• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a javron with no plans

bamendala

What's it like building a javron with no set of plans? I ordered my kit about 13 months ago so it should be coming up in a few months and am wondering if I should fly back there and do the builders assist for a week, or are the northland drawings sufficient enough? I like following plans and am a little intimidated taking on a project without step by step instructions. I know there are a few forums on here about building a javron for dummies and have scrolled through them, but they really aren't like a set of plans. So for all you guys building right now or ones that have completed a javron, what's it like without plans?

Thank you
Brian

Builder assist can put you weeks/months ahead on the build. Not only from a core knowledge standpoint but proper tools and help really makes a difference.
DENNY

Builder assist can put you weeks/months ahead on the build. Not only from a core knowledge standpoint but proper tools and help really makes a difference.
DENNY

Thanks Denny I'm still planning on that for now. Still concerned about no plans when I get I home tho

I built a few of RC models, and put back together a bunch that got wreaked. If the tail feathers line up with the wings they fly fine. The rest doesn't matter ;- )

Glenn

I did the builder assist with Jay for a total of 3 weeks. He can typically only commit one week a month to you so that was spaced out over about 6 months. It was worth the time effort and money, I learned a lot and got way ahead. It will also give you a chance to see a lot of other builds in progress and you are certain to find and copy a few good ideas. There were several welded tabs and the like that I had added or moved while there. Jay is top notch and maybe the most knowledgeable person I’ve ever met when if comes to the design/construction of a supercub.

I would have preferred a manual too, but if I can learn to read the blueprints and figure it out then anyone can. The backcountry manual was helpful, L21 erection manual was also very helpful. My plane is not flying yet but will within a few months. Approximately 13 months after I received it at my hangar plus the 3 weeks with Jay.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I picked up my wide-body Javron in January (couldn't have been a worse time to drive from UT to MN and back pulling a 20 foot box I built on a 10 foot trailer (welded on a hitch extension, mounted taillights on the back of the box)).. squirrel..

A manual would helpful but is not 'necessary'. The bootleg (they don't allow access to the current one anymore but you probably knew that) Backcountry isn't a bad guide but theirs are not exact Super Cub replicas like the Javron so some things vary - but still good reference.

Seeing pictures on here is great - I wish guys would post more - says the guy that has posted none. But I will - my fuselage is not the one I ordered so I have 80 hours logged but I had to take apart everything that was done (floorboards, brake pedals, seats, etc) so I could weld all the doodads I wanted in. I am just now (almost) back to the starting point and put the cargo floor back in. I think with so many of us building Javron kits along with the project threads already on here, no manual will be fine.

Jays 'hardware kits' are very organized with everything needed for that task in the same little bin and labeled. Most of the parts are pretty easy to identify and figure out where they go but some of the aluminum, if you get the interior can be a head scratcher - I remember Sam (Javron for Dummies) mentioning that too during inventory.

Of course all the posts and pics from the certified guys are awesome. That link (I can't find it now, I suck at searching the site) that Steve Pierce posted on the super screwed up cub was a good example of what not to do - nice that he put comments on each photo explaining what was wrong.

The builder assist is great I am sure - obviously from the posts above.

I think with all the help we have available here no official manual isn't a problem - on the other hand I do wish/hope he makes one some day.

@Brian - just peeked at your profile - Did you build the Murphy Rebel? I built a Murphy Moose back in the mid 1990's with the M14P. The Murphy manual was like the Pirates Code also - more guidelines it seemed. :)

Last edited:
You guys should start a Javron Facebook page like the Rans S21 guys. I don't have a kit yet . Certified aircraft people can add input. Everyone can post ideas and pictures easily.

Just do a search of whatever you have a question about. If it is not covered in one of the Javron post builds it will be covered on a certified cub or other experimental. The good thing about a Javron cub is it is basically a clone of a stock cub. Most every topic/question/mod has been covered several times on this forum already.
DENNY

I picked up my wide-body Javron in January (couldn't have been a worse time to drive from UT to MN and back pulling a 20 foot box I built on a 10 foot trailer (welded on a hitch extension, mounted taillights on the back of the box)).. squirrel..

A manual would helpful but is not 'necessary'. The bootleg (they don't allow access to the current one anymore but you probably knew that) Backcountry isn't a bad guide but theirs are not exact Super Cub replicas like the Javron so some things vary - but still good reference.

