)
6) Cost of Custom 82 to Antenna Cable from Spruce (delivered in 2 days after ordering): $52.39
7) Time spent on the FAA website trying to decipher the Performance Report and Applying for the $500 rebate: 45 minutes
8) Total time spent on project: <5 hours
9) Total cost after rebate (including fuel for flight): <$1,430

IMG-6470.jpgIMG-6469.jpgIMG-6472.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-6469.jpg
    IMG-6469.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG-6470.jpg
    IMG-6470.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG-6472.JPG
    IMG-6472.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 230
Did you order one of the harnesses that spruce fabricates? Includes wiring for power, ground, anonymous switch, and i believe a usb connector as well.
Pretty cheap & saves having to make one up- if the GDL82 connector is like their G5, you need a special crimper which i had to borrow from someone.
Looks like you mounted it under the panel somewhere? Thats what Id do too, but their schematic seems to suggest mounting it down in the bilge somewhere adjacent to the txp antenna.

I had a friend make the harness. The connection to my laptop was through a standard printer cable.

On on the firewall, out of the way, easy to get to.

Another thought on an ADS-B installation. I went with the uAvionics skyBeacon on my 185. It took about 45 minutes to pull the Grimes position light and install the skyBeacon. All parts are there, no more things to purchase. Getting the wi-fi to the iPad mini was a little time consuming, but neat. Now I can reprogram the ADS-B with the iPad if necessary. Looking back, no cables to fool with, no changes to the panel, no more stuff under the panel. Clean install. And uAvionics gives you the sample 337 to copy for the AI to sign. Total price, $1849, plus $20 shipping, minus $500 rebate, $1369.

Yes, a buddy installed a skybeacon in (on?) his 180.
Easy to install, easy to program.
I'm leaning toward the tailbeacon as soon as it's approved (promised by the end of Q1/2019).
The "zero install labor" makes it a very attractive option..
Kinda funny, the tailbeacon has fewer features than the skybeacon (no strobe),
but per Uavionix it will be priced at $150 more ($2K).

I installed a skyBeacon on a 172 a couple weeks ago... easy installation even with the adapter piece they sell for the Cessna wingtip... I wound up signing up with the company to be a Qualified Installer...

The only ding I have against it is the requirement to have your NAV lights on at all times for it to be on and transmitting...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I go with the Tailbeacon, I will disconnect the aft nav light from the nav light switch,
and connect it to a 1A breaker on the avionics master circuit.
So I'll be able to run the wingtip nav lights separately from the tail nav light / ADS-B.

If I go with the Tailbeacon, I will disconnect the aft nav light from the nav light switch,
and connect it to a 1A breaker on the avionics master circuit.
So I'll be able to run the wingtip nav lights separately from the tail nav light / ADS-B.
Why bother? It does no harm running the wing lights in the day time. One switch, one breaker. And you have the added advantage of not forgetting to turn on your lights if you fly into night conditions. The airliners have their nav lights on all of the time. They even have dual bulbs in the wings in case one burns out.
I'm curious as to your thinking on this.

Functionally it works just fine. My view is that if you have problems with the nav lights popping the breaker, you also lose your transponder. Just my opinion on 'piggy backing' breakers.

Web

Functionally it works just fine. My view is that if you have problems with the nav lights popping the breaker, you also lose your transponder. Just my opinion on 'piggy backing' breakers.

Web
No he loses his ADS-B, not the transponder. This is the ADS-B unit that replaces a nav light.

Another thought on the skyBeacon. 3 wires, 2 circuits. The led position light and ADS-b draw a lot less current than the Grimes light. One wire. The other circuit is a strobe light, if you so choose to hook it up. And the third wire is a ground wire.

Another thought on the skyBeacon. 3 wires, 2 circuits. The led position light and ADS-b draw a lot less current than the Grimes light. One wire. The other circuit is a strobe light, if you so choose to hook it up. And the third wire is a ground wire.

Yep, extremely simple to hook up... The noise experience in the 172 I installed one on was due to extremely cheap pair of headsets. All other headsets we tried did not produce the noise.

Brian.

I was looking at the Uavionics echo at the Sebring show. It does ADSB in/out for experimentals. Problem is their stuff wont talk to Garmin products to display IN targets? Is this true? dont really want to lug an ipad with foreflight just to see traffic in. I guess
the gld50 I have wont bluetooth the the older GDU 375 MFD in the cub either, so not much diff I suppose
thx

Jim

I was looking at the Uavionics echo at the Sebring show. It does ADSB in/out for experimentals. ….

FWIW I just emailed uAvionix asking if there were any plans afoot to get the Echo approved for certificated airplanes.
I was told no.

Why bother? It does no harm running the wing lights in the day time. One switch, one breaker. And you have the added advantage of not forgetting to turn on your lights if you fly into night conditions. The airliners have their nav lights on all of the time. They even have dual bulbs in the wings in case one burns out.
I'm curious as to your thinking on this.

Same reason I don't have my nav lights on now in the daytime.
It's just the way I want to have it.
The ADS-B is avionics, my way it will be wired to the avionics master which I turn on as part of my start-up checklist.
If the radio's on, the ADS-B is on as well as the txp & the G5.
I rarely fly after dark, so the "forgetting to turn on the nav lights" isn't really applicable--
and certainly not any more than it is already.

Back