• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

STC SA338CE Installation of C90-12F in PA-11

T. Parsons

Nome, AK
Has anyone done this installation on a PA-11. I presently have a C85-12 installed but have bought a C90-12F and want to install it on the plane. I have written a letter to the STC holder but I have not received a reply yet. I am just wondering what might be involved. I know about the muffler problem and plan to run a oil filter. I have a Super Cub fuel system previously installed and approved. I am wondering about the motor mount ect... Any input ??? Thanks T. Parsons

Why didn't you just send your C85-12 to Don's Dream Machines...Less hassle and one Helluva C85-12 on return....

Sam

8)

Sam, your are probally correct about Don's engines. I called and talked to him was very impressed with his knowledge and was thinking seriously about it. His price for me was close to $14000, plus shipping and down time. I found a good engine in Anchorage for half of that with very low time and overhauled by a reputable shop in Anchorage. If money was not an issue I would have sent it to Don's, but I have probally saved over a $1000.00 in freight alone. :eek: T. Parsons

That STC is owned by George Haveman of Florida, it will require the removal of the starter and generator. The only other work required to comply with the "STC" is cutting and notching the exhaust and welding in a wedge to lower the muffler to clear the oil screen, assuming you have the original 65 exhaust. Very crude. No other requirement for mount, prop or fuel. Apparently you do what you can get a mechanic to sign for. It also is unlike any STC I have purchased in that no "N" number is required and no serial number is required. I will take a picture of it and email it to you if you want. PM an email if you like. And I will not charge you $60.00 for a worthless piece of paper as Mr. Haveman does, although if you use that PA-11 on floats with a C85-12 I would like a copy of that paperwork. Jim

I have an N number at the shop on a PA11 with a C90-12 installed with starter and generator. You could use the paperwork from that as acceptable data. Send me a PM and I will remember to get the N number.

Apply for a field approval. Point out that the 85-12 and 90-8 are on the type cert. This is so close to a minor mod given those two data points it isn't even funny. Or get a pre- 1955 337 and have your IA sign it.

Remember - the FSDO must answer you - in writing if you ask. It is their job.

The Babcock STC will do it. Or a friendly fed - took me two hours of mostly friendly chit-chat. This is now a non-issue.

Back