• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin 796.. OR... iPad in Air Gizmo mount in center panal ???

I just came back from a drive up to Kenai and Soldotna. ( wife's car needed some work done) The avionics place on Kenai field had new in box 796s for $1499. The Air Gizmo docking mount is another $200.
The folks there also said that Garmin has announced that it is no longer going to be building 796s.

I looked around on the internet for a used 696 or 695 and they are like hens teeth.

Then I checked Wally World and Fred Meyers for a iPad Mini 4. NONE IN STOCK.
The kid at Fred Meyers said they stopped carrying the iPad 4 with the cell phone ( has the GPS ) ...
Well crap-a-roni....

Phil it is the weirdest thing... Back when I had two person planes on floats everyone wanted me to have more room and load. Now that I have a 4 person plane, I am getting calls and e-mails from people I talked with back in 2002, who now want a float rating or fishing trip in the Cub I sold years ago and at the 2002 price.

The local cabin rental market is being ruined by yahoos who bought up all the local slum lord apartments and converted the to Air BnB rentals. Lots of dope smoking yarn heads.

Since I cater to working folks, I have seen a drop in bookings since they are all back at work...

I just came back from a drive up to Kenai and Soldotna. ( wife's car needed some work done) The avionics place on Kenai field had new in box 796s for $1499. The Air Gizmo docking mount is another $200.
The folks there also said that Garmin has announced that it is no longer going to be building 796s.

I looked around on the internet for a used 696 or 695 and they are like hens teeth.

The kid at Fred Meyers said they stopped carrying the iPad 4 with the cell phone ( has the GPS ) ...
Well crap-a-roni....
If you don’t already have or don’t want to cut a big hole in your panel just surface mount the stock Garmin clip/mount. Looks great and is rock solid and saves you $200.

Well crap-a-roni....

Amazon.com. Lots of iPad minis to choose from. A 32G is more than enough for flight apps.

FWIW, I like the whole glass panel touch screen thing when it's centered in front of me and within easy reach. Like in my Cub. I don't use it as much when it's off to the side and I have to reach for it. There are good things about a yoke mount for a Cessna.

I can't stand having my instruments blocked. Plus I do not like having something on my yoke moving around.

MTV was saying I need the GPS enabled model, but according to a local tech-geek I can use a Wifi Mini-4 if I have a Stratus 2(s) ( couple hundred bucks) which will feed the gps info and ADS-B-IN to the mini's screen. All of this crap is so subject to change.

I still use a brush and cup to wipe up my shaving soap...

Yes, a Stratus, Stratux, GDL, Bad Elf, etc will provide GPS to a wifi iPad. ADHRS units are the best. Both the synthetic vision and the attitude indicators are useful.

When you have all that info at your fingertips it's frustrating to not have easy access. In my case if it isn't simple and convenient I just stop using it, and that's why I still have the Aera 500 in the center and my iPhone on the yoke.

Last edited:
Bad Elf ?
That reminds me of a couple gals I met in Belgium back in 1980..
Now I need to go look up all this stuff. The avionics shop folks tend to only tell me about whatever they have for sale.

Well crap-a-roni....

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=166297

That was sold within a few hours of posting....

Another pilot up by Fairbanks is running a iPad 5 and so far no problems. He said he had 10 hrs on it with foreflight. I am waiting to see if he ruins into problems like Phil had.

I need a tutorial on the Stratus vs Stratux vs Naughty Elfs stuff...

External GPS receiver features. GPS location, ADS-B in service, and ADHRS.

Garmin GDL39-3D, GDL-50, Stratus 2, and some Stratux kits have ADHRS so provide the iPad with attitude information. They also have ADS-B in. I wouldn't want an external GPS without ADHRS but some guys don't use the attitude features. The GDL39 and Stratus 1 don't have ADHRS but do have ADS-B in. Other than that all the external GPS devices will provide the GPS location. Pay attention to how they're powered.

I was working with the Avionics guy yesterday and he told me that the supplier of the touch screen equipment is no longer making them and Garmin can't find a new supplier. I don't have any idea if this is true as I'm at the turn on turn off level. Although he did confirm Garmin is discontinuing production on the 796

That was sold within a few hours of posting....

