Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: I-pad / I-phone over heating time out

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile I-pad / I-phone over heating time out

    Looking for help on how to prevent my iPad from getting too hot from the sun coming into the cabin of my Cub I use a knee board strap to hold my iPad, (dash is pretty full).Iíve consider covering with a sheet of paper or towel but this defeat the purpose when itís being used for navigation, I also use an iPhone for back up. But this isnít the answer I am looking for. Anybody found a solution?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ö
    Posts
    8,858
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the cooling cases on the market?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Crestline, CA
    Posts
    348
    Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine has one of these from MyGoFlight and really likes it. Says it stops overheating in direct sunlight. I haven't tried one, but I intend to as soon as I pick up a new iPad mini.

    https://mygoflight.com/products/ipad...mountable-case

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones View Post
    A friend of mine has one of these from MyGoFlight and really likes it. Says it stops overheating in direct sunlight. I haven't tried one, but I intend to as soon as I pick up a new iPad mini.

    https://mygoflight.com/products/ipad...mountable-case
    I have one and they definitely work. Not cheap, and they don’t provide as many mounting options as I’d like, but for the purpose that they’re designed for, I’d give them an A+.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by SPX View Post
    I have one and they definitely work. Not cheap, and they donít provide as many mounting options as Iíd like, but for the purpose that theyíre designed for, Iíd give them an A+.
    thank you for your input, I believe this will solve my problem 🧐😀

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also struggle with my ipad mini overheating in the sun. my solution is to make sure it is not in the direct sun by putting sunshades up where needed, and aiming a fresh air vent at it. that does work. the cooling case looks like a good add too, but if direct sun is hitting the screen, it soaks up a lot of heat.

  7. #7
    daedgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like
    We use the mygoflight cases in the helicopters and have had great success with them. Just use caution as now when you remove the ipads to use elsewhere they are now caseless.... I've dropped one while installing in the heli.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by daedgerton View Post
    We use the mygoflight cases in the helicopters and have had great success with them. Just use caution as now when you remove the ipads to use elsewhere they are now caseless.... I've dropped one while installing in the heli.
    thanks for the tips!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Silverdale, WA
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also strap my iPad to my leg. Sometimes the glare from direct sunlight makes it hard to see so I use something under the front edge to tilt it. I tried a folded map or a small hand towel which work ok. I’m making a small hard foam wedge from leftover sea kayak customizing. I can round the bottom side to fit my leg and it won’t slip.

    The tilt also reduces the sun angle and helps with cooling. Also getting it up off my leg a little increases air circulation for cooling.

    When I’m not using the iPad I place a light colored cloth or piece of paper over it to block the sun if needed.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Over heating iPad

    Quote Originally Posted by h2oavi8r View Post
    I also strap my iPad to my leg. Sometimes the glare from direct sunlight makes it hard to see so I use something under the front edge to tilt it. I tried a folded map or a small hand towel which work ok. Iím making a small hard foam wedge from leftover sea kayak customizing. I can round the bottom side to fit my leg and it wonít slip.

    The tilt also reduces the sun angle and helps with cooling. Also getting it up off my leg a little increases air circulation for cooling.

    When Iím not using the iPad I place a light colored cloth or piece of paper over it to block the sun if needed.
    Makes sense, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. PA-11 Heating Pad
    By samp in forum Member to Member
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2017, 11:14 PM
  2. SQ2 Over heating
    By all_valleyboy in forum Experimental Cubs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM
  3. Over heating
    By idaho taildragger in forum Super Cub Sick Bay
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 06:52 AM
  4. J-3 Heating
    By canadiancubber in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 03:42 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •