• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Home built piper wings

pilotski

FRIEND
canada
I have a set of home built piper wings to fit J-3 or Pa 11 i'd like to cut the front spar to fit a pa-18 does anyone know if its **** the same and a piper pa-20?

Wood or metal spars on the home built J3 wings? Spar spacing should be the same but you never know based on the plans used.
Marty57

Wood or metal spars on the home built J3 wings? Spar spacing should be the same but you never know based on the plans used.
Marty57
There wing i built with metal spars what i want to do is cut the front spar down to go in a pa-18 fuselage the j-3 front spar bolts in the center of the fuselage

I have done that, and it is a pretty simple process if your wings were built to correct dimension. You simply need to make sure that the wings are going to be on straight before you drill your holes in the spar. You do not want them swept forward or swept back. Done carefully and correctly it’s a matter of a few hours work.

Be sure that the top of the wings are going to meet the profile of the cabin top, unless you intend to change the angle of attack. Get that squared away before you grill your holes.

I don’t know what the PA20 pattern looks like, but you can use any bracket you want as a pattern to drill holes. If you have P A 20 spar brackets you could use them if you want. Or super cub brackets or J3 brackets. I think the only question then becomes how many bolts do you want through the front spar for the gross weight intended

When I did the one I refer to I set the fuselage directly on a flat surface with no landing gear or engine installed. Mounted the wing struts and bolted the rear spar fitting into place. Bolted the front bracket in place onto the fuselage then squared, the wings into place and drill the front holes.

When I did the one I refer to I set the fuselage directly on a flat surface with no landing gear or engine installed. Mounted the wing struts and bolted the rear spar fitting into place. Bolted the front bracket in place onto the fuselage then squared, the wings into place and drill the front holes.
I just want the pattern of the front spar from the compression tube to where it bolt on to the fuselage right now it has a front spar for a J-3 i need to make it shorter for the super cub i'm wanting to know if its the same pattern on the front spar of a piper pa-20 thank you

The hole pattern in the spar and the fittings bolted to the spar, for the PA-20, -22 are different than the PA-18.

I think the concept is that the load is in line with the fastener pattern, which differs on the PA-20, -22 from that of the PA-18, because the distance between the wing attach and the strut is different.

Following the drawing for the PA-18 spar is probably a better bet.

Back