I need a tutorial on the Stratus vs Stratux vs Naughty Elfs stuff...

It all depends on what information you want. If all you want is an accurate position, then an “add-on” GPS receiver is all you need. That’s what the Bad Elf is. Just a GPS receiver that gets sent to the iPad (it’s either plugged in or sent via Bluetooth). It’s a must with a WiFi only iPad, not so much with a cellular iPad. I run a WiFi only iPad because I don’t want the added expense of an additional device on my cellular data plan.

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/12/how-to-choose-the-best-gps-for-your-ipad/

If you want to see ADS-B traffic you’ll need a Stratus, Stratux, or Garmin GDL 39/50. There are quite a few out there, some with attitude sensing chips that will allow your chosen iPad app to display a synthetic vision primary flight display. Don’t get caught up in the FIS-B, or XM weather offerings- they’re useless for us in Alaska.

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2018/03/which-ads-b-receiver-should-i-buy/

ADS-B traffic works ok over the Cook Inket. I flew between Wasilla and Seldovia last week and could see traffic most of the way down and back. It’s nice to have, but not everybody shows up because not everybody has ADS-B out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, a cell capable iPad does not have to be cell activated in order to use the GPS.

I can open Garmin Pilot on my iPhone or iPad at 36,000' in the back of an airliner and within a few seconds know where I am. I like the built-in GPS.

Wow learning a few things today.

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHICH PROGRAM OR APP IS BEST FOR ME. Then I can match up the gizmo taking to the iPad.

I have a Garmin area 500. Just need to fix the power source, since one of the previous A/C owner buggered that up.
It works fine and has been updated.
That will be on the far left of the panel.

As far as a new Mini

What I want:

1. I want ADS-B traffic reports
2. I want Synthetic vision
3. I want detailed surface maps. ( I already have FAA sectionals and approach charts in a Tablet with a built in GPS. but it is limited and drops signal sometimes. ) I still carry paper charts anyway. I need good topo info.

I do not need a fancy flight planning program or a list of the best fuel prices in America.
I do not need anything for IFR flying. I have stripped this plane down to VFR low-level flight.

SO which has better surface topo maps, Garmin Pilot or Foreflight?

Last edited:
Wow learning a few things today.

I NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHICH PROGRAM OR APP IS BEST FOR ME. Then I can match up the gizmo taking to the iPad.

I have a Garmin area 500. Just need to fix the power source, since one of the previous A/C owner buggered that up.
It works fine and has been updated.
That will be on the far left of the panel.

As far as a new Mini

What I want:

1. I want ADS-B traffic reports
2. I want Synthetic vision
3. I want detailed surface maps. ( I already have FAA sectionals and approach charts in a Tablet with a built in GPS. but it is limited and drops signal sometimes. ) I still carry paper charts anyway. I need good topo info.

I do not need a fancy flight planning program or a list of the best fuel prices in America.
I do not need anything for IFR flying. I have stripped this plane down to VFR low-level flight.

A Garmin GDL39-3D (now superceded by the GDL50) would do everything you want including feeding traffic info to your Aera 500 and bluetoothing the info to an iPad, along with all the ADHRS stuff that drives attitude instrument depictions and full motion synthetic vision. I've seen guys selling their GDL39-3Ds to upgrade to the GDL52 or other ADS-B devices. You should be able to get one for a lot less than a new GDL50. As for the app? Garmin Pilot's topo view looks like other Garmin products. That's the primary reason I prefer it. And Garmin doesn't charge extra for synthetic vision. Foreflight has a nice satellite view page but it requires a wifi connection. Not much use when flying. When you do get an iPad you can get 30 day free trials of Foreflight and GP to try them out.

Alex,

Just get a cellular enabled IPad. That will give you onboard GPS, no need for other stuff which needs to be connected to power, etc. Keep it simple. Yes the cellular IPad costs more, but still cheaper than buying another box, providing a power connection, etc.

Plus, more points to fail.

keep it simple. There’s no way I’d buy a Bad Elf, etc if I’m shopping for an IPad....just buy the one with on board GPS.

MTV

Also as a CFI you can have free wingX , easy to do. I've been using wingX for several years and no problem except they don't have Canadian coverage.

