• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slip/Skid

That's a video that should be watched by every student pilot. He did a great job explaining it in a way thats understandable and visually showing it with the model helps a lot to. I wish I seen it years ago when I was in training!

Reminds me of my first spin with instructor (unintentionally on my part) but we were doing slow flight and he mentioned the ball a few times, then he shut up and let me learn why that was important. Needless to say we spent the rest of the lesson on recovery

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Good video and good explanation, however, one thing not mentioned is to explain loading vs. unloading the wing. We talk of angle of attack but I think a better way to explain it to a student or novice is what happens when you load a wing up and how unloading can cure a lot of problems. Others may be able to say it better.

VERY good video, thanks for sharing. I also like how the way he conveys the information to the viewer. Makes it easy for simple people like me.

I always liked this video https://youtu.be/2pGuoc11lxY

Even though it’s geared towards AG flying it has lots of good info any pilot could use. It would have been helpful to have YouTube around when I was learning to fly. But on the other hand having a good fight instructor demonstrate what happens when stalling in a skid or slip burns it a bit more to the memory banks than watching a video.

Gordon's link offers a great explanation of why the lower wing wants to tuck under. That's a very interesting video.

Both videos are helpful in understanding the aerodynamics of skid vs slip. One other point to understand is that aileron opposite the turn and power added are two specific ways aerobatic pilots use to AGGRAVATE a stall or spin. Hence, the importance of “Power to idle, Ailerons to neutral” as the FIRST responses to a stall....and not just a stall/spin.

Secondly, the Video Denny posted did discuss BRIEFLY the effect of this in coordination in a nose high, high power scenario as well, which is very important.

In fact, recent data show that low level stall/spin fatal accidents resulting from high AOA right after takeoff (or a go-around) are MORE common than the “infamous” turn from base to final accidents. That’s right: More pilots are being killed in takeoff loss of control accidents than in approach to landing LOC accidents.

Remember that next time you watch a pilot perform one of those “big pull-up” demos right after takeoff.

MTV

Remember that next time you watch a pilot perform one of those “big pull-up” demos right after takeoff.

MTV
Mike, this is a really important point. I cringe when I see some folks (particularly when they are giving kids rides) do the big pull-up on takeoff. Thanks for pointing this out!

Randy

To Mike’s Vs point. This is the aftermath of departure stall 700’ to the left of the centerline towards the end of the runway. Stall, left wing dropped impacting the ground before inverted. Was a aft loaded Cherokee 6. EVERYBODY
825a9c4a-7edc-46c3-83da-74671b81dd0f
SURVIVED

Attachments

• 07D7C9CB-B507-46FD-AB20-4C21D649521C.jpg
    07D7C9CB-B507-46FD-AB20-4C21D649521C.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 145
Back