• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LONE STAR STOL Competition

They made a mistake when they announced heavy touring. Got it straightened out though.

Matt ended up in second place by four feet. His best run was 336.

Results should be up today. Here is a picture of Bush, Tony had me the whole time unlike what was being announced.
26235.jpeg

Attachments

• 26235.jpeg
    26235.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 252
Rumor has it that the 1st place finisher in Heavy Touring DQ'd on one of his landings. Supposedly reviewed by the judges with the slo-mo tape (about 3:35:30) , but didn't overrule him.
Lou

I enjoyed watching the footage. Being a 180 driver I was especially interested in the heavy touring. I went back and watched again. The winner sure looks to be short and should have DQ’d. Right main came down before left and line judge didn’t catch it. It’s close but watching their slo mo it’s pretty clear to me.

5B7E3092-4CD9-41C4-AE74-EC95123F00EA.jpeg

EBC1547C-A60F-49FE-8975-14830757121E.jpeg

Attachments

• EBC1547C-A60F-49FE-8975-14830757121E.jpeg
    EBC1547C-A60F-49FE-8975-14830757121E.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 669
  • 5B7E3092-4CD9-41C4-AE74-EC95123F00EA.jpeg
    5B7E3092-4CD9-41C4-AE74-EC95123F00EA.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 698
I think Pierce should let his beard grow and team with Tony in a pair of old K2B flight suits and become ZZ STOL.

Maybe that's why the results are still not out. Just be glad that I wasn't there in the World's Lightest 180! I submit that you should have a 10 foot touchdown zone. Your landing is measure from where you touchdown in that zone. Much more realistic.

I enjoyed watching the footage. Being a 180 driver I was especially interested in the heavy touring. I went back and watched again. The winner sure looks to be short and should have DQ’d. Right main came down before left and line judge didn’t catch it. It’s close but watching their slo mo it’s pretty clear to me.

View attachment 47504

View attachment 47503

Mike's 182 was a cool bird flown well. Saw the scratch. Instant replay strikes again. I see technology coming into play pretty quickly.
IMG_20200314_110232.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_110232.jpg
    IMG_20200314_110232.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 633
Steve Henry came out on top but Hal and Dan gave him a run for the money. Here they all are psyching each other out prior to the contest.
IMG_20200314_141728.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_141728.jpg
    IMG_20200314_141728.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,585
Yee Haw 6

IMG_20200314_110726.jpg

IMG_20200314_110747.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_110726.jpg
    IMG_20200314_110726.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • MVIMG_20200314_110736.jpg
    MVIMG_20200314_110736.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20200314_110747.jpg
    IMG_20200314_110747.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,461
Last edited:
I submit that you should have a 10 foot touchdown zone. Your landing is measure from where you touchdown in that zone. Much more realistic.

You know, this isn’t a bad idea, particularly for grassroots events. Organizers?

But don’t worry about measuring from touchdown point, just measure from the box. If someone can land early in the box more power to them, but just like a sandbar, landing short is an absolute no-no.

And just for comments from the peanut gallery, Steve Henry flying is always awesome. I’m not sure how many mods Butch Kingston has done, but he too has been an impressive performer for quite awhile now. In the grand scheme he’s not that far away from what Steve is doing.

And then Pierce and Tony just kill it in stock-er cubs. Nice job guys. Very nice job.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

STOL contests are not real world flying. It is all about precision, technique and some luck. Eddie is trying to compensate for inaccuracy. 8)

Real world would be , erect a 5 foot ribbon fence to land over. Cut the top ribbon your landing is DQ d. Cut the next ribbon, you are DQ d

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

What about that log of pile of rocks right before the touchdown point. Or 2 ft rise. You need to be precise in the real world. Not landing in the last 200ft of a 500 ft spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched some of the (recorded) livestream finally, looks like a very well run event. Congrats to Tony and Steve for the one two punch in Super Cubs!

Good stuff!

sj

Back to the Lone Star STOL Contest, I have to comment on what a great event this was. Thursday morning I was looking at the weather and it was looking pretty grim. I called Tony and neither of us thought there would be any flying due to the weather forecast. Jim Crane and Bill cam over Thursday in their Carbon Cubs for lunch and got me fired up to even if we didn't get to fly. hanging out with everyone is always fun anyway. I checked the forecast and saw a window Saturday afternoon that the contest might take place. I called Tony and he saw that as well. We realized we would rather be in Gainesville and not get to fly than we would to be at home and find out they flew. I found out later our wives were talking back and forth an didn't want us moping around all weekend either. We also figured out if we didn't leave on Thursday we wouldn't get there so we did.

