• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lightweight 10” ABI 10650 wheels and 35” tires - weights + pireps?

JohnnyR

SPONSOR
AK, ME - what time of year is it?
Anyone running these with an opinion on strength and longevity compared to the standard 10 x 6.50 ABI wheels? Airframes Alaska advertises a 4.25 lb reduction in weight per wheel. Lighter likely means weaker, but that isn’t to say these are “fragile.”

https://www.airframesalaska.com/lightweight-10650-Wheel-p/abi-10650-lw
d863f5f7-6f27-4abf-bece-c2b9e039dd08

Thanks

Last edited:
If the wheels got certified I would not worry about strength. The heavy wheels were certified for Beaver gross weights. A bit overkill on a Cub.

Dave Caulkins told a story of original 10x6.5 wheel failures on Cubs. I don’t recall the details. Certainly not an epidemic these days.

The 10x6.5 wheels on the website say not approved for Beaver 35s. What do Beavers use? I always wondered about the three bolt rotors at Beaver operating weights.

Beavers use a totally different wheel- 10” Cleveland’s with a gaggle of bolts holding the disc on and 4-5 puck calipers. I’ve never seen one with ABI wheels; I doubt that would end well…. The AML says Cleveland kit 199-95 is required for installation of the 35’s…

Last edited:
Ah, I thought for some reason the heavier wheel was approved on the Beaver, I guess it was just the tire. I remember the tires were originally designed for the Beaver and then Greg Miller made a set of 10" wheels and then Bushwheel certified wheels and 35" tires on the Cubs. The older I get the more I remember bits and pieces. Like to know more about the failures. I know my brother and I slid down a hill sideways on 35s and all it did was been the axle. We were able to fly it home. Gets your attention when you see a 35" Bushwheel disappear under the airplane from the back seat.

Just wait, it gets better. Yesterday three of us 60-somethings were walking and randomly started singing the theme song from Green Acres (we all knew the words), but couldn’t remember what we had for dinner the night before!

Back