• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Not sure what's behind this FAASTeam action

I had one guy flunk because I had not taught him a stabilized approach - in a J3. If the examiner had simply asked for a 60 mph power on approach he could have easily done it.
I still don't know what a stabilized approach is in a Cub. Is there magic at 60 mph?

Right now we are trying to figure out what a "short approach" is - the local schools are asking for them, then going a mile beyond the threshold for base leg.

My discussion with the FSDO was polite and productive. They are going to be a lot more relaxed about this than either the Notice or the Letter would indicate. I.E. They are willing to work with us on the scheduling...so no 15 day requirement to complete. Furthermore, they were very clear to me that the strong focus of the re-examination is demonstrated performance of a Precision Approach which includes the LPV at Wasilla per AC 90-107.

Don't forget that the aircraft used for this "check ride" must be capable of LPV guidance and annunciation. There are many IFR approach approved GPS receivers that are not LPV capable. You can't simply fly an RNAV approved GPS to LPV minima and meet standard.

135.293 checks are different than a test for certificate or rating. I think once a test for certificate or rating starts, it can only end with a pass, fail or letter of discontinuance. The 135 check provides the evaluator a great deal of latitude. Two different animals.

I did my CFI renewal with the FAA in 2020, and they told me that we could "suspend the check ride" if I asked the "continue the check ride" if I was having an issue and needed to clear something up or get some extra training. So there is allowances for a check ride to be incomplete for at least a short time.

Much rather be discussing this stuff this way than because of a crash or two.

I did my CFI renewal with the FAA in 2020, and they told me that we could "suspend the check ride" if I asked the "continue the check ride" if I was having an issue and needed to clear something up or get some extra training. So there is allowances for a check ride to be incomplete for at least a short time.

Much rather be discussing this stuff this way than because of a crash or two.

I believe that may fall under the letter of discontinuance.

Long ago before I was a DPE I had heard talk of that. But never was there any indication of any type that I should follow that procedure. Perhaps that was a particular FSDO's policy?

Two different FSDO's - and those four statements were spread between 1978 and 2021.

I am glad to hear that you did not experience this. Gives me hope that someday I can respect the FAA again. And maybe I just ran into the only four folks to ever have experienced this, but it doesn't seem likely. I am hopeful though... always hopeful.

Two different FSDO's - and those four statements were spread between 1978 and 2021.

I am glad to hear that you did not experience this. Gives me hope that someday I can respect the FAA again. And maybe I just ran into the only four folks to ever have experienced this, but it doesn't seem likely. I am hopeful though... always hopeful.
I can tell you that a lot of what happens within a certain FSDO is up to the one individual who has been placed in charge of the DPE program. A lot of it operates on the buddy system. I know it's not supposed to, but it does.

Some people live in a balanced or symmetric world. Where there is good flying technique demonstrated there has to be some not as much. It's just a matter of sourcing them and taking prompt corrective action. Not my belief, but...

Gary

I can tell you that a lot of what happens within a certain FSDO is up to the one individual who has been placed in charge of the DPE program. A lot of it operates on the buddy system. I know it's not supposed to, but it does.

These days, I compare the FAA's structure to that of the Taliban: Lots of little Fiefdoms, supposedly all responsible to the same entity, but all sorta interpreting the "rules" in their own way.

MTV

These days, I compare the FAA's structure to that of the Taliban: Lots of little Fiefdoms, supposedly all responsible to the same entity, but all sorta interpreting the "rules" in their own way.

MTV

I've dealt with both. The Taliban's rules/enforcement are much more consistent.

Web

MTV
Mike, I don't believe that just applies to "these days". That has been my observation since the days of GADOs. Remember them? Back when they used to have an office at a nearby airport, when you could walk in at any time to talk to anyone. When their personnel stayed long enough to know who they were. They would even answer the phone when you called. They didn't use answering machines which never called back.

Martha Lunken said "half as many of us and five times as many of them." No wonder they cannot return our calls and e-mails - they are too busy avoiding tripping over each other!

No, that's not true. After Covid, and probably after 9/11, they work behind locked doors. Our property manager says she rarely sees more than one or two folks in there. I think there are ten or so offices and conference rooms - a really impressive, empty complex.

Martha Lunken said "half as many of us and five times as many of them." No wonder they cannot return our calls and e-mails - they are too busy avoiding tripping over each other!

No, that's not true. After Covid, and probably after 9/11, they work behind locked doors. Our property manager says she rarely sees more than one or two folks in there. I think there are ten or so offices and conference rooms - a really impressive, empty complex.
Bob, This started prior to the Covid "work from home" era. Al least in this district it did. Covid was just an excuse to expand the procedure.

Well it's marginally better than a systemic ethical insufficiency, but only just.

Back