• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Strut loose at wing fitting. Any fix ?

Another Cubber

short final
Have a Piper with some movement between strut and wing fitting. Holes in strut elongated. Haven’t put an indicator on it yet, but guessing 0.012”-0.015” of vertical movement. Seems to be a regular occurrence at strut fork to fuselage. Anyone had this at the top end ? Any approved fix outside of replacing strut ?

Can hear it and feel movement between strut and wing fitting with my thumb resting over both. Hard to see because it’s a small amount, but it’s there.

I think I would fix that. Hard to believe a sealed strut would be elongated, but maybe the steel channels bolted to the wing? Easy to take it apart and look.

Your tie down ring isn't tight enough. But from an owner's perspective I'd remove fastener and examine fastener, strut's hole, spar strap fitting holes, and spar fitting for change in shape, size (see link below), or component wear. If it's only one wing that's loose inspect the other for a comparison? Fastener is AN5 I believe.

Component dimensions are available here> http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/main.aspx

Gary

Last edited:
Back