• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Should I upgrade my ELT to 406 mhz?

I misunderstood and assumed "RCC isn't listening" was a local reference to Alaska RCC. The following map of US RCC areas may be of interest:

Attachments

• USA RCC Areas.PNG
    USA RCC Areas.PNG
    274.9 KB · Views: 66
I don't have the luxury of operating in an area that has good cell phone coverage, as some do. And I will put out the best advice I can for the installation of safety equipment. It's my job. Is a 406 ELT the be all/end all for rescue commo? Of course not. Rescue commo needs to be a layered approach. An ELT (required by regs), a PLB worn on the person, and a cell phone (if even viable in your area) or sat phone would be a good battery of equipment.

-ELTs are REQUIRED equipment as per FAR 91.207. There are some very slim exceptions but for almost all of us here, it's required. A properly installed ELT will activate upon an aircraft crash and operates whether the souls on board are unconscious or unalive.
-A PLB worn on the body is a great addition to the ELT. They operate on the same 406 mhz system as the ELT and have the advantage of being attached to a (hopefully) live body. That means you can turn it on/off and the signal will follow you if you need to relocate from the crash site. Some have features such as messaging that can be helpful.
-Voice commo. If you have the luxury of flying where there is good cell phone coverage, I won't need to tell you to keep your phone on your person and fully charged as you already do this. If you fly into or are planning to fly into actual remote locations, consider carrying a sat phone. Being able to call for or direct help into the crash site can be invaluable. Think about life threatening injuries to a passenger and being able to describe those injuries to medical personnel who then give the proper medical equipment to the rescuers for the FIRST trip into the crash site.

Are there limits to each of these systems? Yes, that's why we have redundant systems in aviation. But consider: For anyone arguing whether an ELT is 'worth it', I point out the requirements of FAR 91.207 and my statement 'properly installed'. Also, after 21June95, 121.5 mhz ELTs became illegal for new installs. That means that for nearly 28 years all new installations were required, by law, to be 406 mhz ELTs. The reason for retiring 121.5 ELTs? SARSAT stopped monitoring 121.5 mhz. If you did not know what SARSAT is, it's the umbrella organization that oversees rescue operations for North America, specifically the U.S, land, sea, or air. If you currently have a 121.5 ELT, remember that while technically not illegal, you've had 28 years to get rid of it and SARSAT isn't listening for it anyways. If a local entity even monitors 121.5 mhz anymore it's most likely used to tell people that their ELT is activated in the tie down area. Their main bad point? They have limited range. Even more limited in hilly or canyon terrain.

If you are a new operator or uneducated on rescue ops, consider whether you want one of your primary rescue signals to be an old frequency with limited usefulness or a properly installed ELT which has the ability to ping a satellite belonging to the primary rescue coordination center for your area? Please opt for the best equipment for the job. Believing lines such as 'I think I have shown that 121.5 is monitored and I think it is quite likely that a 121.5 beacon signal will be reported' can get you killed.

Web

I installed an ACK 406 and wired it to an existing GPS with known good reception. You can hook up an LED and see it flash each time the data word containing the position is transferred, which is more than once per minute, so if the wire is severed, the word isn't too far out of date. It has a precrash switch and after a hard landing the phone was ringing as I was shutting down. I would think everything has a solid state multi-axis accelerometer by now(about 2 bucks) for reliability and consistent thresholds of activation. the high number of hard landing triggers tells me it's likely there's some overlap between hard landings and accidents.

I monitor 121.5 anytime I’m not in ATC airspace or in the vicinity of an airport CTAF…I enjoy all the barking dogs and cat sounds, with the occasional “GUARD!!!!” thrown in for good measure. ��

I think flying without a 406 ELT is irresponsible. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for those looking for you or waiting for you to get home. I was part of a search for a family member for 3 days. 40 mile well known flight path over flat terrain. Close to 100 planes took part in the search. The plane was found burned at the end of a 500 ft swath through trees with a big burn section at the end. The grid had been searched twice and someone just happened to see it when flying over on their way to get fuel. The 121.5 ELT burned up. A 406 would have been far more likely to have sent a signal out before and had the coordinates in it saving anguish, days and many people from flying for three days. Sure a PLB or an inreach should also be used but you have to be conscious to trigger them. If you can afford a plane you can afford the equipment to aid yourself and rescuers and in worse case scenario get the life insurance process started sooner. Don't care to have the cavalry come sooner as you hang upside down in a tree? Ok then do it for your husband/wife/parents/kids and or friends. Waiting for news REALLY sucks.

initially the cost of the 406 was pretty steep, but they have come down in price to the point where its just dumb to not have one. Same for the inreach or some other PLB to have on your person in areas that don't have REALLY good cell coverage. Just because you have good cell signal in the air as you are flying, does not mean you will have jack Shmitt when you are laying in the bottom of a canyon.