Met up with lots of folks we have flown with before and met a lot of new people as well including some guys in their early 20s. There was an air about the whole event that was infectious. It was raining all day Friday but everyone was having a good time. We had a meeting about the grass runway, walked out and looked at it and decided it was not going to work due to the amount of rain the previous night. The ramp was inspected and found the best place for the runway and moved all the TV equipment in a matter of an hour or so which had taken a day or better to set up originally. The pilot briefing was held and decisions were made. Doug comes from the Ultra Four, King of the Hammers baja truck racing and brought his experience and several of those organizers to this event. Registration was a breeze as all of our info was on computer from our online pre-registrations. IIt was obvious from everything that was going on that this wasn't their first rodeo. It was also obvious that Doug had done his homework. He talked to a lot of people and learned what was good and bad at other events. Line judging accuracy was one concern people had. I noticed way more identifying marks on the runway at this event and lots of line judges who had all been there since early Thursday preparing.
One thing I noticed in the briefing was that this is professional, this event was not just a couple good old boys seeing who could land the shortest. There was a full blown TV crew, sponsors and prize money. It was about letting everyone out there see what we were doing and what it is all about. The enthusiasm was infectious. Young people flying, the Fat Tire Cowboys put together baskets for the first place winners in every category full of pilot friendly cool stuff, airport staff was phenomenal and very helpful. Hanger owners opened their hangers and cooked out feeding all of us. Everybody was excited I think. It started from the top and trickled down.

Saturday was bleak in the morning but all those forecasts were showing ceilings and visibility in the afternoon conducive to flying. After lunch word went out and everybody started getting ready. Was kind of a mess getting everybody in sequence because of the change in runway use. Pilots who were camping were south and other parking was north but it all worked out and we got to play in the mud a bit. The airboss was good and I was glad I had my new Trig radio so I could monitor ground ops while waiting and still hear what was going on on the airboss frequency. Bush was 3rd flight after Heavy and Light Touring and we had good winds down the runway and a slight cross from the east but not bad. Have been in to many of these with quartering tailwinds that are no fun. Ceiling was a little low and mad fora flatter approach but was pretty happy with both take-offs and landings. People were blowing my phone up texting and stuff. I guess Jughead was saying I was in first but that was only the first flight because Tony scratched his landing but he more than made up for that on the second flight. We were 2 feet apart on the take off but 20 feet apart on the landing. We didn't know at the time what the numbers were and didn't realize we would get a 3rd run. After everyone flew we still had decent weather so we all got one more run. The take off felt great I was keyed up cause it felt real good, we had better wind and I didn't feel like I left anything behind me. Turns out Tony and I both had 76 foot take offs. When I was coming down final I was seeing consistent 34 mph ground speed every time I glanced at it. It felt great and I told myself I just gotta aim just past the line and not scratch. I was feeling great down the whole line, i thought this is it and just short of the line it was like the wind stopped and I dropped and the burst of power did nothing. I was upset and it probably showed cause I didn't even dump my flaps. Up until that point I though I might actually have Tony and knew after that that I didn't cause I knew he took advantage of the wind. Once I saw the numbers later I felt better cause he got me in the second round. He and I fly together weekly and I knew he would beat me but for an instant I thought I might have got him. There were a lot of fun calls and texts afterwards with Thrustline Mark and Kevin. the awards were fun as well. Jughead MCing and all broadcast live. He had to comment on my Muck boots which i wore all weekend except when i was flying. Learned that lesson at paul Claus's Geo Cache years ago when Dianna Duncan loaned me hers. I guess Jughead was an F15 driver and there is evidently a riff between them and F16 drivers so he tried to get a dig in on Tony but he is kinda like a duck and just commented about a certain F15 squadron with a crew chief pilot affair and that joke was done. Cathy and Chris (Tony's wife) drove up and got to see the final round and were our ride home since we had to leave our airplanes there probably till Friday looking at the weather. They don't like mud bugs so they went out to eat while Tony and I chowed down on some really good craw fish.

It was an amazing weekend with a lot of comradery, professionally run by great people with a great group of volunteers and I can't wait for the next one. Doug raised the bar and I think the next one will be even better. If you haven't watched the video the whole contest video is posted on LoneStarSTOL.com along with the results from every class.

Mike Sisemore took this picture of Cathy and I. Can you tell i was stoked. ;)

STOL3.jpg

View attachment 47548

Attachments

• STOL3.jpg
    STOL3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,083
Last edited:
The televised utube setup was great- watch it live or later.
Definitely well run!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Just got to watch the feed. AMAZING!!! I was on the road nearly all week without internet and was hoping to watch it live. Awesome show by all the competitors!

Back