Seeing pictures on here is great - I wish guys would post more - says the guy that has posted none. But I will - my fuselage is not the one I ordered so I have 80 hours logged but I had to take apart everything that was done (floorboards, brake pedals, seats, etc) so I could weld all the doodads I wanted in. I am just now (almost) back to the starting point and put the cargo floor back in. I think with so many of us building Javron kits along with the project threads already on here, no manual will be fine.

Jays 'hardware kits' are very organized with everything needed for that task in the same little bin and labeled. Most of the parts are pretty easy to identify and figure out where they go but some of the aluminum, if you get the interior can be a head scratcher - I remember Sam (Javron for Dummies) mentioning that too during inventory.

Of course all the posts and pics from the certified guys are awesome. That link (I can't find it now, I suck at searching the site) that Steve Pierce posted on the super screwed up cub was a good example of what not to do - nice that he put comments on each photo explaining what was wrong.

The builder assist is great I am sure - obviously from the posts above.

I think with all the help we have available here no official manual isn't a problem - on the other hand I do wish/hope he makes one some day.

Scott A I think you're right there definitely seem to be enough builders right now going with the javron so hopefully we can all fumble through it together! And yeah I built the rebel in 2000. And you're not wrong about that manual, the verbiage was all over the place! Thank God for pictures! And their customer service was off the charts good back then. I see your point tho.. if we could build with that manual then we can probably build without one! :lol:

Personally, I don't do FB. Never have, never will.
SC.org site has an amazing amount of info. I have spent hours searching and coming up with great answers.

There is, and always will be, others with different ideas or methods.

Some you will see as great ideas for them, some may be great for you, and some you will question having any validity. But choosing to not look and experience the information may hinder your ability to explore the envelope.

There are many, many smart and innovative builders in the world. I enjoy discovering the ingenuity and creativity others provide.

Each medium provides its own pipeline.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes there is so much knowledge here that this seems the place to go for answers but there may be a place for Javron specific info. I just looked and I've posted twice on FB in the past two years - both time just saying thanks for the Birthday wishes.. lol. But I do have a few groups I look at now and then. It may be easier for some things. I started a group and we can see where it goes.
Title is Javron Super Cub - Building and flying. Or this link. I made it private so you have to request, if someone else wants to take over as admin. that is fine too.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/141472808549615/

Nice ScottA! I was hoping someone else would start it lol! I agree let's see where it goes. This will probably still be the go to site but having a javron specific site might be cool too. And posting pics will be easier so now you can post a few :lol:

Okay the FB Javron Super Cub group was short lived, Farmboy feel free to start it up again (since we were the only two members LOL) - I just instantly had regrets and remembered why I stopped being an admin on a few other groups and have only posted on FB twice in the past two years. I still think it is not a bad idea but someone else will need to take the lead on that if they desire.

Sorry I have messed this all up.. haha. Also I just tried to post a question with pics here and it just hangs when I try to to do the upload - guess I have to host the pic and link but that is a pain. I'm on a macbook maybe try my PC
Nice ScottA! I was hoping someone else would start it lol! I agree let's see where it goes. This will probably still be the go to site but having a javron specific site might be cool too. And posting pics will be easier so now you can post a few :lol:

Brian,

You should find a Steve Pierce in your area and pay for a few hours of his time. It will pay dividends and will be far superior to any manual.

Andrew.

Brian,

You should find a Steve Pierce in your area and pay for a few hours of his time. It will pay dividends and will be far superior to any manual.

Andrew.

That's a good call Andrew, Anyone around the olympia washington area that has built a javron?!

Some builders do very nice jobs without ever participating in any online venue. Some of them have the knowledge, some of them quietly find it online and off. And some just work through it.

Jake Mahoney is doing a nice job on his.

https://youtu.be/0GdQv-r0FDs

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Nice video, that kind of stuff is great for seeing what others are doing. Thanks for posting - he needs to walk slower :)
Some builders do very nice jobs without ever participating in any online venue. Some of them have the knowledge, some of them quietly find it online and off. And some just work through it.

Jake Mahoney is doing a nice job on his.

https://youtu.be/0GdQv-r0FDs

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Back