• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Identifying brakes

akmarty

I’ve not seen enough brakes on cubs with labels to become proficient at identification. Does anyone have a simple way to ID what type of brakes are on a plane?

Marty
IMG_9061.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_9061.JPG
    IMG_9061.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 72
First one looks like a 1 1/2 inch axle dual puck and second one is 1 1/4. However some of the grove 1 1/2 don't have the nipples on the back do the wheels have any ID on them?
DENNY

First set came off 1.5” gear and second is installed on 1.25” gear.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The six bolt magnesium wheel with 1 1/4 axle/brake is what the cool pilots fly. They are 2.5 lbs lighter per side than the 1 1/2 aluminum 3 bolt wheels. Lots of mix and match going on usually just depends on what was around for the last rebuild. The big question is what axle do you have on your gear.
DENNY

My plane has 1.25” axles and the wheels are the 6” ABW. Need to re-line the brakes. One side wore thru to the rivets.

I just learned that when you get uneven pad wear it is likely that your spacer is incorrect. The inside surface on the plate bushings should be flush with the brake disc or it won’t wear both sides.

Mine was spaced incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I just replaced mine at annual. Stoddards has Grove pads/rivets on the shelf that fit the 1 1/4 brakes. They work fine on Cleaveland brakes. You can also get uneven pad wear if the guide pins are not moving freely.
DENNY

:pDisc.:p

I am a pilot, what more do I need to know?:lol:

If an owner, you might need to know how many zeros on the check though:sad:

Back