• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mac Airplane Covers?

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
I want to get an engine cover for my PA-18. Primary reason is more efficient pre-heating. I am in central Oregon so we are not dealing with extreme cold here. Right now I just throw a drop light under the cowling with moving blankets but I'm sure it loses alot of heat- and my oil temp is typically 47F when I turn it on which I would love to get up to 70 (maybe need an EZ heat pad.) I may throw the cover in baggage if I go flying on a cold day and park it for a few hours. (cold for us here is 20F which I realize is tropical by some of your standards I'm sure.)

Looked at Bruce covers- they seem very well made and very expensive. ($460 no insulation, $520 insulated.) Probably overkill for a hangared airplane?

Mac Airplane covers have some good reviews- and it's $270. Need to find out if it's insulated.

Probably will just go with Mac unless someone gives me a compelling reason to do otherwise. I don't mind paying for quality- but if a $270 cover will fit the mission and hold up I don't want to overspend.

I have a Mac’s cover and love it. It is insulated and does exactly what you described. I’ve had it a few years and it seems to be wearing well. This isn’t anything against the other covers as I haven’t owned any of them. Good luck with your decision.

Call these folks: https://alaskawingcovers.com/aircraft-engine-covers/

my preference for something like a Cub is a FAIRLY lightweight insulated engine cover. The reason being, unless you’re in true Arctic conditions, you really don’t need a monster cover. And a relatively compact cover bundles up nice and tight to fit in the baggage. I had a lightweight insulated cover for a Husky that spent a fair bit of time outside (plugged in) with that lightweight cover on, and never wanted A heavier cover.

Park outdoors for an hour or two at -20 or colder, and engine was still warm.

MTV

I use a Mac’s cover all the time in the winter. Best $270 you can spend. Anytime it gets in the 40s and under I’ll throw it on, put a little heat under it and it makes propping a lot easier. They are a little bulky but if you take your time they will stuff down small enough. No complaints and it doesn’t really matter what exhaust you have. I’ve used the cowl cover on both Sutton and Atlee.

Plus one for Macs…cheap price…great cover… very well made.
84494F9C-9370-4179-B8B5-1069153003AF.jpgI’m
4D4E70DA-CC03-4378-BCF1-E6393EAD0E43.jpg

Attachments

• 84494F9C-9370-4179-B8B5-1069153003AF.jpg
    84494F9C-9370-4179-B8B5-1069153003AF.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 4D4E70DA-CC03-4378-BCF1-E6393EAD0E43.jpg
    4D4E70DA-CC03-4378-BCF1-E6393EAD0E43.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 91
I have used a Mac cover for ten years. No complaints and the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Another thumbs up for Mac's covers. I bought one for my -12 last year and it is excellent. Great insulation and excellent service. Just a small operation in Michigan and it works great for pre-heating in an unheated hangar in far northern Minnesota. Don't hesitate.

Old blanket and cowl plugs and my oil temp is 100 degrees overnight with a sump heater. I thought about an engine cover but I don't stay out in the cold long.

Steve, come on up Tom has a cover that fits a red and white cub just wasting about while ski conditions just get better and better.

Keys are in the cub and it’s on skis. I can turn the heater on from here. I don’t think Steve is going to come up. Too much snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... Right now I just throw a drop light under the cowling.....

What kind of bulb do you have in that drop light?
I used to do the same thing with my last two airplanes,
using a 125W heat lamp bulb. Worked great.
Unfortunately, between the airbox & the dual exhaust all being in the way,
it doesn't work too well up through the cowl flaps on my 180.

Besides heat lamp bulbs,

Shatter Resistant - 125W - BR40 - PLT 125BR40IRTC | 1000Bulbs.com

nowadays there are also small heater elements that screw into light sockets.

Amazon.com : Simple Deluxe 150W 2-Pack Ceramic Heat Emitter Reptile Heat Lamp Bulb No Light Emitting Brooder Coop Heater for Amphibian Pet & Incubating Chicken : Pet Supplies

What kind of bulb do you have in that drop light?
[/URL]

I can only find drop lights rated to 75w. Checked at local home depot and ace. I dont want to overload and leave it sitting in my plane.

What light receptacle is everyone using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having a regular bulb blow up I went to the rubber coated ones. The regular slipped its mount and hit the lower cowl overnight and burst. No damage but lesson learned. Back then 1970's we could get them in 100 and 150W with metal caged receptacles on a drop cord.

Gary

After having a regular bulb blow up I went to the rubber coated ones. The regular slipped its mount and hit the lower cowl overnight and burst. No damage but lesson learned. Back then 1970's we could get them in 100 and 150W with metal caged receptacles on a drop cord.

Gary

Still can

Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2337890752...7yZRPRPTGG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

NAPA

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...dyZXT-NlCBS4vNYKa0aAqtfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&

HD.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3253255904...7yZRPRPTGG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE

Glenn

Last edited:
Doesn't everyone have one of these. Your not a man unless you have burned yourself under a car working with one.
PXL_20230125_222802849.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230125_222802849.jpg
    PXL_20230125_222802849.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 35
Back