• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Firewall

Gordon Misch

Toledo, Wa (KTDO)
Would someone have a drawing for PA-12 firewall? We need to fabricate one for our Exp -12 build. Thanks!

Edit: I know this has come up before with the hope that -14 and -12 firewalls are the same, but my -12 firewall (certified plane) is about 4" narrower than the -14 drawing shows. So - any help would be much appreciated.

If somebody might have a -12 boot cowl off of the airplane, a tracing would also be very good.

Thanks - -

Last edited:
Hi Gordon, I have a new boot cowl in a crate. I have to get to it , but will give it a shot. When I find it I’ll trace it and send it to you. Tom

Big Thank You to Wayne - he's sending a tracing. Once we get that digitized I'll make the file available.

Also, to Tom - - Yes, I think two tracings would be ideal to average out any differences. My email is gordon.misch@gmail.com to work out the mailing cost.

We can digitize both tracings, superimpose them, and decide on a "best fit".

Thanks to all of you guys. I really appreciate the offers!

Found it and will trace it in the morning. No power in the hangar so need daylight. I also have the original that can me on my 12 but it’s banged up quite a bit.

Excellent, thanks!

Edit: Flybynight Wayne taught me how to generate a USPS prepaid shipping label as a .pdf file. So if I can follow instructions adequately I can do the same with you.

The guys on this site are the best.

Yes, thank you. We're aiming for titanium, if able. I appreciate the heads-up. We have digitization and water jet available, so are leaning in that direction. We'll most likely finalize all the holes with a lexan prototype then digitize all that and cut out a finished product.

Atlee Dodge sells a PA-12 titanium firewall for $1,000.

From their website: "Our Titanium Firewalls are built to order using your old firewall as a template for correct opening locations. A flange is formed around the edges to stiffen the firewall and allow for easier boot cowl fabrication."

Thanks. AD used to sell complete firewall / boot cowl, but no longer. They told me there were too many issues with boot cowl fit-up.

Many thanks for the guys here who sent me tracings. Now I have a dxf drawing from measuring coordinates off of those tracings. I'd be happy to share it with anyone who needs it. Steve Furjesi will water-jet cut a prototype from Lexan, then the finished part frpm titanium after all the penetrations are finalized and digitized.

Gordon, I found it helpful to mount the engine without the firewall. Then I got a better picture of just where the holes ought to be. Sometimes it became apparent that the hole should be "here" instead of just a little bit over "there". The push/pull controls need a relaxing gentle curve for best operation. Sometimes it became apparent the curve in the control should be behind the firewall instead of in front making the hole several inches away from where I had thought it ought to be. If the hole in the firewall is just a little bit wrong, you can create a resistance/wear location.

Back