• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18: Cover over rear seat stick to keep stuff from jamming controls

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Several years ago I was returning from KC, spending time with Steve and Laura and enjoying the Excelsior Pancake Breakfast (Jim and Sarah Dickerson) and I had the unfortunate experience of having a headset plug get caught in the rear seat control stick apparatus, making it impossible to bank right. I know, I know, I shouldn't have anything on the floor in front of the rear seat, but I did...a headset for giving Young Eagle flights. I made it down onto a grass strip in Iowa, found the problem and swore never to put stuff on the rear floorboard.

I know Atlee has a solid cover for the rear stick apparatus, but I would like a "boot" of some sort, kinda like a gear shift boot in a hot rod, that covers over the hole in the floorboard. Do any of you have a pattern for said item that you would be willing to share? Here's one I found, but would like to see your ideas.

Thanks!

Randy

L21s have such a boot, presumably to prevent shells from getting in. I'll check to see if I have the original pattern.

How about a shifter boot from a hotrod shop like Summit Racing? Atlee’s cover is for stick removal. A boot would allow the stick to remain in place.

a brake and a tinsnips and your on your way.
file.php

Last edited:
Some heavy canvas, suture kit and someone that can sew could make one really quick. A piece of aluminum cut out the correct shape to help hold to the floor, and something as simple as a zip tie around the stick to hold it on the stick.

Not a bad idea to prevent stuff from going into the under side. Lots of weight gain over years of stuff collecting down there.

Years ago while in a local aircraft parts store I was about ready to throw down on an Atlee Dodge stick cover and the old dude there said save your money and use a 3.5 gallon bucket with cut outs on each end for the control tube. After years of using it……well it’s crude but nice. Don’t even really need the bungee on it. It’s solid as is. Even if pax has big boots there is still plenty room for their feet. Plus a flat space to put their pack or bag in front of them. Solo I’ve piled all types of stuff on it and never had an issue. Plus, when camping or ice fishing you have a usable bucket albeit some small cut outs.

Attachments

• 0998EE84-9FC0-4632-9DC6-41434FCE3708.jpg
    0998EE84-9FC0-4632-9DC6-41434FCE3708.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 036C6DCB-6220-4C57-9B23-3CD4450A27A1.jpg
    036C6DCB-6220-4C57-9B23-3CD4450A27A1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 62
Randy,

Sounds like you want to cover the hole in the floor not the entire stick stub. If that’s the case, here’s what I did to keep stuff from falling into that hole and jamming controls. Here are a couple photos of what I did. I made a carbon fiber bracket that I bonded to the floor. I used pop rivets to attach snaps to the bracket. I stitched a leather boot and installed the other half of the snap at the base of the boot.there has to be an opening at the front for the elevator cable but otherwise should keep most things from falling into places that could cause problems.

535B8553-56FF-4481-A82C-7C131D9EB5FC.jpeg487259B6-BA74-4AC4-9281-F2E3003E7FB1.jpeg

Attachments

• 535B8553-56FF-4481-A82C-7C131D9EB5FC.jpeg
    535B8553-56FF-4481-A82C-7C131D9EB5FC.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 487259B6-BA74-4AC4-9281-F2E3003E7FB1.jpeg
    487259B6-BA74-4AC4-9281-F2E3003E7FB1.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 107
Hi , If I 'think' I understand the part you are talking about (I'm a cub newbie) I just made two of these from the piper drawings. When I get back near a computer tomorrow, I'll post the piper drawing link if you like. Unavair also stock the boot in brown with the metal 'ring' base stapled in.

Here are the pic's of the ones I just cut out of this nice carbon coloured vinyl - and stole my wifes button maker! I'm getting her help sewing the edges down so they dont frey.

boot1.jpgboot2.jpgboot3.jpgboot4.jpg

Here is the unavair (brown) one:
unapart.jpg
And this is the one of the stock Cub I just flew

vhcub.png

Hope this helps....

