• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Winter Oil, Aviation oil/auto oil

Never got married, never had kids....never thought it was a good idea....also, always been sober..which probably explains it...

I never see 100F over ambient temps in the winter, that means some days it's 100F after preheat but it never gets back to 100F the rest of the day. Last C90 had 2200hrs on it, did rings and valve guides at 1100hrs and was still running strong at 2200hrs when I wreaked the plane with a tree. Don't worry about oil temp in small C engines.

Glenn
I think I follow this train of thought?
Clean oil is better than dirty oil.
Some oil is better than no oil.
No trees is better than one tree?
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Sadly , too many engines get finished with a prop strike or internal corrosion way before they get worn out from too much use.

Ok the story gets more clear. 30 degrees is not really cold! Run multi weight aviation oil, Phillips 20-50 with camguard and go fly.
DENNY

Years ago when I worked for Diamond Reo...the boss, Bryce Morris...born in the late 1800's. Literally built a 1934 maybe a 1937 Indy car from scratch. Sand casted pistons...parts...machine/milled crank, rods... Frigg'n walking engineering dictionary. Would talk about the differences in automotive oils and oils with more lubrictaion. Automotive oils having upwards of 75% detergents and additives. Real oil in his opinion was straight mineral oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Met Charlie Kulp in Virginia once, and he told me he always used mineral oil in his cub, and never saw a reason to change....and he put one heckovalotta hours on it....

Never got married, never had kids....never thought it was a good idea....also, always been sober..which probably explains it...
When 12, my first visit to Salt Lake City, we went to look at the Mormon Church. I will forever associate Salt Lake City with guys that have multiple wives. LOL Sorry you missed out. At least you got a plane and a hangar to store it. Close second.

It's officially forbidden, but they do live around here....had neighbors from time to time who engaged in the practice. Mostly driven by practicality, not religious fervor...when I worked for KSL-TV, they all wanted me to convert, so I converted to another company...not a joiner of any kind...supercub.org being the only exception...
Not many church members own planes, but some do, because Sundays are a nice quiet day to fly around here...

Use the aviation Multi-grade oil. An example would be Aeroshell 15W50 flows like a 15w oil when the engine is cold and protects like a 50w when the engine is up to operating temp. The Automotive oils do not handle the lead scavenging that the aircraft oils are designed to do.

Has anyone here have any experience with Schaeffer oil ??
A representative was in our shop and gave a demonstration of its oil.
Very impressive.
They make a 20w50. called Supreme 7000.
Para synthetic.
Thinking of trying it.

Is it an approved aviation oil? If not, I wouldn't even think of putting it in an aircraft engine. If it is approved, tell us more about it.

MTV

Has anyone here have any experience with Schaeffer oil ??
A representative was in our shop and gave a demonstration of its oil.
Very impressive.
They make a 20w50. called Supreme 7000.
Para synthetic.
Thinking of trying it.

I've been using it in my Ford diesel for years (7.3 litre). It was recommends by a ford guru that rebuilds ford transmissions and then gives a lifetime guarantee. I've got one of those too. He runs double turbos way up there in horsepower. Swears by shaefers. Brian's truck shop in Lead Hill AR. But I don't know about using it in the plane. Might b good to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a rule, oil recommended for gasoline engines is rarely recommended for diesel engines, and vise versa

Lots of "scaredy cats" on here. "Oh of its not aviation oil". Must be Harley Davidson riders too.
If it wasnt developed in the '30s and then approved in the '50s dont use it!!!!
T
I hate to break the news to you "old schoolers" but there have been a lot of technological advancements in motor oil the last 70 years. I would say that if you want to try a new/different oil, go ahead. Just be sure to do some research.
My old diesel is supposed to take 15w40 and nothing else--- but it sure starts and runs better on 5w40 full synthetic in the winter.
Now if youre certified then you are limited but if experimental then experiment. Contact your supplier and see what they say about their oils interacting with lead--- or run strictly mogas.
The newer oils are designed around unleaded so if thats the only fuel you are running it might be best to run a newer oil.

Lots of "scaredy cats" on here. "Oh of its not aviation oil". Must be Harley Davidson riders too.
If it wasnt developed in the '30s and then approved in the '50s dont use it!!!!
T
I hate to break the news to you "old schoolers" but there have been a lot of technological advancements in motor oil the last 70 years. I would say that if you want to try a new/different oil, go ahead. Just be sure to do some research.
My old diesel is supposed to take 15w40 and nothing else--- but it sure starts and runs better on 5w40 full synthetic in the winter.
Now if youre certified then you are limited but if experimental then experiment. Contact your supplier and see what they say about their oils interacting with lead--- or run strictly mogas.
The newer oils are designed around unleaded so if thats the only fuel you are running it might be best to run a newer oil.

