• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub lower door hinges

elyav

Any upgrade solution to lower door hinge on Supercub. Owner is larger guy and I've replaced the rear hinge several times but when entering or exiting requires sitting on the sill and the hinge bends and after a short while it breaks welding in new one requires fabric work. any solutions?

Any upgrade solution to lower door hinge on Supercub. Owner is larger guy and I've replaced the rear hinge several times but when entering or exiting requires sitting on the sill and the hinge bends and after a short while it breaks welding in new one requires fabric work. any solutions?

I know it may be blasphemy but...

How about welding the bottom half (of the door) to the top half and then flipping the whole thing up to open? Gets rid of that gap in the middle, improves weather seal to the cockpit, cuts intricacy in half. I may be the only guy here like this but that two piece door just never made sense to me.

PLEASE NOTE - I did not intend to offend the purists among us. It's just an idea!

How about welding the bottom half (of the door) to the top half and then flipping the whole thing up to open? Gets rid of that gap in the middle, improves weather seal to the cockpit, cuts intricacy in half. I may be the only guy here like this but that two piece door just never made sense to me.

PLEASE NOTE - I did not intend to offend the purists among us. It's just an idea!

Makes it harder to shoot things....just sayin.

MTV

With split doors, you have the option of flying with just the top half open.

You could make a slide board out of carbon fiber that sits o the the door frame tubing, wraps over the bottom of the door frame and the other end sits on the seat. Kind of like what a wheelchair bound person uses to transfer from the chair to the car seat. Yeah, it’s just more stuff to carry around and get in the way but it would be cheaper and easier than cutting fabric and welding new hinges in.

I am 200# and have been for most of the last 60 years and 6000 hours in my J3. Door hinge is still ok - cannot get in without sitting on the door frame if I get in from in front of the struts.

Could it be that his left hand goes for the door instead of the much thicker door frame tube?

Back