• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question about cylinder drain tubes

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Hi guy’s, I’ve run across a O-320 narrow deck engine. The drain lines were leaking and found one tube over tightened and the flare at the cylinder fitting had been cut off. The tube looked very cobbed up also. So I took one off a parts engine and it didn’t fit by at least a inch of line ing up. I tried one off a old O-235 I have and it was closer but not right. The data plate said it’s a O-320 A2B but the parts don’t fit. Any ideas, first time I’ve run across this one.

My question is why don’t the factory tube fit. I have tubes that are the right ones that fit another narrow deck engine and not even close on this one. Did they make cases with different locations for the return lines? Wondering if the 290’s are different and is it possible to mod a case to take 320 parts and cylinders on a 290 case

I don't know the details of your engine but the O-360-A has 4 different part numbers for the 4 drain tubes. 3 and 4 are the same part number on some variants but not on all variants.

Are you attempting to swap between same cylinder numbers of the same dash number engine?

Edit - there appear to be only 3 different part numbers, not 4.

Attachments

• O-360 drain tubes.PNG
    O-360 drain tubes.PNG
    142.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I’m just going to make a new tube that fits right, it’s the #4 cylinder so only one part # for it.

I’m just going to make a new tube that fits right, it’s the #4 cylinder so only one part # for it.
They’re relatively simple tubes. I wish Lycoming and Continental for that matter had a more user friendly parts catalog. A parts guy in a decent sized FBO is worth every penny you pay him.

I wish Lycoming and Continental for that matter had a more user friendly parts catalog.

I have the O-360-A engine parts catalog and the PA-28 parts catalog in PDF. I usually find it easy enough to find a part number with basic or advanced search functions of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I would not attempt to find any information in a paper catalog if PDF was available.

Thanks FF, but this is a O-320 engine. Just a little different. There were so many variations of it.

Attachments

• O-320 drain tubes.PNG
    O-320 drain tubes.PNG
    142.4 KB · Views: 39
Back