• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

BasicMed Exams @ New Holstein 2019

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Want to have yet another reason to attend the New Holstein Supercub.org Flyin? Seek no longer…Great Planes Flight Physicals will be offering BasicMed examinations on Friday, July 19. The idea of providing BasicMed certification at New Holstein has been thought of as a perk for attending the Flyin, and to provide a convenient way of getting this important certification. I am carving out time for much of that day to help keep you folks in the air!

Will this be free? Heck no. I charge $200 for the BasicMed examination. You a veteran? Half off...$100.

We want this to be a very efficient, well-oiled process. We want to streamline the event by having all the paperwork submitted to us in advance so that we can make sure you will successfully complete the BasicMed examination process at New Holstein. What we do NOT want is for you to come to New Holstein for the examination only to be told that you are ineligible. My staff will gather and file your completed forms before I leave for New Holstein, but please bring the originals with you.

BasicMed examinations will be offered only to those aviators who are supporting Supercub.org at the level of “Friend” or higher (a mere $50 per year contribution!), and who are registered for a minimum of 4 days at the 2019 New Holstein Supercub.org FlyIn.

Here is how I look at BasicMed, from a physician’s perspective. I conduct the evaluation of information and physical examination to the exact same standards as required for the FAA’s 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Class medical. It is my opinion that by so doing I can honestly answer any question about your certification under BasicMed by saying that you were evaluated and examined exactly as is required by the FAA. I am not willing to take shortcuts with the BasicMed process.
What do you need to do to qualify for and schedule your BasicMed examination? Here goes…

1. Make sure you qualify for BasicMed. In order to make this efficient, please use AOPA’s excellent resource as a guide by visiting https://basicmedicalcourse.aopa.org;
  2. Download the FAA Medical Exam Checklist;
  3. Complete pages 5 and 6 of that download. You will see a very familiar format, in that the FAA has pretty much duplicated the forms you must complete for the FAA medical certification.
    1. With BasicMed I become your physician (yes, your gynecologist), which is a major difference between this examination and the FAA certification process. Since I will be seeing you for the first time (from a medical perspective) I will need to be enlightened about your entire medical history. No, you cannot write “Previously Reported” for this. I am putting my reputation and licensure on the line when I certify you as satisfying the conditions of BasicMed.
    2. For every item that you check “Yes” you will need to elaborate:
      1. Approximate date of the occurrence
      2. Your physicians name and health care facility
      3. Diagnosis
      4. Outcome
      5. Limitations, if any
      6. For example, if you had an appendectomy, you would write: “12/2015, Dr. Schmoe at Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility Hospital , removed my appendix, I healed up well, no limitations, and I had a good followup”
      7. If you don’t have enough room on the form, simply add a piece of paper upon which you can complete those entries.
    3. If you have a condition that requires a CACI or SI for your last 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] or 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] class FAA Medical, you will need to provide the information for me just as listed in your CACI or SI. For example, if you have a CACI for hypertension I will be following the CACI protocol for certifying you under BasicMed. Same goes for ANY condition for which there is a CACI. If you had a previous cardiac stent procedure performed and the FAA granted the SI with the stipulation that you need specific annual testing or letter from your treating physician, please make certain you have submitted that information to me in advance, along with the completed checklist.
  4. Scan in completed pages 5 and 6 of the BasicMed checklist, and any supporting information, and fax to my office at 763-494-7706 or email to BasicMed@mcrh.com, Attention New Holstein BasicMed. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE MONDAY JULY 22 @ 4PM OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS OPPORTUNITY Please include your contact information.
  5. My office will contact you and schedule your examination time for Friday, July 19.
What To Bring To Your New Holstein BasicMed Appointment

1. Completed Form 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Checklist and supporting information
  2. Drivers license
  3. Reading glasses, if needed. If you wear contact lens please know that you will need to remove them for part of the vision examination.
  4. Partially full bladder (will need a urine sample).
I am attaching the pdf for FAA Form 8700-2, for your convenience. Thanks!

Randle Corfman, PhD, MD
Great Planes Flight Physicals
12000 Elm Creek Boulevard, Ste 350
Maple Grove, MN 55369
rcorfman@mcrh.com

Attachments

• FAA_Form_8700-2_.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, if you have any interest in obtaining BasicMed certification and are considering making the pilgrimage to New Holstein for the 2019 Supercub.org Flyin, please take consider option of obtaining BasicMed certification at New Holstein. SJ and I decided to copy this thread to Cafe Supercub so that you might take advantage of this opportunity. Absolutely no pressure, but it will be an option for those who take advantage of this first come-first served option. Spots will be limited.

Randy

Some are wondering if they can do a 2nd or 3rd class FAA medical at New Holstein, at the same time as BasicMed.

The answer is no, not by me. The FAA designates the exact location at which I am allowed to perform FAA medical examinations. For me, those two sites are in my office in Maple Grove, MN or at Park Rapids, MN. That rule precludes me from doing FAA exams in Wisconsin.

BasicMed is a different beast. It requires the examining physician to be licensed in the state in which the examination is performed. By virtue of the fact that I see patients in MN, ND, MT, WI and AK I am licensed in each of those states. I see patients in Wausau WI, for example. Having a valid medical license in WI permits me to do these BasicMed exams at New Holstein. The only hassle revolves around having the equipment to perform the exams at New Holstein. I am able to carry special equipment with me to perform these exams, and will be transporting this in Santa's Super Cub:lol:

Hope this explanation clears up questions regarding this.

Randy

All you need are rubber gloves from Tractor supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy, folks, one week from today, at 4:00 p.m., the window for receiving all your BasicMed forms and supporting documentation will close. For those who have signed up for the BasicMed examination please be aware that signing up is step one of the process. The next step is to get your information faxed to us, or emailed to us. Those who sign up but just can't seem to get your information to us by that deadline will have to do BasicMed elsewhere.

Thanks!

Randy

This is to serve as a reminder to complete your preflight for your BasicMed examination at New Holstein.

Please scan in completed pages 5 and 6 of the BasicMed checklist, and any supporting information, and either:

Fax to my office at 763-494-7706 or email to BasicMed@mcrh.com, Attention New Holstein BasicMed. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE MONDAY JULY 22 @ 4PM.

Sorry, there will be no exceptions. I am trying to make this operation very smooth and want our ground crew at my office to have time to gather the information and make sure there are no conditions/circumstances which might lead me to feel that BasicMed will not be an option for you.

At this point I anticipate beginning the examinations at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, July 19. Our team will notify you of the time for your examination sometime Tuesday. I have only received necessary information from one of you, so please take time to complete your preflight for a successful BasicMed examination at New Holstein.

See you soon!

Randy

Back