Alex,

Just get a cellular enabled IPad. That will give you onboard GPS, no need for other stuff which needs to be connected to power, etc. Keep it simple. Yes the cellular IPad costs more, but still cheaper than buying another box, providing a power connection, etc.

Plus, more points to fail.

keep it simple. There’s no way I’d buy a Bad Elf, etc if I’m shopping for an IPad....just buy the one with on board GPS.

MTV

I don’t disagree with you, except I had a cellular enabled iPad that was dropping gps signal. Even though it was an older model, when I upgraded I kept the external gps. It’s an unnoticeable step between climbing in the airplane and getting my inreach started.

I wouldn’t be staunchly against an external gps device. But I wouldn’t *not* buy a cellular iPad which has an internal gps.

Mike V,
I think I need something for the ADS-B (in) traffic. The ipad will not be doing that by itself. Nor would the synthetic vision part of the program.
If I just wanted a GPS, I already have a Garmin 500 and a 7 inch Android tablet ( same size as a Mini-4) with an internal GPS and moving maps.
I am hooking up wires anyway.... Lots and lots of them...

When I get to the shop later today I'll take a pic of the stratus in one of the planes and post it. With that and the Uavionics you have in and out and just need a screen to view the in signal.

Mike V,
I think I need something for the ADS-B (in) traffic. The ipad will not be doing that by itself. Nor would the synthetic vision part of the program.
If I just wanted a GPS, I already have a Garmin 500 and a 7 inch Android tablet ( same size as a Mini-4) with an internal GPS and moving maps.
I am hooking up wires anyway.... Lots and lots of them...

if you already have a tablet (and it’s fairly new and supported) why not mount it instead of buying an IPad? You can run Garmin Pilot on the tablet, and it’ll display traffic.

If you need ADS-B in, you’re going to have to install something like a Stratus, or (big bucks) Garmin portable anyway. So, now you’ve got one more portable that needs power and mounting.

So, just figure out what will do what you need, buy the stuff and wire them all up, mount them safely and go fly.

MTV

Alex,

Garmin Pilot is an excellent app. There used to be (and might still be) some features of the app that were only available on an Apple iDevice (not available on the Droid operating system) so you might want to check Garmin website and get clarification.

The Garmin GDL 39 will give you ADS-B in and works with both Foreflight and Pilot and is priced similarly to Stratus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought about this thread a few minutes ago. Switched from watching a movie to Garmin Pilot at 38,000’ and 577 mph and from the back of the bus not taking any action to put the iPad near a window it took 4 seconds to know where I was. Pretty cool little device.

If I had my iPad connected to my GDL39-3D the right side of the split screen view would have attitude indication and more detailed synthetic vision just like my G3X. Not like there's much to see in central Texas. ;) It's a great setup.

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    917.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    705.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Ooohhh... I was wondering how I would get a Stratus on top on my panel..

Attachments

• Stratus.jpg
    Stratus.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 189
6991CDA0-1214-4AAD-92AE-48F897504870.jpeg

F5BDC1BA-BE47-45FA-8758-6648EFA56EDA.jpeg

This is how and where I mounted a 796 in my Cessna. It doesn’t cover any other instruments and is easy to glance at for the pilot and a pax. Bluetoothed to a Garmin GDL52 for In.

Attachments

• 6991CDA0-1214-4AAD-92AE-48F897504870.jpeg
    6991CDA0-1214-4AAD-92AE-48F897504870.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 190
  • F5BDC1BA-BE47-45FA-8758-6648EFA56EDA.jpeg
    F5BDC1BA-BE47-45FA-8758-6648EFA56EDA.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 327
Question for Alex and Algonquin-

How effective do you expect ADS-B traffic to be in an airplane environment where most airplanes aren’t ADS-B out equipped and you don’t have FIS-B coverage from a tower? Are you ADS-B out equipped? Even in Anchorage we have enough non-transponder airplanes to make ADS-B less than great. Away from the FIS-B translation I don’t expect traffic to be anywhere close to a complete picture.

I will be ADS-B out in a few months. Just so I can go into Anchorage or for when I fly out of state.

Back