• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New brake lines

Helmetfire

FRIEND
Caldwell, Texas
Bought some 3 inch extended gear and looking for best ideas for new brake lines.

What I'd like to do is use some Aeroquip teflon lined stainless steel braided hose with appropriate fittings, and make a ONE PIECE line from master cylinder to caliper.

The gear legs won't be covered and I think this will be the best look and function, but not sure about the "acceptability"

Certified Cub

Thanks!

Last edited:
My exp Cub’s brake lines are from a local hydraulics store, made to my specs. I wouldn’t hesitate to do the same on a certified Cub.

Attachments

• 1C5F964F-AFC2-4A3A-86A6-0D86048FA888.jpeg
    1C5F964F-AFC2-4A3A-86A6-0D86048FA888.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 100
My certified cub wears exactly what you want. I made them just long enough to switch between my 6" gear and my 3" gear because I thought I might like the shorter gear better on 35's (I don't).

The odds of a local hardware store in AK having appropriate hose and AN fittings is probably much greater than a local hardware store in most L48 locations. However there is another path to make the cost, wait times, and location, more acceptable than the standard aircraft big box supplier.

Almost any agricultural area will have a hydraulics shop. Here in the SW we use CSC, A lot. It's a ParkerStore (Parker Hannifin) and 99% of the time they have the appropriate hose and AN fittings in stock and will produce a hose to my specs while I wait. They will also have the appropriate O-rings (minus the gold plated price) for any of those needs, provided you have a mil-spec #, as they don't speak aviation in most locations. I would not plan on having them made at a local 'speed shop' as the fittings will not likely be AN (or the correct angle) and the hose will likely be a cheap Chinese braided look alike.

It would appear that the closest one to you is Wilson Company in Addison, I know nothing of them, but it'd be the first call I made, after verifying on the Parkerstore website location tool.

Take care, Rob

PS, if hydraulics speak is new to you, pull off one complete assembly mess, take it with you, and explain that you want to clean the mess up.

Last edited:
Caldwell must have a hydraulics shop with all the tractors in the area. If not? There are a handful in College Station and Bryan. They likely won’t have AN flare fittings but will have steel fittings that are compatible. What you need to look at is whether you want straight, 45°, or 90° fittings to best route the lines.

Summit Racing is about as easy as it gets. -4 reusable fittings to your liking. If you mess up on your order it’s probably not a day or two shipping from their Arlington warehouse. Easy deal once you figure out what fittings you need. Don’t over think it and there are videos to show assembly.

One reason most people keep the connection on the underside of the belly is if you go to floats or damage the line it is quick and easy to remove and cap, or remove and replace.

I've noticed that the single teflon line adds a tiny bit of a spongy feel to the brakes, versus the hard line with 303 hose. No effect on the effectiveness, just the feel. Neither good nor bad, just different.

Here are a few pics of my lines. My brakes have an AN 90° fitting and the line has a straight fitting. At the fuselage I have a 90° bulkhead fitting. Measuring for external lines was easy. It took me a few tries to get the inside lines right because of routing blind under the floor. The 45° end was from one of the failed attempts. Put chafe protection where the lines might rub on other surfaces.

Attachments

• 3B5F3F76-25E9-4E76-A01C-52DC8FBFF60C.jpg
    3B5F3F76-25E9-4E76-A01C-52DC8FBFF60C.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 046A523A-9047-4F2A-87BB-19ECC892903C.jpg
    046A523A-9047-4F2A-87BB-19ECC892903C.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 78
  • F5B38677-04D5-4895-87CE-154E1E0DE54B.jpg
    F5B38677-04D5-4895-87CE-154E1E0DE54B.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 88
  • B0624D36-265E-48DB-BB26-7E3C46A54A91.jpg
    B0624D36-265E-48DB-BB26-7E3C46A54A91.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Ah, I welded in a tab for bulkhead fitting in that exact location for brake line exit (out the side then 90 degree down). Wasn't sure how it would work but looks like it does just fine. I made metal belly pan and there just wasn't a good way to get the lines through without having to mess with a brake line every time. I was worried about someone putting a foot on it getting in our out - but I think the open door stops just above it and sort of protects it (?)

Here are a few pics of my lines. My brakes have an AN 90° fitting and the line has a straight fitting. At the fuselage I have a 90° bulkhead fitting. Measuring for external lines was easy. It took me a few tries to get the inside lines right because of routing blind under the floor. The 45° end was from one of the failed attempts. Put chafe protection where the lines might rub on other surfaces.

EDIT - Not to hijack but I also noticed EarthX - mine is in the exact same position - then I read the manual - " Installation of the battery in the cockpit is not recommended unless the battery is properly vented overboard." Hmm.. I contacted EarthX and that quote is mostly required by the lawyers, with all the safety features etc. not ever (probably) going to be an issue - no need to respond here and mess up brake thread - but we don't seem as anal here about that as some other sites I've been on :)

Last edited:
Bought some 3 inch extended gear and looking for best ideas for new brake lines.

What I'd like to do is use some Aeroquip teflon lined stainless steel braided hose with appropriate fittings, and make a ONE PIECE line from master cylinder to caliper.

The gear legs won't be covered and I think this will be the best look and function, but not sure about the "acceptability"

Certified Cub

Thanks!

Helmetfire,

Did you get your lines squared away? I’ll be driving through Caldwell in a few and thought about you.

SB

Helmetfire,

Did you get your lines squared away? I’ll be driving through Caldwell in a few and thought about you.

SB

Dang just missed you! Didn't realize you were around here.

Yes, been busy so haven't updated...I ended up using the Aeroquip -4AN SS PTFE lines with their removeable fittings. I've used the same setup in the past and its worked great and I remembered I had some leftover so it worked out nice. Only trouble I ran into was that I couldn't fit the fitting through the hole in the gear leg reinforcement, so I had to assemble one end of the line after feeding it through which was no big deal really. Having trouble downloading pics at the moment so I'll update when able.

If you're gonna be around this area send me a PM and lets meet up sometime! Always down to meet a fellow super cubber...the Caldwell airport is pretty dormant, not much going on here!

aaron

Back