• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Heat for Hangar?

Google suggested infrared- surprised you are the only one who has used it.

Anyone else with infrared experience?
This is mine, a simple system. It operates on propane, does a nice job making it comfortable to work under. However, the rate of fuel consumption I thought was high. In 5 weeks of use it went through three 100 gallon tanks of propane. That I could understand, until the price of propane doubled. It cost over $1100 to heat the hanger for those 5 weeks. When I installed the heater the propane price was half of the cost to refill. So I had the propane removed and don't use it any more. That was 20 years ago, who knows what the cost would be today? There was likely a lot of heat loss into the upper section of the hangar and the door wasn't as tight as it ought to be even though it was clamped closed.

20230102_115930.jpg

Attachments

• 20230102_115930.jpg
    20230102_115930.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 70
Anyone else with infrared experience?
You must not have seen my previous post. I have the Eneradiant tube heater in a shop within my hangar. It is an insulated 22 by 19 by 13 tall enclosure where I welded 4130 tube aircraft structure with my Syncrowave 250 welder. I liked it because there wasn't air blowing around and what I was welding was warm. It didn't seem to use too much propane either.

I have the radiant heat in my shop, almost as big as the hangar but not quite. 14’ ceiling, so yes there is some separation. I love it, and it’s extremely efficient. Only gripe is working under a vehicle or similar. If the IR can’t ‘see it’, it’s cold. I would definitely recommend it. My brand is Schwank.

Think of it this way - the sun is radiant heat.

The sun emits a far wider range of wavelengths than an infra-red heater. An LED flashlight emits visible light. The sun emits visible light. The sun damages paint and fabric so an LED flashlight will damage paint and fabric. Same false logic.

I suggest that it is the sun's UV wavelengths that damage paint and fabric. Infra-red radiant heaters don't emit UV.

Yes, the IR heater will warm the fabric. Will it damage it? Depends on how hot it gets.

The sun emits a far wider range of wavelengths than an infra-red heater.
Well, obviously - - - No false logic. Fact is, an IR source will warm fabric, and that which is dark to visual light is typically dark to IR.

The question was, "can radiant heat affect fabric?" Furthermore, the word 'radiant' is applicable to so much more than IR.

I know you know this - - - -

Just for smart-alek giggles - - - Ever notice anything while standing too close to a wood-burning stove - without actually touching it?

Last edited:
Unless I’m not seeing the picture correctly, Although the Infrared heaters are incredibly efficient, they still should be vented to the outside to prevent monoxide build up

Unless I’m not seeing the picture correctly, Although the Infrared heaters are incredibly efficient, they still should be vented to the outside to prevent monoxide build up
Oh my goodness my friend, if you're referring to the pictures I posted, I apologoze - those pictures were taken "In Progress." My heaters are absolutely vented to the outside, ALL the heaters that have been mentioned here absolutely have to be vented outside!!! Thanks for speaking up, edit of my previous post to follow...

These things are very impressive the price is right. Need a 220V but I think for the money and ease of installation it will take the edge off. I use the 1500 version and once the oil is heated its amazing. The 220V 2500 Watt'r should be enough for an existing well insulated hangar. Maybe a small ceiling fan to turn things over.

Here is a picture of how my radiant heater is vented and then on the inside. Air comes in around the exhaust so is preheated.
Resized_20230102_142425.jpegResized_20230102_142447.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20230102_142425.jpeg
    Resized_20230102_142425.jpeg
    375.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Resized_20230102_142447.jpeg
    Resized_20230102_142447.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 47
Back