• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Strut lengths PA-12 with 18 style gear compared to 18 gear?

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I have some EDO 2000s which I never installed.
They are supposed to be for a PA-12 with PA-18 style gear legs.
I am going to sell the plane and floats. ( Gotta find something more bad hip friendly)
How much difference, if any, is there between the struts for a PA-12 with 18 style gear and a regular PA-18 strut set-up?

Attachments

• 019 (1280x960).jpg
    019 (1280x960).jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I will give that a try.
Just measuring without anyone to help hold the other end of the tape, I came out with the following on mine
BOLT TO BOLT
28.5 inches for the rear struts
50.5 for the diagonal strut
35.0 inches for the forward strut
and 67 inches for the spread bar bolt to bolt.

When I converted my -12 from stock gear to -18 gear the forward gear pivot points did not change. I only had to add the cabane attachments.

When I put my -12 on EDO 2000s I bought floats from an -18 and had them installed on my -12. When I sold those floats they went back onto an -18. I don’t recall any talk of modifying the strut lengths. Not recalling isn’t a solid answer but I usually remember details like that.

Isn't there an -18 there which you can measure? All the 2000 spreaders are the same. A difference would be the length of the cross wires and/or their wire pulls due to the width of the fuselage.
Your rear struts are very short... have they been cut down? I have Citabria struts on my Cub and the rear one is 31-7/8". I lengthened it to 33" for my installation.

Well, I found a couple sets of EDO 2000s set up for PA-18s and another set in town that are on a PA-12 with 18 style gear.
My measurements are the same as the other PA-12.
The PA-18 set-ups are narrower, and have different length struts.

What do you mean by the PA-18 set-ups are narrower? All of the 2000 floats came from EDO with the same spreader bars for all the different installations. The early PA-12 had a welded steel truss which was changed to the same style of struts as the other planes. This is not what you have.

The part numbers for the PA-12 struts are front 89-S-181, diagonal 89-S-144, rear 89-S-182
The part numbers for the PA-18 struts are front 69475, diagonal 69476, rear 69477
I don't have the dimensions. Your rear strut seems short, as though someone has shortened it to give the -12 a higher angle of attack.

I have some EDO 2000s which I never installed.
They are supposed to be for a PA-12 with PA-18 style gear legs.
I am going to sell the plane and floats. ( Gotta find something more bad hip friendly)
How much difference, if any, is there between the struts for a PA-12 with 18 style gear and a regular PA-18 strut set-up?

Are the floats in Alaska or lower 48?

Back