I have been involved in a few rescues/searches for overdue family members or buddies, and it would have been really damn nice if they would have had an alternate means of communication to 1) tell us where they were and 2) tell us what they needed us to bring in order to get them out the first time (gear leg, prop etc). A few times we flew in some pretty marginal weather trying to locate the missing party that was not really necessary and was probably a bad call on our part as we could have ended up in a bad place as well.

Secondly, have at least minimal survival gear with you at all times. Even a cheap walmart tent can make your unscheduled stop a lot more pleasant. The money we spend on our hobbies and passions makes it pretty dumb to not have the best survival gear we can afford and KEEP it in the plane, boat, ATV etc. I have pretty extensive first aid kits and basic survival items in all my toys. 1 trip with no easy way to make fire when you need it and you will think twice before leaving without it again.

Any suggestions as to the most cost-effective 406 elt's?
ACK-04 elt and batteries seem to be slightly cheaper than the others. Does not include an internal GPS.

I hooked mine up to a Garmin 496 - works fine. I've had it for about 10 years with no problems. The mount seems a little wimpy, so you may want to beef it up with a strap or something.

I am always amazed at the number of pilots who fail to comply with NOTAMs... for years it has been mandatory to listen to 121.5 when able.....

!FDC 4/4386 SPECIAL NOTICE
NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0. IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE.
WIE UNTIL UFN
!FDC 6/8818 FDC ...SPECIAL NOTICE...IN THE INTEREST OF NATIONAL
SECURITY AND TO THE EXTENT PRACTICABLE, PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS
ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN CLOSE
PROXIMITY TO CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE AND OTHER SENSITIVE
LOCATIONS SUCH AS POWER PLANTS (NUCLEAR, HYDRO-ELECTRIC, OR
COAL), DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY
FACILITIES, CORRECTIONAL AND LAW ENFORCEMENT FACILITIES UNLESS
OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED. PILOTS AND UAS OPERATORS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE
AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OVER THESE TYPES OF FACILITIES.
1603231538-PERM

Currently the ACK E-04 is around $100 less than the ACR ELT345. They meet the same TSO. Last I looked the ACK 6-year battery was less expensive, too. I find the decision pretty simple.

...My go to is the Artex ELT-345.

From the Spruce website page on this elt:

Built-in GPS Navigational Interface (NMEA 0183 or RS 232)

So I guess no internal GPS.
Which would be the go-to if you wanted it to have the gps built-in?

From the Spruce website page on this elt:

Built-in GPS Navigational Interface (NMEA 0183 or RS 232)

So I guess no internal GPS.
Which would be the go-to if you wanted it to have the gps built-in?
From the horse's mouth.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/elt-345-transmitter/
" The ARTEX ELT 345 transmits on 406 MHz and 121.5 MHz frequencies while providing positon accuracy thanks to the built-in GPS navigational interface. "

From the horse's mouth.

" The ARTEX ELT 345 transmits on 406 MHz and 121.5 MHz frequencies while providing positon accuracy thanks to the built-in GPS navigational interface. "

There is huge difference between having a built in GPS INTERFACE and having a built in GPS RECEIVER. The interface depends on an external GPS. The internal GPS receiver only needs a clear view of the sky.

Some 406 ELT have an NMEA-183 interface and an internal GPS. Some have interface capability only. There may be some 406 ELT with no interface and no internal GPS receiver but I don't know of any.

Another factor to consider is that an internal receiver may not be powered until the ELT is activated. It will take some time to acquire a signal and get a position fix.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that ACK E-04 has provision for a GPS interface and it can keep that GPS interface alive with ships power. That should mean the GPS position is internally buffered and is available if the exernal GPS connection is severed in a crash.

FYI, a few years ago there was a company called “Emergency Lifesaving Technologies” (abbreviate the company name, get it?) that offered an ELT with on board GPS integrated with the ELT and antenna. That unit was expensive and I was never sure how battery life and gps would play. I much preferred a connected GPS providing updated location data constantly.

In any case, I did a search and can’t find that company’s web site now, so don’t know if they’re still around.

But in any case, I’ve used ACK 406 beacons for some time now, they easily connect to a portable or panel mount GPS, and they work. And they’re about the best price.

MTV

Unlike most here, I routinely open up ELTs and do the 91.207 inspections. This is why I recommend the Artex products. I've observed that the internal quality of the circuit boards and general assembly is better than the others. In my book, this is more important than price. Also keep in mind that some brands like Skyhunter and Kannad require that the unit be sent to a designated repair station for battery replacement. Compare this to you handing me one of the other brands and I can inspect it and replace the battery in about 30 minutes.

