• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rebuilding Flight of Passage - N4971H

It is a good read, but for my money they took a little too much artistic license. I have done the same trip multiple times, the first in 1966. I started getting suspicious when they were discussing some pass near El Paso, and then causing a Greyhound bus to do a ground loop? No way, or those two would have a criminal record. And dropping things out of a window over Orange County - yeah, maybe, but admit to it in a book? I had no problems with El Paso, even with a tired 65 hp Cub loaded with camping gear. In those days you flew up the river, and didn't talk to anybody.

Still, a PA-11 with a C-90 might be one of the best airplanes out there, and the history adds to its value.

Kern Buck used to fly banners with us in Super Cubs. After Rinker wrote the book, we went on to produce an aerial banner with a larger than life (80 foot long) graphhic of 71H and flew it over an event in England. Brings back a lot of memories with Rinker and Kern. Rinker flew with me in formation from Los Angeles to Orlando in a Starduster II and AgCat -with a slightly extended stop when a cylinder came off the Starduster's engine in Casa Grande.

Last edited:
So last week as I was driving 71H home, I passed the Indiana state border. Smiles came to me remembering their proud phone call home to Dad. Later I got to thinking that it was probably the first time she has been back to Indiana since the Buck boys trip out west. Many times these cubs don't make it too far from home. This would be one of those days I would like to call my own Dad, which then saddened me. The highs and lows of emotions for the whole week beginning Tuesday was enormous.

The Same is NOT true for 30H, my pride and joy J-3. I wish I had the same memory as Rink because she has hit pretty much every state east of the Mississippi. So many stories in addition to the ones I remember. I probably have over 700 hours in that plane. Oddly enough, when I asked my wife April (who is also a fan of the book) if I could purchase 71H, she said "That is fine, but you can't get rid of the J-3." Was not the answer I was expecting. Someday I know 30H will have to be sold. It makes no sense to own 1 cub much less 2.

When I deposited the wings for 71H in the back of my hangar, I had to tell 30H she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. All the stories she could tell...

Like beating Ed Doyle by 2 feet in 2010 :)
Pulling a Lindbergh a few days later right across Lake Michigan.
Saving my friend Jeff by quitting during takeoff with just enough room to land ahead, keeping him from FAA enforcement action the day after 9/11.
Flipping of Navy Key West for sending us 4 miles out over the water to get the the southernmost point.
Declaring an emergency to land at Destin, which is not controlled, but lies entirely within controlled airspace.
Going between Navy Jax and Cecil airspace right on the dotted line. Who's airspace is the line?

How about the time we went to Mobile and got lost in Mississippi the next morning....
Oh, and those endless cornfields and lakes
That cold November morning when the engine quit right over the threshold at Skyhaven when you pulled the power and we had to get out and push
Flying into the sun to get to Tampa
Flying Everglades National Park
Skimming the beaches on the Atlantic Coast of FL
Skimming the sawgrass on the shores of Green Bay
Flying the Penobscot River on the way to have dinner with Bruce Bohannon
The needle valve hanging up on that takeoff uphill at Griffin's field
Trying to get the damn handheld to work going into ALB
Turning out over the lake at Kathy and Tim's on hot days with a full load
When Gil stuffed the plane full of gear to go to the Greenville fly in
Slips into Luckeys Landing
Hammerheads over the cruise ships in Key West
That slight headwind we ran into over Kentucky Lake
That hilltop airport where we took off and flew sideways in the wind
The Mighty Missouri river, close up
Endless wonderful geezers
The exploding crack houses of Missouri...there's one every few miles
Steaks at SJs house before we got the band back together that night

Last edited:
Now I know why they thought you were a gay couple in Key West:roll:
Were you playing show tunes and Babs singing "Memories" on the I Pod.
How about mixing in a few terrorizing moments that Cliff would be proud of.

Last edited:
oh, you mean the Route 2 approach at Pzincks.....?!?8)

I suppose we could remove the Jimmy Buffett and load the iPod with Lady Gaga, Madonna, Queen, Abba, etc. to get in the true party spirit of Key Weird. Great place, great people.

Just going through logbooks now. 5 Different engines!
Born with C-90-8
A-65-8
C-85-12
C-90-12
C-85-12

First 337 was from 1948. The best engine removed the first year it was around. Does the Type certificate specify landplane only for this latest engine?

Chris

I underestimated how long it takes to clean your garage after a years worth of kitchen remodel. Getting things neat and in order so I can strip this plane. Going to Wicks red tag sale tomorrow. Anyone need anything?

Nice video, good thing he had a long field! :lol: I remember barely being able to get a Beech Sundowner down and stopped in 5000' when I soloed.

Looking forward to seeing the plane in the air again!

sj

After 3 days worth of garage cleaning, including moving many storage items from basement shelves out to my hangar, I was ready to get started. Friday consisted of taking a ton of pictures, then removing most of cowling items and much of the interior. April helped me that evening after dinner. We got to the Trim handle and decided to quit there.

Saturday was spent doing other important items. After dinner April, my friend Phil, and I took a knife to 71H. Most fabric, which was actually in ok shape, was stripped except right behind the boot cowl. I saved the cub special letting from both sides of the tail but otherwise threw the rest in the garbage. I'm still procuring an engine lift to safely remove the c-85.

