• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa18 Trim

Is there a thread here or can anyone tell me about the early Airframes Pa18 fuselages with the incorrect trim tower installation, built possibly during the early days when Lee Budde owned the company? And the corrective measures...

I don't remember that issue, only the wing incidence being off. The Smith Cubs had the tail angles inverted.

For what its worth my jackscrew tower I bought from them was half an inch short on all 4 legs, bought in 2019. And it had a PMA tag. Interested to know the story.

Steve I did a little more research and the airframes were built by Northern Airframes which was bought by Airframes. I was told today that Airframes cannot track a serial number from Northern Airframes...that's sounds like a bunch of bull to me as they now represent who they bought!

I have flown some of those fuselages built in 2000 and had no issues with trim. First I have heard of this one that I can remember which seems to be an issue according to my wife and kids.

I called Airframes yesterday with my serial number of my PMA'd frame from Northern Airframes, the outfit that Airframes bought out. They're response is they can't track my serial number cause there records only go back to when Airframes started building frames. Total BS!!!! If you buy an airframe outfit out you must have the data on those frames that were built!!!! I'm very unhappy with Airframes and avoid them at all cost and I'm hearing many others do the same. They're becoming known as an outfit that knows how to sell you a tent!!!!
For what its worth my jackscrew tower I bought from them was half an inch short on all 4 legs, bought in 2019. And it had a PMA tag. Interested to know the story.

I have a Northern Airframe fuselage. I replaced the jackscrew recently and all the angles measured correct. Logbooks are in the hanger I will try to remember to look up the serial number and what year it was replaced (around 04 if I remember right). What year was your fuselage replaced and how many degrees stabilizer travel are you getting?
DENNY

I called Airframes yesterday with my serial number of my PMA'd frame from Northern Airframes, the outfit that Airframes bought out. They're response is they can't track my serial number cause there records only go back to when Airframes started building frames. Total BS!!!! If you buy an airframe outfit out you must have the data on those frames that were built!!!! I'm very unhappy with Airframes and avoid them at all cost and I'm hearing many others do the same. They're becoming known as an outfit that knows how to sell you a tent!!!!
You didn't know Lee Budde back then. Guess I don't know why you would blame Airframes for something Lee didn't keep track of. I would put a jackscrew and tail feathers on it, measure and compare to the Type Certificate Data Sheet.

I went to the hanger and dug out the logs today. My fuselage was replaced in 04 Serial #18140.
DENNY

Denny, I replaced fuselage with the Northern Airframes fuselage. All new jackscrew and hardware. It appeared I had a stiff trim issue. Builders here in AK pointed to some early Northern Airframes fuse's trim towers not being welded in properly causing binding on the jackscrew. I kept on digging, but recently solved my issue with some grease. Everything works fine now. No further need for this post but can't figure a way to delete it.

Just leave it up. It is still winter and we need something to read/post on. We can always expand it to what is the best grease for the Jackscrew especially in the winter.
DENNY

Stock PA-12 cleaned off jack screw and cable lubed with lockese graphite. 7 years and 1200 hours ago no slipping in cold weather. Doesn't attract dirt and grit.

Back