• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine paint

Mr. Ed

PNW
My engine came unpainted and I’m looking for paint type suggestions. Engine is a Titan, so looks like a Lycoming. Not really interested in Lycoming gray. I’ve seen engine shops that advertise any color you want so there must be suitable paints available. Looking at Spruce, most engine paints come in three colors, grey, gold and black. One supplier has a variety of colors but not exactly what I’m looking for.

I see high temperature engine paint for sale on the “interweb”. Some says up to 380* and some says 500*. Considering CHT’s may hit 400*+ I would think the 500* stuff would be the better option. The only high temp paint experience I have is painting a grill and a pellet stove. Grill stuff didn’t last but the pellet stove did. Pellet stove lived inside so didn’t suffer the elements like the grill did.

If anybody has had luck (longevity) with a particular type of paint I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

That was my -12. I chose a close match to Lycoming gray. Lycoming painted my current engine black. Both look good.

I would think a light color.........white, tan, light gray, etc. would be beneficial to see cracks or oil leaks earlier.

Back