• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tango Cub Front Heel Brakes

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
I've seen a number of EXP Cubs with the brake master cylinders mounted near the firewall for front seat pilot only brakes. There are a lot of planes that left the factory with pilot only brakes, among old taildraggers there's Chiefs, T-Crafts, Luscombe's, J4's and so on. I realize those are all side by sides, but you get my point. I have a Tango Cub and the toe brakes kinda bug me. Does anyone know of "ANY" certified Cub that has been modified/Field Approved for front pilot only brakes? Javron makes a really cool master cylinder assembly but I don't think I could get that approved. If nothing else, I could just mount 2 Scott M/C's up front and rerun the brake lines. What do you guys think - other than "Gee, toe brakes aren't so bad" LOL. Thanks in advance.

Why not try to get a stock heal brake setup with the masters under the front seat. That seems about as simple as it gets.
DENNY

Why not try to get a stock heal brake setup with the masters under the front seat
From what I've seen, the fuselage for the Tango Cubs is set up a little different. Maybe I'm wrong. The provisions (Welded) aren't in the Tango fuselages for the Scott M/C's from what I can see. Plus, trying to weld all the provisions in now creates a fabric job as well. If it were a "Simple bolt in" I think people would be doing it. The Tango fuselages are different.

Look at this drawing and see if the tabs shown are on your fuselage tubing. I can't imagine modifying the fuselage when they could just not install the Scott brakes. Web

Attachments

• Brakes.pdf
    438 KB · Views: 74
Get ahold of Robbie Grove, of Grove Aircraft. His is the only Tango Cub I have ever flown with satisfactory toe brakes.

But I agree with the above - convert to heel brakes if you can. If your floorboards are in good shape, the masters can be held in place with fender washers and steel plate reinforcements.

Master cylinders are available new - Steve’s, Dakota, maybe Jones, and Grove if you can get a field approval.

Used is really expensive if you can find them.

We modified a Tango Cub to heel brakes...
Great info Steve. Thanks for taking the time to photo document the process. If my airplane was apart that would be a "Must do" modification for sure. The good thing is, my Cub is about ready to fly, the bad thing is - - - my Cub is about ready to fly - LOL. In order to do the modifications to the rear position, I'd be cutting a lot of fabric. If there were someway (Short of EXP) to install front pilot only brakes, I could do it with just a boot cowl pull.
Also, looking at your pictures, I now realize that the front rudder pedals aren't even in the same position. They're further aft and further outboard. There is a misbelieve that all Supercub fuselages came down the assembly line in the same configuration. At least in the era of the Tango Cubs, it ain't so... They're a different bird in a number of ways. Don't get me wrong, I love the airplane and feel blessed to have it and I think it will serve me well, I'd just love it even more with heel brakes. We'll see, EXP Exhibition is look'n better and better all the time.

Attachments

• Pedals.jpg
    Pedals.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 44
Exp Exhibition is a lousy category. It would be worth it to cut fabric, get the proper brackets welded in, and preserve your resale value, not to mention the operational safety that comes with good brakes.

Again, check with Robbie - his toe brakes were quite good. Maybe that is an easy way.

Exp Exhibition is a lousy category.

Well it may be for a PA-18 but I owned and operated a sailplane as Experimental Exhibition and Racing but quite a few years. I imported it new and applied for airworthiness inspection. The only reservation I had about it was that I needed to submit a program letter every year to the local FSDO.

Experimental was my only option as this German production built aircraft had no FAA approval at the time.

Experimental exhibition and racing is common for factory built sailplanes imported to USA. Many sailplane owners prefer experimental exhibition and racing to standard airworthiness certification.

Why would having experimental exhibition be a major disadvantage for a PA-18?

Here is one comment from a thread on back country pilot. You were a participant. I am definitely not an expert - just think it would be cheaper and easier to do a day’s worth of work and make it a good certificated Cub. It’s all Opinion.

Well, a call to my local FSDO has really reduced my desire to proceed any further on this particular airplane. He cautioned against the idea of XC proficiency flights with the fam onboard. I had thought that if that was outlined in the program letter it’d be above board, but he advised it’s still outside of the intent.

Here is one comment from a thread on back country pilot. You were a participant.

Not sure who the "you" was directed too but I was not a participant in that discussion. It may, however, be a valid point that most experimental racing and exhibition sailplanes are single place so "taking the family" is not a consideration.

I figured it was you because of the similarity of the glider discussion. Should have read it more carefully - sorry.

I know that EXP Exhibition was long thought of as very restrictive but I was under the impression that it's become less restrictive? I can't remember the guys name, but he has a C-175 and a Champ, he's a regular poster on social media and he swears by Exhibition. I thought things had changed, I might be mistaken.

I know that EXP Exhibition was long thought of as very restrictive but I was under the impression that it's become less restrictive? I can't remember the guys name, but he has a C-175 and a Champ, he's a regular poster on social media and he swears by Exhibition. I thought things had changed, I might be mistaken.

You asked about this a year ago, Dave:

EXP Exhibition - Less Restrictive? (supercub.org)

Probably the only way to get an accurate answer is to ask the FAA inspector(s) who would be signing the airplane off as an E-E,
and issuing the operating limitations / letter of authorization.

Back