• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Javron kit Build list (HELP)

Goggles

Hi all,

I am looking at ordering a EXP Javron kit, and had a few questions (I've not Built a SC before)

Please note: I just want basic steam gauges (weight) and nav/landing lights + ADSB so i can fly into controlled airspace and night VFR

1 - Fuselage Paint; There is lots of discussion on here regarding Powder Coat vs Epoxy Primed. But i seem to come out more confused than settled after going through all the discussions. Epoxy is more expensive, but appears to be better for longevity (discovering frame cracks & preventing corrosion.) Powder coat is cheaper and seems more straight-forward. Also, am i required/advised to put a top coat on if i go epoxy primed?

2 - Flap Lever Location; I'm not sure of peoples thoughts on traditional placement (shortened to keep it out of the way) vs Cub Crafters overhead flap lever system. I noticed Airtechs Javron build had it overhead & i really liked the look of how it was setup. I will be ordering PSTOL flaps, so a i am concerned a shortened (3") flap lever may be a problem in regard to the effort required to apply flaps.

3 - Epoxy Primed Wings, Flaps and Ailerons; This is a selectable option. I'm not sure what to do here - i want to keep it light and believe i have seen Bare alloy Stringers and flaps out there?

4 - Engine and Avionics; I would prefer an O320 160hp (9-1 pistons) and basic steam gauges. However, I'm not actually sure who to use/where to purchase the engine, engine accessories and avionics. Also not sure on Dynafocal vs conical Mounts (Again, weight vs comfort?)

5 - Remaining Hardware - Does anyone have some sort of list of extra hardware/numbers needed/sizes (Nut-plates, tooling etc.) and anything else that i should have on hand. I would like to put an order in for extra hardware as i am located in New Zealand, so if i need to order a part from the USA, it's a solid 9 weeks away or an absurd price.

Note: For some reason i cant see a lot of Bill Rusk and Sam D's Pictures of their posts, so it's hard to follow.

Thanks for all input and help!

Welcome Goggles!

1. Epoxy prime
2. it does not matter. You'll get used to whatever you choose (I prefer stock)
3. Bare, if it were me. it'll likely never corrode in your lifetime
4. O-320 160 will make a nice flyer - no need for 180HP in my opinion (mount based on whatever engine you buy)
5. short answer, no.... Long answer, get the major bolts etc. and then buy a builders or mechanics kit from aircraft spruce. Also, remember that no matter how well you plan, as soon as it ships you'll remember something and need to make another order....It's just how it is.....

Thankyou!

Further - Would you apply a top coat to an Epoxy primed frame?

Note: I have a well equipped shop with a lathe and mill ect (I'm a Heavy Diesel tech)

Don't buy any avionics/instruments until you are ready to install them. Anything you buy now will be out of date or you will have changed your mind by the time it's needed.

Web

I’d definitely topcoat epoxy primer. Primer is just that- it’s somewhat porous and although it takes a while, rust will eventually come through. A good catalyzed polyurethane is much more chemical resistant, as well...

If it was me and if you haven’t I would talk to Jay with the view of getting everything that you might conceivably need- (and then some extra) put in the box at that end .I would expect to pay something for that to happen and you will end up with left over but think it will save you in the long run. Think the death by a 1000 cuts scenario. Shipping bits and pieces will kill it,and anything you buy in nz you will have the cost of shipping added,it will cost very little extra to ship small parts with the kit in comparison.There are a few people around in nz that have done similar projects - get their advice.Good Luck

I have a Javron kit on order. Give Jay a call and discuss each item on the order sheet. You will be glad you did.

Having worked on a lot of Super Cubs in the field I prefer epoxy primer with a catalyzed polyurethane top coat for rust prevention on fuselage, tail feathers and steel parts in the wings.

Here is a complete wing assembly hardware list but I believe Javron wings cme assembled. I also believe they come with all the main hardware fore the rest of the airframe.

Back