Damian

Attachments

• boot4.jpg
    boot4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 89
  • boot1.jpg
    boot1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 100
  • boot2.jpg
    boot2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 94
  • boot3.jpg
    boot3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 77
  • unapart.jpg
    unapart.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 86
  • vhcub.png
    vhcub.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I made one out of duct tape that looks just like the post above. Has worked for years. Where it goes over the torque tube I stuck duct tape together so it wouldn’t stick to the tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend of mine sewed me one like tackdog's. I think she gave me a couple of extras if you can make the frame to fit. It was made right off the L21 drawing but had to modify the metal base to fit around my floor mounted seat belt attachment.
20191031_194748.jpg

Attachments

• 20191031_194748.jpg
    20191031_194748.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,539
Years ago while in a local aircraft parts store I was about ready to throw down on an Atlee Dodge stick cover and the old dude there said save your money and use a 3.5 gallon bucket with cut outs on each end for the control tube. After years of using it……well it’s crude but nice. Don’t even really need the bungee on it. It’s solid as is. Even if pax has big boots there is still plenty room for their feet. Plus a flat space to put their pack or bag in front of them. Solo I’ve piled all types of stuff on it and never had an issue. Plus, when camping or ice fishing you have a usable bucket albeit some small cut outs.

Funny, I've been thinking about a 2 gallon square bucket. And sticking the lid down to the floor with velcro to snap the bucket on. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...Q1nNLWP39Q61jbHNgFhWt5TG4Fd8H51EaAnU6EALw_wcB

This may not be much help to you but maybe to others:

My PA-12 is a home-built. When I carry cargo to my cabin I need all the space I can get, so I remove the rear seat cushions. I built a plywood "cargo floor" that sits on the under-seat storage box and extends to the rear of the front seat. There's a "bump-out" in that floor to cover the stick stub, and a couple of 2 x 4 blocks (legs) either side to support the forward part. Works well for me and cost nothing. But ....I'm experimental.

I like the idea of a fabric or rubber cover that would keep some of the cold air out and still allow use of the rear stick when carrying a passenger.

This may not be much help to you but maybe to others:

My PA-12 is a home-built. When I carry cargo to my cabin I need all the space I can get, so I remove the rear seat cushions. I built a plywood "cargo floor" that sits on the under-seat storage box and extends to the rear of the front seat. There's a "bump-out" in that floor to cover the stick stub, and a couple of 2 x 4 blocks (legs) either side to support the forward part. Works well for me and cost nothing. But ....I'm experimental.

I like the idea of a fabric or rubber cover that would keep some of the cold air out and still allow use of the rear stick when carrying a passenger.
I had the same for my previous Super Cub for carrying my dogs. Made by some friends of mine, it has a bulge covering the stick stub.

PXL_20201025_140110797.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201025_140110797.jpg
    PXL_20201025_140110797.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,274
I made the same plywood floor in my Pa11 that went to the back of the front seat when I went camping

Glenn

Wifey picked up an empty icing bucket from a local grocery store bakery (free) and it’ll work nicely to cover my aft stick stub. I wonder if she’ll miss it? :)

Attachments

• 6E8197EB-A19D-4700-B1CB-08E2547C6B9C.jpg
    6E8197EB-A19D-4700-B1CB-08E2547C6B9C.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 80
  • B9FB08A0-AF30-4378-8E21-48894CCAE191.jpg
    B9FB08A0-AF30-4378-8E21-48894CCAE191.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 87
These are images that I shared online a couple of years ago of the first stick cover I made from 2024T3. I should have also shared them here. No sheet metal experience. I used a shear, brake, snips, and a stretcher/shrinker. Soft rivets were used to make it easier to set with a hammer in the inside areas where the squeezer couldn't reach. The project took far longer than I anticipated. I personally like the plastic bucket solutions.

IMG_8863.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8863.jpg
    IMG_8863.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
when i built my metal one to make a curved top i had to cut little v slots between the rivit holes. something round, like a bucket with some tabs, would probably be easier. 2 ways to look at it, either cover the whole control mast or just stop things from getting lost.

Most of my flying is alone ( no one seems to want to go with me)......so I like the full cover for all my junk behind me.

Atlee’s family jewels story was a classic, but more guys use the stick cover to protect from backpacks and moose quarters.

I miss that old man. Isabelle, too.

I have a Dodge stick cover I can sell, if anyone is interested. Unused, never installed.

Hey tempdog, Thanks for the print of the rear boot, been looking for a good way to cover that area and keep stuff out of that hole and still have the rear stick useable. Thanks again Bucky.

Carbon Concepts stick cover adapted to my Rev. The box is backwards of normal and I closed off the end with some aluminum. It’s installed with VHB tape so no messing with screws in the foam core floor. I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2037.jpg
    IMG_2037.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 58
Back