Whatever unit you install, be sure to read ALL of the details before you buy. And remember that 406 mhz ELTs are still subject to annual inspections as per FAR 91.207.

Web

From the horse's mouth.

That is correct that they have a GPS interface. The interface is just a couple of wires that allow RS232 data to be input to the ELT from almost any GPS, whether panel mount or portable. I've come up with a diagram for the -345 harness that is so simplified that all you have to do is tell me the total length you want from ELT to the panel switch. At the connector for the panel switch, I stub out a small connector that allows the owner to plug in the RS232 data lines from his existing GPS.

Web

When deciding on an ELT, initial cost, battery cost and life, ease of installation, and requirement for special test equipment should all be part of the equation. Lots of the 406 units require special test box or jumper to do the annual 91.207 test. That will add cost as not all IAs will have that equipment. The ACK E-04 seems to be about the most cost effective and doesn’t require any special equipment to test (in the USA). Don’t forget that you have 3 batteries to track, the main battery, the PX28L in the remote and the CR2 in the audio alert box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI, a few years ago there was a company called “Emergency Lifesaving Technologies” (abbreviate the company name, get it?) that offered an ELT with on board GPS integrated with the ELT and antenna. That unit was expensive and I was never sure how battery life and gps would play. I much preferred a connected GPS providing updated location data constantly.

In any case, I did a search and can’t find that company’s web site now, so don’t know if they’re still around.

But in any case, I’ve used ACK 406 beacons for some time now, they easily connect to a portable or panel mount GPS, and they work. And they’re about the best price.

MTV

Googled it and their web site came right up. https://www.eltechnolgies.com/

Googled it and their web site came right up. https://www.eltechnolgies.com/

An intesting restriction is included in the installation manual for that unit -

"Emerging Lifesaving Technologies 406 ELT with GPS can be activated while still in the air but is currently prohibited by Cospas/Sarsat. After the system is activated the data is only updated each 5 minutes per Cospas/Sarsat requirements. In 5 minutes you can be miles from you initial activation point and reduce the capabilities of SAR"

The manual is dated 2016 so the restriction may not be current. I think it is generally assumed that activating a bit before the crash is a good idea.

I also noted that this ELT has no 121.5 MHz output.

The designers were smart enough to provide ship's power so the internal GPS has a valid position when the ELT is crash activated.

When deciding on an ELT, initial cost, battery cost and life, ease of installation, and requirement for special test equipment should all be part of the equation. Lots of the 406 units require special test box or jumper to do the annual 91.207 test. That will add cost as not all IAs will have that equipment. The ACK E-04 seems to be about the most cost effective and doesn’t require any special equipment to test (in the USA). Don’t forget that you have 3 batteries to track, the main battery, the PX28L in the remote and the CR2 in the audio alert box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's part of this ELT fight. All ELTs are still subject to the inspection requirements of 91.207.

(1) Proper installation;
(2) Battery corrosion;
(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and
(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

With the programmed codes present in the signal of a 406 ELT, I like to add 'checking for proper codes' in 91.207, (4). If you believe that any built in test function meets all these requirements, then, if challenged, where is the proof? Where is the measurement of signal power? And if the ELT is programmed incorrectly (country code, N number, etc) how do you know. It's very common to find incorrect country codes on newer aircraft and incorrect codes on aircraft recently bought/sold.

But If the ELT is tested on the correct equipment, all codes read out for verification, signal strength is measured (406, 243, and 121.5 mhz), and the time elapsed on battery usage is read out.

Web

(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

The regulation does not define a required field strength or a distance at which the field strength should be measured.

A test that has been considered acceptable for many years is to listen for a detectable signal using a separate VHF COMS receiver. The regulations impose no new requirements for 406 MHz ELT.

I don't fault anyone for asking for a comprehensive signal evaluation using expensive calibrated test equipment. However, they should understand that it's not required by 14 CFR 91.207.

The regulation does not define a required field strength or a distance at which the field strength should be measured.

A test that has been considered acceptable for many years is to listen for a detectable signal using a separate VHF COMS receiver. The regulations impose no new requirements for 406 MHz ELT.

I don't fault anyone for asking for a comprehensive signal evaluation using expensive calibrated test equipment. However, they should understand that it's not required by 14 CFR 91.207.

All manufacturers have a minimum signal strength spec for both 121.5 and 406 signals.

The squak test where a 121.5mhz signal is checked by using an AM radio, tuned of channel, was never codified but was considered acceptable. It was acceptable simply because a 121.5 signal would bleed over onto an AM radio only if it is above a minimum strength level. 406 mhz signals DO NOT bleed over onto an AM radio so that test is not applicable.

The use of test equipment may not be specified, but if you cannot meet the requirements of an FAR without, then it goes without saying that it is needed.

Web

Back