As an avionics guy, I'm usually in favor of new stuff. But with the oil question, you have to remember that we are looking at using oil made for an engine that was, literally, designed in the 30's or 40's. I don't see that as being a 'scaredy cat'. First, I'm not in 3rd grade any more. Second, I believe that the stuff I put on or in an engine should be made for that engine. I'll put Crisco in an engine if someone has set up a logical test that proves it works and is safe. I see more and more operators using multi weight oils, now, compared to just a few years ago, so change is happening slowly. But these oils are made specifically for aircraft engines.

As for 'experimenting', knock yourself out. Have fun doing it. But, as has been stated above, don't get anyone else hurt or killed. I'm an Alaskan. I truly believe that the only thing Timothy Treadwell did that was totally wrong, was get his girlfriend killed.

Web

From our previous threads on this subject, aviation oil makers tried full synthetics, but they wouldn't carry away enough heat from the valves, so they went with semi's. This was also about the same time that Mobil came out with a defective molecule that broke in half under use, and reduced it's viscosity drastically, so it may have been partially sales related. I used to use Shell 15-50, but after leaving a smoke trail across the country, due to two cylinders plugging up their rings with lead, (in a friend's cub) I switched to Phillips 20-50 with Camguard for corrosion and MMO for the carbon valve deposits...(and the sticky combustion byproducts like lacquers...)

Last edited:
Insurance, insurance insurance. Already left a guilty track..... Great aviation oil products readily available. 20W50 or even Aeroshell 80W+. Good to talk about this so people understand why. No harm in asking, but lots of harm in bad practice. mvivian is right -obligation to passengers.

i never was much good at math, but lets take an old blanket and a 100 w lightbulb under your cowl. Lets say your price per KWH in Ontario is .10 c. That 100 watt bulb is going to use 2400 watts per day,or 2.4 KW. thats 24 cents a day, or $1.68 per week or $7.20 per month or figure 4 winter months is $28.80 Pretty cheap preheat for that $25K motor.
I plug in the tanis when it gets cold and unplug it when it gets warm

Corse the Canadian peso will make it more?
How much is electricity per KWH in ontario? we are riduculous at .16c in Maine

JIM

I got you beat - $0.9332 per kwh. But we do get a subsidy of $0.6317 so the actual cost is ONLY 30 cents per kwh!

I still pre-heat.

I ran my first aircraft engine on 15W50. started it way below zero quite a few times with no preheat. after well over 3000 hrs i finally removed it. It sat for 10 plus years after that. when I finally go around to tearing it down, I found very little abnormal wear. Only thing I didn't like about it was getting too hot in the summer. I've run Phillips X/C for the last dozen years, but thinking of going back to the Aeroshell for the planes that just fly in the winter cause every once in a while i don't preheat them.

Did this Guy from Schaeffers oil address how his oil reacts chemically with leaded gasoline when used in air cooled engines?

The Timken tester is a lubricity testing device. Fuels and lubes lab at Pitt State in Kansas had one when I was there. As I remember RotellaT was the best for diesels and that nothing beat Amesoil products early in the synthetic days on the auto side.

I am such a skeptic when it involves a salesman. Once my wife invited a guy to demonstrate a vacuum sweeper. When he put a couch cushion in a plastic bag and sucked it flat she was sold. She was really POd when I refused to hand over the cash. As soon as the salesman was out the door I grabbed the old wore out machine that she hated and a big garbage bag and showed her it sucked cushions flat just as good as that high dollar thing.
After the oil guy does his oil, clean off the wheel and do your oil again just to make sure the wheel or rod itself didn't change on the first go round with your oil. My dark side tells me something changes on the wheel during the the heat or friction of the first try with your oil. They been scuffing ball bearings and running engines with the oil pan off to demonstrate products through the years. None of the wonder products has become the perfect lube yet. jrh

I really wish I knew for sure if Rotella for diesels was "good to go" in my 85hp.
I usually use Shell 80 or 100 which was $110. /12 pack 3yrs ago & available about 100 miles from here :-?

Camguard isn't designed to increase lubricity, it's an additive package to increase corrosion resistance.

What do you think the advantage is with Aeroshell 15w50 over Phillips 20w50 for cold starts?

Put a quart of each in your freezer for a week. then take them out and pour them out. you'll probably see the difference. (altho Ive never tried this). the Aeroshell always had instant pressure. cant say the same for Phillips

Back