• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baby 180

rsrguy3

FRIEND
Getting the fastback straight tail 150 going. I need to re arch the mains... any recommendations?
What's it cost and how long does it last? We're doing the engine now.Screenshot_20230309_184103_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230309_184029_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230309_184103_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_184103_Gallery.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20230309_184029_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230309_184029_Gallery.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 105
One of the planes I learned to fly in was a 100hp straight tail 150 taildragger. Twitchy little thing, but responsive and fun to fly.

Maybe check in with The Landing Gear Works in Renton, WA. Tailwheel Tom is sorta the authority on Cessna gear.

I used to own a C150/150 taildragger.
People like to call every C150TD a "texas taildragger",
but mine was converted using that stc,
it also had their long range fuel (40 gallon) mod as well as the 150hp mod.
Pretty sure that mine had the gear legs that were available along with the stc.
I can't recall the stc number but I believe DelAir in Porterville CA owns it now.
I don't think they are marketing or even suppoorting the stc nowadays,
but they might be able to pass along some pertinent info.

Dunno where you are located,
but I second stewarts suggestion to call Tom Anderson at TLGW in Renton WA.

I owned a c-140 once upon a time and connected with David Lowe. He was active in the types user group. That was a real nice STC!!!

Getting the fastback straight tail 150 going. I need to re arch the mains... any recommendations?
What's it cost and how long does it last? We're doing the engine now.
Is this an initial re arch or did they sag and you are putting them back to where they were? If they sagged on their own, I would wonder why.

If this is an initial re arch, what are the STC holders recommendations? Where do they recommend it be done?

Last owners put it back to trike. The airframe has tons of hours. They're just very sagged so I believe a re-arch is the best course of action.

Is this an initial re arch or did they sag and you are putting them back to where they were? If they sagged on their own, I would wonder why. If this is an initial re arch, what are the STC holders recommendations? Where do they recommend it be done?

The Tx Taildragger STC was marketed by Custom Aircraft Conversions, then Aircraft Conversion Technologies, then finally was purchased by DelAir.
I don't have the original ACT brochure anymore, I included it with the rest of the paperwork when I sold my 150TD 9 years ago,
but I recall they recommended using their special gear legs as the stock legs made the converted airplane too squatty.

Again, I would recommend giving Tom Anderson at TLGW a call.

I've had this plane for several years. It's currently a trike. I've known about Lowe, del air, and custom air for a long, long time.
As mentioned in previous threads I'm only interested in re-arching right now as I'm not going back to taildragger configuration for
at least 200 hours. When I do I'll be eliminating the Texas conversion for the lowe conversion which, yes I already know utilizes 140 gear.
I know this stuff, what I didn't know was who to call for the gear o/h. I've contacted tlgw... no response, I'll try again. I'm hoping there
is another option out there for re working my gear, if there is and you know of anyone else, then please advise .
Thank you

Maybe find a set of 170 gear? Lots of 170 guys upgrade to 180 gear so there should be some around. Maybe not appropriate in trike configuration, though.

I didn't realize you were keeping it in the nosedragger configuration.
Seems like there's lots of trashed / derelict 150's around--
it might be easier to just try to find a set of replacement gear legs.

If your gear needs re arching, it would be wise to find another set of gear legs. Years ago a Cessna 195 was brought into a shop where I was working to be converted from military to civilian use. In the process of unloading it from the truck, one of the gear legs snapped off at the fuselage trapping a person under the fuselage. Fortunately he survived, but it was close. These legs don't last forever, particularly after being abused enough to change shape.

I think I agree with that. My Decathlon came with really flexible 2000-hr steel legs. I converted to aluminum, and feel quite a bit more secure. I really don’t know if they are stronger or last longer, but I know the guy who designed and manufactured them, and he is a better engineer than I am by a bunch.

Ya, I thought that for a minute... problem is I don't know if I'm buying a set in the same condition... that would be a dry hole

Ya, I thought that for a minute... problem is I don't know if I'm buying a set in the same condition... that would be a dry hole
Check around some of the salvage yards for airplanes with relatively low time.

If you keep your gear, get a good non destructive inspection such as magna flux or perhaps there are some other more sophisticated methods available today. Re arching it could further weaken an already weak section.

I know that bird dog gear will go under a 150TD and have seen some done with field approvals. I flew one not too long ago and it head great prop clearance was very forgiving on landings with the 31" ABW. If I had a 150TD I'd definitely be pursuing some bird dog gear for it.

There is nothing wrong with re-arching if done properly, which means annealing, straightening, re-forming, then re-heat treating and of course...NDT, as in Mag Particle Inspection.

The gear legs are most likely 6150 Carbon Steel and heat treated to either 150-170ksi, or 160-180 ksi. Since they've sagged in laymem terms...I'd call that "yielded" so to work harden them further, by over-bending in the opposite direction...simply put, you're risking real money, over chump change.

If it were me, I'd follow the advice of many and go to an approved, knowledgeable, reputable source...that's what you pay for in this game. Knowledge and skill.

(although maybe it'd work to drive a pickup over them, with the ends on a couple 4x4's till you're happy)

S.

Back