• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

National STOL Change Up Classes

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Interesting to read the class changes made by National STOL. I know Tom Fannary, one the owners/organizers, had been crunching the numbers from the previous years of competition and I guess this is a result. https://nationalstol.com/therules/?...kMyXnIkZi4sl8aB6LvusOyqrC7zZ9mvGeg3TWJCgP62D4 I guess the Huskies don't have to worry about us Super Cubs anymore but will be interesting to see how the 170s fair. I'm not to happy about competing against Super Legends and EX and FX Carbon Cubs. Being a certified Super Cub has been kinda a niche for me. Trying to compete against all these experimentals makes it kinda hard to stay legal and competitive.

Yeah, it’s going to be tough on the certified guys and gals. I’m thinking it should have stayed two classes, certified or experimental.

1A3DBD80-11AE-4FCA-A233-3D89BB691E8D.png
On a brighter note, the new competition at Isle ,MN IN July should be a hoot. I have a soft spot for Isle, as I had my first paid flying job working for Dick Huff and Moon Wolf Air Service flying fire patrol for the DNR. Make your reservations early for fishing on Mille Lacs Lake and head to Brainerd to visit Javeron Cub.

Attachments

• 1A3DBD80-11AE-4FCA-A233-3D89BB691E8D.png
    1A3DBD80-11AE-4FCA-A233-3D89BB691E8D.png
    675.2 KB · Views: 139
I guess it is really all about the show... and the sponsors...

sj

Looks like they lost Husky/Aviat so will be interesting to see. You have to have airplanes for the show.

About the time a certified guy can get the “good parts” legal one way or another, it doesn’t matter! Wonder if Ed Doyle would let me borrow his slats?;-)

We always said Austin's Dad should buy him a better Bush plane to compete in. Maybe he just had them change the rules instead. ;) :lol:

But the way I’m reading the bush class..
“If not listed: other FAA certificated ASEL models as determined by gross weight from 1,321 to 2,300 lbs.”

As long as your outlaw parts are field approved..

And the adventure class when you crank up the redline on your certified planes

“If not listed: other FAA certificated ASEL as Experimental with a gross weight above 1,320 lbs.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Prax pretty much sums it up in this FB thread. But what does Joe know;-)…….

88962BB5-88AF-45DF-863F-9700DDAE6145.jpeg

Attachments

• 88962BB5-88AF-45DF-863F-9700DDAE6145.jpeg
    88962BB5-88AF-45DF-863F-9700DDAE6145.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 95
Interesting that their specified models in a few cases don’t match the “other models not listed” criteria. For example, the Cessna 175 has a GW of 2350, yet they have it in the “Bush” class, not the “Touring”. And that’s just one example.

Looks like there’ll be a whole lotta whining going on….:lol:

MTV

Hopefully there is a version 2 coming out that will clean up a lot of the overlap/typos within the classes. I think they'll run most of the certified guys out of the Adventure class and it will be the same number of people there are currently with all experimentals. The idea/argument of more planes competing within a class to make it more competitive thus goes away.

I still want to do a contest where everybody flies the same airplane.

sj

“The Big Johnson Invitational”……takes place around July in NW Arkansas with identical A65 J-3s.

Per the attachment in post #2, C150/152's will be competing against 180/185's etc in the touring class.
That seems fair.....

Per the attachment in post #2, C150/152's will be competing against 180/185's etc in the touring class.
That seems fair.....

I was going to question that online but then thought about it more. There's a chance that a light 150/152 has the same TO/LD distances as a 180.... Totally different application, but perhaps? Maybe someone with more experience in both can quantify.

Regarding all the class changes I probably posted too many questions on FB regarding it, but without seeing the data, sure seems like some odd groupings.

I’d like to see each competitor operate their airplane at gross weight, the way we all run these things…

Z.

I’d like to see each competitor operate their airplane at gross weight, the way we all run these things….

Well not all of us. The only aircraft I have operated near gross are parachute jump planes and racing sailplanes. In both cases the ballast was disposable and usually gone before landing.

I’d like to see each competitor operate their airplane at gross weight, the way we all run these things…

Z.

Seems like this idea has been hashed out over and over again;) Heck, I’m all for it if half the day wasn’t spent weighing airplanes and loading shot bags.

My opinion is that it won’t change the placing in the classes that much. The reason the same guys always seem to win is because they fly more, practice more and want it more. Change it to heavy airplanes and those same guys will be the ones to take the time to load sand bags and beat up the patch if they aren’t working a heavy airplane day in/day out.

My gutless 150hp cub would sure suffer but I’d be willing to spend more time than most to find an angle to get back a few more feet.

Back