• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Valdez Fly In May 12-14 2023

jprax

FOUNDER
Hi All
Here is the update on the schedule for Valdez for this year:
Friday:
Noon: Beach Landing Safety Briefing. Due to tides we moved the Poker Run to Friday afternoon. We will have the briefing at noon or you can use the online one and go straight out to the beach on the way to Valdez.
3-6pm: Pilot Roundtables
6:30 Hangar bbq.

Saturday
9-11am: Roundtables
1pm STOL Safety Briefing
2pm STOL
7pm Awards Banquet

Sunday
10am Flour Bombing
Noon: Airshow start. We will have Melissa Burns and Scott Sexton performing aerobatics, Evert's C-46 Demonstration and more as the show comes together!

One item is this year there is no room for RV parking INSIDE the fence. The land has been leased out. You can still camp under your wing and in the parking areas outside the fence. As we get closer we will know have information about in town RV parks.

We will have more information on as it gets updated.

Frequency changes durring show

Frequency for the show. Hope to see you all there.
DENNY

Attachments

• IMG_8317.jpg
    IMG_8317.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 100
I will be driving Thursday with 5th wheel then Ravin flight back on Friday to bring out the cub. Anyone wants to fly along with a dirt slow cub let me know. I should be Leaving hood around 1500.
Denny

Last edited:
As of Friday night we have over 60 airplanes on the ramp. As usual the actual weather was no where near the forecast. Remember the Valdez forecast area includes Thompson Pass. That is why snow often shows as predicted for Valdez and temps are 10 degrees cooler than actual. The weather window for Saturday and the STOL competition looks to be perfect. We need to have you registered by Noon if you are going to fly in the competition and the safety briefing is at 1. STOL will be at 2

If you like to stream it there will be a link on Valdezflyin.com. We have a good mix of airplanes this year and hopefully more come in on Saturday morning. We have the C-46 demonstration, a C-130 measured take off and Melissa Burns and Scott Sexton performing aerobatics in addition to the competition. We have a full airshow again on Sunday along with the Flour Bombing competition.

If you are flying over please don't push weather and use the weather cams.

Just got back home with the 5th Wheel and Jane. What a great time I got spanked like a Redheaded stepchild by some young kids. I did manage to beat a rockstar Tripacer and Champ. Weather was Great on Saturday and a bit of light rain on Sunday. Windy seems to be the best for planing and predicting Rain and wind at Valdez and along the route. Flight Service was able to get me a good route in on Friday with the cub. Valdez crew and tower was AWESOME!!! They made an extremely complicated dance of Aircraft, Pilots and Events run as smooth as silk. Hopefully will get back tomorrow to pick up the Cub.
DENNY

Looks like Steve Spence in his 172 took the crown again in all categories, only one light sport was better, and to me they are not really in the same categories as all others.
Greenbean the 172 is the true champ!
Congrats Spence!
John

Thank you for putting up the improved resolution file.
Also wind was about 7-8kts right down the runway and died off a bit for Alt Bush and Light Sport. The cubs did really well and while they didn't win there was great flying all around. The Champ did great and the 206 take offs got everyone's attention. It is fun to hear the crowd "oooo and ahhh" during the event. We need to try and capture that.
Joe

Thanks for doing the PDF. I almost did that yesterday but ran out of time. I need to look at the compression settings. I have not done that for a while (10 years?).

sj

Sorry, but still not very clear on my end. Even the pdf is blurry. Thanks for the effort to all.

Sorry, but still not very clear on my end. Even the pdf is blurry. Thanks for the effort to all.

If they would create a PDF out of the original document, it would be better - rather than converting from .png.

sj

Thank you everyone for all the efforts. Next year we are going to have real time results along with the online registration we were able to use. Obviously this will be people other than me doing this.
We are meeting next week to start planning for 2024 and our 20th event.

Correction for the Alternate Bush Class winner listing...the winning aircraft is actually a Super Cruiser (PA-12), not a Super Cub.

Great event and weekend! Was fun flying over and back along with the festivities. My daughter absolutely loved it as well.

I don't think I'd call Nathan's airplane a PA-12....More like an SQ-12 although I'm not sure the exact kit (CAW-12?). I thought it was a backcountry SQ-12 but maybe not, seems to be a different build. Slatted out with long P-STOL's, 6" extended gear and a ground adjustable prop. Beautiful airplane, won best experimental at the Alaska Airmen's GAAG show.

I don't think I'd call Nathan's airplane a PA-12....More like an SQ-12 although I'm not sure the exact kit (CAW-12?). I thought it was a backcountry SQ-12 but maybe not, seems to be a different build. Slatted out with long P-STOL's, 6" extended gear and a ground adjustable prop. Beautiful airplane, won best experimental at the Alaska Airmen's GAAG show.

Yet the 172 flown by Steve Spence in light touring beat them all but one light sport, not really in the same category as all others.
Steve flies that 172 pretty well to beat all the cubs including modified ones.

Yet the 172 flown by Steve Spence in light touring beat them all but one light sport, not really in the same category as all others.
Steve flies that 172 pretty well to beat all the cubs including modified ones.
Steve can fly that airplane. I see his best combined score was 170 feet. I see other airplanes in other classes that beat that so what am I missing in this discussion.

Steve can fly that airplane. I see his best combined score was 170 feet. I see other airplanes in other classes that beat that so what am I missing in this discussion.

Steve,
Sorry I missed that, had looked at earlier results posted above the last one and did not see they had revised them. Early results showed different than the last one, so my fault for not seeing revisions.
My mistake. Hope Bush class guys not offended.
John

It's definitely experimental but is a -12. Fuselage is PA-12 base with lots of modifications and the wings are true PA-12 wings (with some neat history) that have obviously been modified heavily as well. I'm not arguing it to be a stock PA-12. I'm arguing that it is absolutely not an SQ or other "kit" plane. It is a modified experimental PA-12, no different than the modified experimental PA-18s out there that aren't a Backcountry, SQ or other.

It's definitely experimental but is a -12. Fuselage is PA-12 base with lots of modifications and the wings are true PA-12 wings (with some neat history) that have obviously been modified heavily as well. I'm not arguing it to be a stock PA-12. I'm arguing that it is absolutely not an SQ or other "kit" plane. It is a modified experimental PA-12, no different than the modified experimental PA-18s out there that aren't a Backcountry, SQ or other.

OK, good to know. It is a one-off type of custom build then? I ask Nathan as much as I think he will tolerate about his bird every time I see him but don't want to be too annoying!

Hey, it is a one off build. It is a combo of all the things that I always wished I had. Fun to build and put it all together. It is a new 12 fuselage with a couple changes and original 12 wings with an added touch of flare! I like talking to people about it, ask away!

Hey, it is a one off build. It is a combo of all the things that I always wished I had. Fun to build and put it all together. It is a new 12 fuselage with a couple changes and original 12 wings with an added touch of flare! I like talking to people about it, ask away!

Are there pictures of it somewhere? A list of the mods you made to it? I'd like to see it (to see which goodies I need to copy for my PA-12) :)

Back