• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing Broken Elevator

DailTragger

ND
Hi, all. I've got a -12 with a -18 tail. Unfortunately, just discovered the main support tube on the LH elevator has broken clear through just outboard of the hinge/stabilizer attach point and needs to be replaced (forgive my phraseology). Discovered the issue on the ground before flying, thank goodness.

So, I'm reaching out to the hive mind to get your thoughts on whether I should save some pennies and try to find a serviceable LH elevator assembly or should I get a new one? If used, should I pay a few extra for a covered elevator or will I just need to tear off the fabric to inspect it anyway?

Why did it break? Rusty inside? Hit something?
If the tubing is in otherwise good condition, it can be repaired with an inside splice. If the tubing is in bad condition, just replace the one tube. Or spend some $$$$

If you can find a good one already covered I'd go with that route. Unless you are set up with all the supplies etc to cover/finish one... my opinion is that it is not worth gearing up just for one feather. Check with the local cub mechanics they can probably help.
I have removed and stripped cover off three flying cubs (tail feathers) to discover most pieces swiss cheesed, with a few that could have been used after some welding/blasting/priming/painting.

Why did it break? Rusty inside? Hit something?
If the tubing is in otherwise good condition, it can be repaired with an inside splice. If the tubing is in bad condition, just replace the one tube. Or spend some $$$$

Sorry for ghosting. Had a near month-long work trip and this fell off my radar. Talked to a few folks and decided to go with a new LH elevator so at least I know it's in good condition.

Not sure what caused the break. Didn't hit anything and nothing but pavement lately. Was told that the break was too close to the hinge to repair.

Was told that the break was too close to the hinge to repair.

Glad you've found a good solution. But just couldn't leave that piece of advice hanging cuz it's nonsense. No reason an internal splice repair is ruled out because of the hinge. Having said that replacing the whole tube would be the simplest and best course if the choice was made to repair.
S

Back