There were no major structural problems that I could see right away. Some rust in the usual spots like the window c frames and right below the door. One spot right below the trim crank had been replaced but looks to be rusted again. The birdcage will need much of it rebuilt. A couple joints had some rust. Lower longerons looked ok. They had been replace in the early 90s and has been hangared ever since. There were a half dozen other repairs as well.

Phil and April worked eagerly until midnight removing all electrical items from the frame. Some items were saved and some wiring was simply cut. I didn't save the rat's nest inside the battery compartment, but the compartment itself was in good shape.

So I got a few electrical and other items to sell, perhaps here, perhaps on ebay. I'll start a separate thread in for sale / trade section. I need some suggestions on pricing, if they are even worth anything.

So a quick question? How do I lift this engine safely off when there is no hook on top of the engine? Chains, belts?

Lenny, trying out the new seat.
P1020113.jpg

Funny looking brakes.
P1020175.jpg

April working the power tools.
P1020174.jpg

As always, more pictures available at https://picasaweb.google.com/105418532776903394058/4971H?authkey=Gv1sRgCKjukfTuneDk_gE

Attachments

• P1020113.jpg
    P1020113.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 302
  • P1020175.jpg
    P1020175.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 297
  • P1020174.jpg
    P1020174.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 284
Remove the sump, oil pick up tube, and carb and set a car tire on the floor below the engine and with a buddy on each side holding on to the cylinders have them hold the weight while you remove the nuts and bolts and set it on the tire on the ground. I think you midwest boys can handle that. My wife and I hung my C85 ( no cyl ) on my float plane after I first carried it 196' thru a swamp on a 18" wide boardwalk it's not as heavy as you think. If you need to make a sling use a rope or a strap and go around the bottom of the crank and around the top starter bolts and make a loop to lift by.

Glenn

Last edited:
Chris, Looks like you're off to a good start, only about 500 more hours or so an it should be back in the air ;-) thats if you have someone else cover the parts that you get ready. If you want to get Amphibs (if someone buys Baumann) I would put on the parking brake during the rebuild cause it's easier then :evil:. There is a lifting eye that bolts to the case for lifting the engine then all you have to do is drill a hole in the kitchen floor to hook a strap and come-a-long to :lol:. Enjoy the project and it will be nice to have someone to help, just don't scold April, "Maybe" you can get away with scolding Lenny. If you keep the 4" brakes you will need a set of Goodyear 25x11x4 tires also so keep that in mind.

Hello Chris and April

If you wanted to come down to Grove America (my shop is next to the airport KGMJ) we could blast alodine and paint anything you have in a heat shop. the AO blast room is 8ish by 30 something I have plastic and glass bead for the painted non steal and nitric acid to strip the delicate stuff..if you wanted to make a weekend we'd love to have you.

Eric & Leigh

Chris, You can use a strap between the cylinders with baffles removed or drill a steel plate like the original lift tab to remove it. Of course two people can man handle it as well but I like to let the machine do the work these days. ;)

Chris,
Thanks for posting the pictures. My PA11 project came in a pile so I didn't have the luxury of taking pictures as it was dismantled. These will help me a lot to find where the assorted pieces go on my project. Keep posting.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,
Glad I can be of help. There will be many more pictures to come with the skin off. These might be the most helpful.

Steve,
There is no solo restriction in the PA11*. I find the rear seat much more comfortable. *C-85 has a restriction that I hope to do away with.

Douten,
Why on earth do I want a parking brake? And does it work?

Eric,
I'm looking for a local place to blast it. If I don't find one, I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks a ton.

Glenn,
Do you store it with the oil pan off? Might be year before I re-hang this beast. Lost of moisture in my garage too.

Thanks for the input.

Parking brakes are nice when the wind is howling and there is no one around to hold the plane while you get out.

Parking breaks would have been amazing when.......it was a little gusty...I was alone......I jump out real fast and tie down a wing.....before i get to the other side with a rope the tail wheel breaks loose and my plane begins to roll towards a very expensive malibu.....im stuck holding tail infront of elevator for five min before i can quickly run to other side and fasten the wing......it was cold i was scared and couldnt remember the exact wording of the insur policy that was flashing in my head

Chris,
Thanks for posting the pictures. My PA11 project came in a pile so I didn't have the luxury of taking pictures as it was dismantled. These will help me a lot to find where the assorted pieces go on my project. Keep posting.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I have a ton of detailed pictures from a PA-11 rebuild. If I can find an efficient platform and way to upload them I will do so.

Bob, I have a ton of detailed pictures from a PA-11 rebuild. If I can find an efficient platform and way to upload them I will do so.

JP,
I appreciate the offer. You could post them on Picasa and they would be available to browse on demand and not take up space on this site. They would be a great help to me. Now I just need a PA11 seat with a folding back.

Bob

Chris taking the sump off lets you set it on the floor and I'm usually doing this stuff by myself so I need a place to set it down fast. If you stack 2 tires you can leave the sump on and let it hang in the center of the tires. If you have a wood top work bench you can drill the 6 holes that match the prop bolts and store it standing on end but drain the oil first :oops:

Glenn

Back