• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub LSA?

Sarpy

Hysham, Mt
I’m hearing rumors that the LSA weights may be raised to include some of the lighter SCubs. Has anyone else heard of it?

Sarpy Sam

The weight increase has been in discussions with the FAA for a number of years. Not sure if or when it will become a reality. The best source of info would be EAA or AOPA since both of these organizations are at the forefront of these discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The MOSAIC NPRM may be out this year, probably next. LS tickets will have endorsements up to 6000 lbs, but you'll have to earn them.

The MOSAIC NPRM may be out this year, probably next. LS tickets will have endorsements up to 6000 lbs, but you'll have to earn them.

Earn it how? Would a current sport pilot need further training to get the 'new' sport pilot license?

A Light Sport license can be endorsed up to nearly a Private. I'm endorsed to use towered airports, my understanding is the increased weights would come thru endorsements after training and a BFR like flight.

Things move slowly in the FAA….it would be nice to see though. I’m a Private Pilot SEL SES. But I went and got a CFI -SP for fun back in 2010 or so…it might be a little more useful rating if MOSAIC passes.

Things move slowly in the FAA….it would be nice to see though. I’m a Private Pilot SEL SES. But I went and got a CFI -SP for fun back in 2010 or so…it might be a little more useful rating if MOSAIC passes.

Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Sarpy Sam

Likely at least 5 years away yet. Hasn’t been out as an NPRM yet. Once it is out for NPRM they have to wait for comments, then adjudicate all the comments, then back to legal for review. That usually takes 3 to 5 years to go through that process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BasicMed was a Godsend. I am not sure I see much difference between that and LSA unless you have a really rigid family doctor. The drivers license visual test is more difficult.

I guess the big difference is if you have one of those "events" that requires you to get another 3rd class.

80% of my flying is LSA - I keep the BasicMed for the Mooney and Stearman.

Like all federal agencies, DEI is more important than safety or actually doing what they were chartered to do. I got my ass in trouble the other day when I had to fill out a web site for mentoring at the Navy. Got to the third drop down box and it says “preferred pronouns”. I lost it and emailed the dept head and said that has nothing to do with supporting the warfighter and I was offended that they would even ask such a thing. Got an email back with some wish washy stuff about having to be inclusive and all that BS.

I spoke with Richard McSpadden of AOPA while at the Montana aviation conference. He said they expected to put it out for NPRM in August.

Bill

what are you calling a “lighter SCubs”?

according to this thread, it apparently doesn’t matter. However, I’m currently building a SC with an 0-290D2 and I’m hoping to come in at 900 lbs. I may be dreaming. Just finished an 0-200 J-3 (Wag plans) that came in at 775. We’ve got a stock PA-18-150 here at the ranch and I’ll guess that it’s near 1200 by now. Now…if you build one up for Alaska work, it’s gonna’ get heavy quick. Lot of difference between it and the early SCubs. If they’re going to endorse anything up to 6k, it’s a moot point anyhow!

Sarpy Sam

...I’m currently building a SC with an 0-290D2 and I’m hoping to come in at 900 lbs. I may be dreaming...

Not at all. A friend of mine just finished a stripped down PA12 that came in under 900. It had no interior and a battery/starter only electrical system and still has an O-235 but it's amazing what it will do being that light. His credo is "Low weight is free horse power". I've been giving a lot of thought to a dedicated single place O-290 powered Super Cub in LSA. If you come in around 900-ish pounds, an average-ish weight pilot could still have 30+ gallons of fuel (before cargo) and stay within LSA rules.

Not at all. A friend of mine just finished a stripped down PA12 that came in under 900. It had no interior and a battery/starter only electrical system and still has an O-235 but it's amazing what it will do being that light. His credo is "Low weight is free horse power". I've been giving a lot of thought to a dedicated single place O-290 powered Super Cub in LSA. If you come in around 900-ish pounds, an average-ish weight pilot could still have 30+ gallons of fuel (before cargo) and stay within LSA rules.

That would be a fun airplane. This one is a SC fuselage but stripped all the flap hardware (almost 5 lbs). The wood wings with the 18 tanks came in at 72 lbs each which is only 3 lbs heavier than my exp J-3. Stripped the Prestolite and replaced with a B&C and removed the generator(12 lbs if I remember correctly) and will occasionally charge an Odyssey. Some guys are claiming 40+ starts between charging but I suspect it’s on the little Continentals. Planning on the Sensenich ground adj prop. Looking fwd to flying it. Getting close to cover.

Thanks for the interest,

Sarpy Sam

LSA drift

Like all federal agencies, DEI is more important than safety or actually doing what they were chartered to do. I got my ass in trouble the other day when I had to fill out a web site for mentoring at the Navy. Got to the third drop down box and it says “preferred pronouns”. I lost it and emailed the dept head and said that has nothing to do with supporting the warfighter and I was offended that they would even ask such a thing. Got an email back with some wish washy stuff about having to be inclusive and all that BS.

One of our Airline Check Airmen was sitting in the COCKPIT (left seat) and the A male (?) FA asked him what pro noun he wished to be be called. The CA simply looked up and replied....."Captain" Conversation ended.

I think after a lot of mfr's jumped thru the hoops to build extra light aircraft to meet the LSA parameters
that it would be doing them a disservice to raise the LSA weight limit now.
Lowering the bar is just as unfair to early LSA mfr's as raising the bar now would be for future ones.

I would like to see the aircraft weight limitations for flying under sport pilot raised though.
I think FAA shot themselves in the foot when they set that at 1320,
when it very easily could have been higher and included Cessna 150 & similar.
Will mosaic be addressing that also?

As an aside, we are using the smaller PC545 (Odyssey) in 85 hp J-3s. A brand new battery gets us over 70 starts. Two year old batteries easily get 50 starts. I would guess the larger PC680 will get 50 or so on a 150 Lycoming.

I quit counting a while back, but we fly almost every day, and the batteries get charged about once every two months. I just charge them when they hit a steady 12.4 volts.

Wasn't the idea of a 1320 gear - 1430 floats to exclude some currently available aircraft from Sport Pilot ops? To encourage economic vitality and a market demand for LSA manufacturers? Or something similar? I didn't follow the process but do recall internet discussion relative to that.

Gary

I would like to see pictures of that pa/12

That -12 sounds like a riot!

A friend told about a “pronoun” discussion between a big jet captain and a flight attendant: you can imagine how the first stememt went. the response was….”…yes, and I would like to be addressed as “His Majesty”…” :) sorry SJ. i want to be inclusive here.

Back