• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trick Air Ski Plane fly-in at Jackson Seaplane Base McGregor, MN Saturday February 11th, 2023

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
The 8th Annual is on the calendar. Let's see if we are as tough as last year....

The move to February was rewarded last year with a high temp of -5 for the day. Clear blue and 22 would be a nice change.

We will be 100% on the lake and will have fire, food and beverages. We will have a few bonfire pits and some pallets with plywood to get your feet off the ice.

We will attempt to plow a runway again for our wheeled friends and drag a good ski plane surface. The Blue Moose (formerly the Horseshoe Lake Inn) will cater a lunch menu. (As always food is compliments of Trick Air Skis). We may move the parking towards the northeast corner of the lake by the restaurant to get away from some perennial soft spots and overflow from some known springs. Likely will slide the runway a bit to the north also. Please stay tuned for updates on this.

If you are looking to come up on Friday and/or stay over on Saturday Big Sandy Lodge is the next lake over.

Here is a link to them: Big Sandy Lodge their phone is 218-426-5040

We will have snow and runway information as we get closer to the date. As of today we have plenty of snow and decent ice with lots of overflow that we are hoping a cold January will freeze up.

For advanced planning we are MN61 and we are about 8 miles NE of KHZX which has 100LL and tie downs.

More news to come......

Feb 4, 2023 Update

UPDATE 1 week out.............

Ice is not going to allow plowing down to a hard surface (too much snow and layers of bad ice). We will be able to pack hard a good ski surface with a Snowcat with a plow. Should be good for tundra's and ski equipped planes.

We are moving north to take advantage of packed snow from some previous events on the lake. We will be in the bay to the north and east end of the lake and we will have the tent there and ample hard pack for parking and walking around.

I have a map below with the runway marked in green we will roll and mark with pine boughs. Left traffic for arrivals and please respect the red marked areas as no fly over. Parking is in orange and the packed snowmobile trail is marked in blue. Please use caution as we will be sharing the lake with snowmobiles and the public. Use 122.9 and we will be on the ground monitoring and providing advisories.

Food is provided by Trick Air and we will have pulled pork and sides and lots of hot beverages.

Updates on current weather can be found using KHZX (McGregor Isador) and we are forecasting landing to the west with a turn to the right after landing to taxi back to parking.

Snow and runway conditions updated on the TrickAir or Jackson SPB Facebook pages and you can always call 612-963-1655 and get me day off.

2023 Trick Ski plane runway.jpg

Attachments

• 2023 Trick Ski plane runway.jpg
    2023 Trick Ski plane runway.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 68
Update Friday February 10

Lake is setting up perfectly. We had the Snow Cat out this morning which packed and broke up the crusty snow layers. We followed up with a drag and we have a very good ski friendly runway. It is as depicted and threshold is marked with orange snow fence. It rolls out to hard pack snowmobile trail and you can taxi back to parking area which is also very hard pack.

For wheels the snowmobile trail to the north of the runway is hard pack and should be good for Super Cubs and taildraggers with bush tires. I would be ok on 850s in my 180, but landing is your discretion. I would not land a standard nose wheel or standard tire aircraft on the hard pack.

We will be on 122.9 and use caution as we will be using the hard pack snowmobile trail for taxi back and wheeled landings. We will have civilians on the ramp and milling about so use caution when starting and taxi and with care.

Jackson

638810A2-DC17-4917-90B5-8F9DC680F5C6.jpg

Attachments

• 638810A2-DC17-4917-90B5-8F9DC680F5C6.jpg
    638810A2-DC17-4917-90B5-8F9DC680F5C6.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 41
Paul....THANK YOU for hosting this event. Hard to believe it has been 8 years. Great job. Maybe next year I will put the skis on and head cross country to attend. That would be fun.

Brad.....Thank you for the pictures. Awesome as always!!

Bill

Good times, way warmer than last year and arm not in a sling.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Back